New Unit: Mesoamerican Cataphract(4/5/2007)

The next stage after horseman and the stage before Knight?

Nice unit.

A "cataphract" would be IMHO a replacement for a knight. The lighter (scale instead of an advanced knight's plate) armor would make climatic sense. Given horses, I see no reason why this "what-if" unit couldn't have evolved.

Furthermore, armies tend to be of one of two types: "Close Order" (hoplites, legions, etc.) and "Loose Order" (steppe horsemen; Vikings). This seems to be driven by the type of terrain being fought over as well as population density and "warfare code" (e.g., European knights being biased towards personal combat).

So I think a Meso-American "cataphract" makes perfect sense.

Oh and BTW nice unit! :goodjob:

-Oz

EDIT / PS - I think the sword would be the least used of the cataphract's historical trio of lance, sword, and bow. If nothing else, an attack "B" with a bow would be nice. :)

-O.

I thought a Cataphract was a horseman covered in heavy armor.

The unit is ok, I like the death, but maybe make the horse move a bit, like arch up, off the ground. And have his arms move some. Defult should have the horses tail and head move a little.

Nice idea for a unit. I know you have a thing for mesoamerican cultures... :)

I don't think I'll be using it, tho', since I try to stay close to historical probabilities. There were no horses in Central America until the Spaniards came, hence a mounted warrior for the Aztecs or the Maya (or the Toltecs, Zapotecs, and Other-tecs) won't make sense for me.

But, nevertheless, a good idea!

I don't think I'll be using it, tho', since I try to stay close to historical probabilities. There were no horses in Central America until the Spaniards came, hence a mounted warrior for the Aztecs or the Maya (or the Toltecs, Zapotecs, and Other-tecs) won't make sense for me.

I dunno - Civ is all about probable, alternative historical outcomes.

Example: The "mound builder" Cahokian civilization (basically centered on the Mississippi) was mysteriously wiped out ca, 1400, which, over historical time, is awfully close to European discovery. So what if this culture was peacefully encountered by English or French explorers who traded horses for whatever. (Although stretching it a bit, given the Conquistador's zeal, superior technology, luck and pluck, this is a less likely outcome ... except that the Spanish might not have gotten there first ... )

Best,

Oz

You know, I think you should make a Preview thread like I do. It helps you make better things. People give advice and suggestions. It slows things down, but it makes the final thing much better.
It would slow things very very down with people (like me) criticizing way too much. Keep it like this and have fun. Don't bother with criticism ;)

Maybe have the horesman bend down a bit more when he's attacking. The model is good, but he needs to look more aggressive.

"Cataphract / Kataphraktoi" refers to an armored horseman. A more appropriate name for this unit would be Light Cavalry. :)

Hm, the attack looks a bit stiff from the preview.

But the unit overall looks nice. :)

I think it can be called hussar...:lol:

But I can t find INI file...and this units don t have INI file too - Mayan Warrior, Mayan Spearman. Can somebody send on my mail INI files?

For the most part, you are going to have to make your own INI file when they are lacking. Since it is just a text file, this doesn't take much doing. You can even "borrow" an INI file from an existent unit as a template. Just make sure that you only fill-in-the-blanks with files that are in the folder OR properly address the INI entry to look in a different file (traditionally the easiest way to add sounds to a unit without them).

Top Bottom