new unit: modern infantry

Balou

Jungle Bear
This is the final version of the modern infantry.
Here is short preview:

For a complete preview visit this thread:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29391

All those who already downloaded the test version should download this one too as I added and changed a lot of things.

Everything you need to play with this unit is included in the zip file.
You should read the readme file for more details.

Download the unit here:
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads/moderninfantry.zip

Update:
You can find the drop animation in this thread.

nice job!

Exelent work, I can't wait for your next unit!
I don't think the original Civ III units were enough when you take in to account the new idea of resources; Basicaly the units that are in Civ III are the same ones as in Civ II, but I think you need a more even spread to represent Armies that lack special resources, Oil being the most important- A civ with out oil cannot build Planes, tanks, modern ships or anything usefull- Modern Technology can be used to overcome the lack of oil but you ned the units to represent it.
The moden infantry is a great unit for Civs that don't have oil, at least they can defend themselves in the modern age.

Beautiful Unit Balou-etc. :D

Just dowloaded the final version and already got a vacant place in my ongoing scenario...

---

SM, infantry units are very much needed to reflect ongoing technological advances not only via portraying machines (mech inf- style) but I realised that if oil is the most important resource, rubber is no # 2 (I am currently at WWI technological level, playing against my next door neighbour (he's got M1s)- the clue: none of us have got rubber- but we both have oil... he builds tanks- I build the trusty cavemen... for the next scenario I have already introduced the guerilla/militia to be within the update chain :S... and I'll make rubber more common... *sigh*

The trick is to research Refining or Replaceable parts as soon as possible, I usualy make a beeline for refining as soon as I get in the Industrial period, it make getting techs a little more expensive, but it gives you more time to secure enemy sources of rubber/oil if there is none in your territory- I usualy don't have any trouble cos My expansionist policy is usualy to grab any deserts/jungle/forest in sight early on; Jungle may seem like useless terrain, but you can bet that where the Rubber is going to be.

I do plan to do some special units for extra historical correctness and for civs with resource problems. For example; A coal powered battleship (Naval pwer is impossible without oil, the best you can build is ironclads) and a Super-advanced tank (I'm thinking two ideas for that at the moment, a Mini electric powered tank or a super heavy Nuclear powered tank; very expensive, but heavily armoured with advanced armour and perhaps Antimissile lazer technology- kind of like a personalized "Starwars" project- for shooting down incoming ememy fire).
But I think the most important Zero resource unit is the modern infantry- For one thing it means the A.I. can put up a better fight, no more defending with riflemen against advanced tanks :)

I got an idea a couple of days ago for a cheap modern unit that could be built by civs with little access to resources...the "technical." You could call it whatever you want but basically technicals are pickup trucks with large caliber machine guns mounted in the bed. Very popular in African guerilla warfare and you may remember seeing them in "Black Hawk Down." Myself, I'd probably only give this unit to the Zulus and Egyptians, eh, maybe Babylon and Persia also...

Along the same lines, I think it would be useful to have an aircraft that required no resources for the smaller civs. I was thinking maybe an F-4 Phantom. It would serve two purposes, first as a nice segue for all civs between the WWII style fighters and the 80s F14/15 type jet fighters in the game now. Second, resource poor civs could continue to build this aircraft while I'm building the more advanced F-15. This would be historically accurate as McDonnell Douglas sold zillions of F-4s to countries all around the world, many still in use to this day, plus I wouldn't have to see my F-15s shooting down Spitfires and Stukas. :( An older style MiG would be good for this as well.

Awesome awesome unit Balou. Thanks! :goodjob:

I just downloaded and tested the finished unit, and, I just gotta say that gun battles between two Modern Infantry using "ModernInfantryAttackA(3)" as the attack sound, sounds. so. cool. :love:

Thank you.
Yes, I think the transition between the infantry and mechanized infantry was needed.
I was kind of dissapointed when I first played the game and found out that there is no "useful" modern foot soldier.
I hope the AI makes good use of this unit. The only problem is that it comes late in the game.

I´m already working on new units but thats only "poly pushing" right now. It´ll take one month or more until I can really start a new one.

Amazing honestly this is better than the units firaxis made (i think) just perfect

its a shame that you can't produce units as fast as SM but may i ask what did you use to make that unit? if it was 3d what program

Ohh yea also when i downloaded the .zip everything was in twice and the file is like 1.46 MB when you do that so maybe you should redo the zip and make sure it has one of everything.

Originally posted by Incubus0223
Ohh yea also when i downloaded the .zip everything was in twice and the file is like 1.46 MB when you do that so maybe you should redo the zip and make sure it has one of everything.

Everything was in twice, not just sounds? Because he included alot of different sounds to choose from.

a totaly stunning unit! well done!

That is a very well done unit, I plan on using it in my personal Civ 3+ mod. However, rather than call it Modern Infantry, I would call it "Light Infantry," because it is essentially mechanized infantry without the heavy equipment. Modern Infantry would really be more along the lines of the LandWarrior project, with something resembling the "Soldier of the Future" Concept. Essentially Modern Infantry equiped with advanced weapons like OICW, with advanced personal communication equipment, superior body armor, and advanced Anti-Air and Anti-Tank capability. Needless to say, I would like to see someone make that unit.

Balou, I never made a unit before but I may give it a shot, would it be ok if I used your Modern Infantry as a base to make my unit off of? I never made a unit and I am not sure if I can even do it, but if I do make it, I will let you see if before it gets posted and will give you credit. Please let me know. Thanks, Joe

I plan to delete mech infantry and replace it with marines and add this unit to go along with modern armor but I don't know how to balance these two units. A unit that is cheaper but in every way weaker doesn't work at all (look at the battleship and the destroyer) and one requiring less resources means they'll never fight together. Anyone have an idea?

Wow I have to say im impressed:goodjob: I wish i could start makin new units but I havent found animation shop 3 yet:cry: But youll start seein my units when civ 4 comes out :D

It would be better to replace Mech Infantry with Modern infantry in the infantry upgrade chain.

Now, I can have Mech Infantry and Modern Armor "Wheeled" to make the Modern Infantry relatively more versatille.

Top Bottom