1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Unit: Roman Merchant

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Unit Graphics' started by Orthanc, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Orthanc

Orthanc Shipwright

Hi there! This was a request (darn it, forget by who, eh), basically it's an ancient transport for all your, um, ancient, transporting needs!

Now you'll probably not give it an attack, but there's an arrow attack in there anywho just in case.

Download here:
    Roman Transport

Previews:

Have fun on them high seas, yar.

2. odintheking

odintheking Lighting the way...

First post! Sweet. Nice sails, :goodjob:.

3. Antiochus VII

Antiochus VII Basileus

It's beautiful! At last a Roman transport!!! :)

4. utahjazz7

utahjazz7 Chieftain

Hey, that looks great and pretty distinct to me. Nice work.

5. Plotinus

Plotinus Philosopher Administrator

That's a very nice-looking ship. I should think this could be pretty versatile, too.

6. 7ronin

7ronin 海軍少佐

This is really a nice bit of work.

7. mrtn

mrtn Shaven not stirred

Bah, Plotinus posted my thoughts, so I have to sit in a corner and sulk. ;)

8. Stormrage

Stormrage Ever Present Taskmaster

Oooh, pretty :) Its great, Orthanc! Thanks!

9. Yoda Power

Yoda Power ✫✫✫✫✫✫✫

Pretty cool:goodjob:

10. Grandraem

Grandraem Alchemist

Great job on a very nice ship.:)

11. BadKharma

BadKharma Chieftain

Yet another very nice ship thanks for keeping the shipyards open!

12. woodelf

woodelf Bard

Great attention to detail. :thumbsup:

13. Takhisis

Takhisis ΑΛΗΘΩС ΑΝΕСΤΗ

Great details and stuff, but i´ll make the coment when I D/L it. it could be used as a transport, though, it´s better than the galley, perhaps and improved version of it...

14. Mithadan

Mithadan Wandering Woodsman

That's a really good looking ship (which is to be expected, given who made it), and a great idea for one too.

15. Orthanc

Orthanc Shipwright

Thanks everyone, the compliments are greatly appreciated!
    :thanx:

16. AbuHab

AbuHab Chieftain

Great job!

I’m the one who originally requested this unit, so I’ll provide a little info as to the type of ship upon which this unit was based, as well as similar ships.

I requested this unit because, even with the available player-created ship units, Civ III lacked a good ancient sail-based cargo ship unit. There were a number of cargo ship units based on the galley unit, but these were all the wrong shape, being deckless and much too narrow in the beam.

Ancient sail-based cargo units were the principal bulk load carriers in the Mediterranean for at least a couple thousand years. They were variously known as round ships, corbitas, holkades, pontos, and navis oneraria, but they all shared the common features of a broad beam, a shallow draft, a deck (usually), and one (or at most two) large square sails.

The typical Mediterranean merchant ship of antiquity, generically referred to as a round ship, changed relatively little from the Bronze Age onward, except in terms of size. Evidence from underwater excavations of shipwrecks and from ancient art reveals that these ships featured rounded planked hulls with raised bows and sterns. They usually sported a single mast placed in the center of the hull and were rigged with a single square sail. In Roman times, some vessels had a second mast situated forward of the main mast. Cargo was typically carried within the vessels, under the deck, and sometimes also on top of the deck.

The oldest of these sorts of ships would probably be the Phoenician round ships. These were sturdy, durable cargo vessels that traveled throughout the Mediterranean and beyond, even transporting tin from the mines of Cornwall, England back to the eastern end of the Mediterranean as early as 1350 BC. They generally sported a wicker fence along the sheerstrake to protect the cargo carried on deck.

The acme of ancient sail-based cargo ships was probably the Roman Merchantman, which Orthanc has been kind enough to create for us. Many of these merchant ships, commonly referred to as “grain ships,” traveled between Alexandria, Egypt and Ostia, Italy to supply the vast amounts of grain needed to feed Rome. They were also used to carry passengers. In 62 AD, Saint Paul was wrecked on Malta while voyaging towards Rome in a grain ship with 276 persons on board.

I plan on using Orthanc’s unit as a general round ship unit representing all of the ancient sail-based cargo ships. For game purposes, a good successor unit would be Aaglo's Cog unit.

In real life, this ship wouldn’t have any kind of effective attack capability. However, Civ takes some liberties with real life for game play purposes, as it should, so I think the basic arrow attack provided by Orthanc is appropriate.

Thank you for a much needed and wonderfully done unit, Orthanc!