New Unit: Siege Archer

utahjazz7

Deity
Okay, this unit was requested way back in January as an Assyrian Siege Archer. Although, I've always wanted to make the unit, I was never sure that I could actually do it. First, I wasn't sure about using two figures in an animation. Second I had never done an archer unit before, so I didn't know if I could pull that off.

Well, I finally gave it a shot, and was pretty happy with what I ended up with. I'm a lot happier with what Aluminium turned my unit into. Thank you Aluminium. In his own . . .

"Here are the changes I made:
- fixed some colors of the palette
- made shadows lighter
- changed the speed (if necessary)
- new Victory FLC"

Louis XXIV, you can now download the Siege Archer.

Looks very good, very smooth animations :)
Only thing is that perhaps it would have looked better if the archer shot upwards, but that's just nitpicking ;)

I love it! :D thank you :)

Way cool. This would be a good repalcement for the babylonian Bowman, It would have the same sats (2.2.1 right?)

I'd like to see a Qin Dynasty Siege archer, like in Hero, the attack on the Caligraphy school Scene...

I'd like to address two small points. I think that, since this is a siege archer, the archer should fire at a higher elevation. Secondly, in the death animation, I think the bodies and the shield should "bounce" a little bit when they hit the ground. There's no shock value when they hit the ground currently. But those are minor. It's still a really great unit. :goodjob:

I love your units. Nice work. Especially if this is your first Archer.

Nice Flavour Unit Replacement, I feel this has to be squeezed in somewhere...I may add it as a Siege Unit available with Mathematics, Maybe a 2(3)-2-1 - Cost 30 or 40

Nice work

I've always found archers to be harder to do... working out the arrow pull and drawing the bow... But this is great :D

The skin tone might be a bit too yellow... Minor quible

Finally! Louis XXIV will be estatic. It looks superb.

Looks like they have hepatitis, might want to make the skin less yellow, and it would be much better if they shot upwards but straight is still fine. More bounce is needed in the death too.

Finally we got an Assyrian UU. Make it available with Mathematics and make it 2.2.1 with possible bombardment of 1-3. Now we need a better Tiglath-Pileser leaderhead and Assyrian is done. :goodjob:

It's great.

However, I think you can improve on it.
1) Give the deaths more "bounce" to the falling shields and people.
2) The archer should fire a bit more up.
3) Try making the attack readiness a bit slower, about the part when they crouch down.
4) In fact, I think that the whole thing needs to slow down its pace :(

It's still great, though. Just wanted to add some constructive criticism.

Yayyy!!!!! Thank you, utah!!! :bounce:

utahjazz7 said:
Although, I've always wanted to make the unit, I was never sure that I could actually do it. First, I wasn't sure about using two figures in an animation. Second I had never done an archer unit before, so I didn't know if I could pull that off.

Well you did good :goodjob:

Very cool!

The skin doesn't look too yellow to me, but I haven't compared him to other units.

BTW, that would be a cool Archer to have solo! :)

thestonesfan said:
BTW, that would be a cool Archer to have solo! :)

I was hoping that no one would say that. :)

But, now I have good reasons not to do it. Afterall, his dead body won't jump off the ground, he won't shoot high enough in the air, and he won't be cured of hepatitis which is causing his skin to be yellow. Poor guy. :(

utahjazz7 said:
I was hoping that no one would say that. :)

But, now I have good reasons not to do it. Afterall, his dead body won't jump off the ground, he won't shoot high enough in the air, and he won't be cured of hepatitis which is causing his skin to be yellow. Poor guy. :(

Actually, if you were to just make an Assyrian archer without the shield carrier, then it wouldn't be a "siege archer" and so you could just have him firing at the angle he's at now... :)

Btw, I hope you're not offended by the criticism... I meant it to be constructive..... :undecide:

Top Bottom