1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Unit: Spanish Pikeman (May 9, 2005)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Unit Graphics' started by utahjazz7, May 9, 2005.

1. utahjazz7

utahjazz7 Chieftain

Here's a unit. Use it. Love it. ;) I created this unit while writing my unit making tutorial. To be honest, I don't know that I ever want to see it again. It's been a long month with this guy. Umm . . . LouLong had requested months ago; I don't know anything about it.

Download

2. Yoda Power

Yoda Power ✫✫✫✫✫✫✫

The same good quality as always:).

3. mrtn

mrtn Shaven not stirred

Hooray! That's a sweet surprise. :thumbsup:

4. Mithadan

Mithadan Wandering Woodsman

Right on! Funny, the Lord of the Mods was having the darndest time deciding on a spearman graphic for one of their unit lines... Frankly, there aren't enough spearmen units out there. That is to say, a big "Thank-you!!" to Mr. utahjazz7!

5. utahjazz7

utahjazz7 Chieftain

Well, that's a nice coincidence. I didn't even know about the need for a spearman, since the LOTM team is basically in seclusion. ;)

6. Kinboat

Kinboat Conan the Librarian

Cool :D And nice to hear the tutorial is out.

And I know where you're coming from in not wanting to look at a unit again. I frequently get to that point (sometimes before I'm even done with it).

7. mrtn

mrtn Shaven not stirred

Would this include that Kai Lord/Ranger unit you started? :sad:
    I'm hesitant to jog your modelling arm, but I haven't heard anything about it for a good long while now... :blush:

@utah: We're not in seclusion, but rather in the first stage of testing; the private beta. If you're interested, send a PM to PCHighway. :)

8. Plotinus

Plotinus Philosopher Administrator

Very nice unit, and I like the way we can see his arm strapped to the inside of the shield. It could upgrade to embryodead's Mozarab Infantry.

9. utahjazz7

utahjazz7 Chieftain

I know that you aren't really in an actual secluded state. But, with the private forum and all, the discussion has been moved away from the general public. Yeah, I was on the list to be eligible for the private beta, but I simply don't have time. Oh well.

10. utahjazz7

utahjazz7 Chieftain

Normally by the time I start animating the death animation, I'm ready to start building the next model. I prevent myself from actually doing that though because I know I will not go back and finish the first for a long, long time. :)

11. CamJH

CamJH Uncle Cam

I reach that point on just about every unit. :) I make my way through almost all of the animations, saving the death for last [size=-2](because that one usually is the biggest pain in the @$$)[/size], but when I get to that point even the thought of opening up Poser makes me nauseous. After a couple of days with the desktop icon staring me down, I concede and finish it up. But then of course once I release the unit I get so pumped up about posting the final product that I jump right into putting together the model for the next one. :rolleyes: It's a vicious cycle. :)

BTW... Great unit utahjazz7. :thumbsup:
    And my congrats on finishing up the tutorial as well. I expect some good things to come from it.

12. Snorken

Snorken Chieftain

Looks good! :)

13. onedreamer

onedreamer Dragon

it's a nice unit, however I would never call it a spanish pikeman. Pikemen of that age didn't use any shield because the pike+armor were too heavy, they had a different helm and a different armor. I'd rather use this unit as late-classical.

14. utahjazz7

utahjazz7 Chieftain

Well, given the option between an ancient Spearman coming with the Bronze Working technology and Pikeman, I'll take Pikeman. ;)

15. Rob (R8XFT)

Rob (R8XFT) Ancient Briton Super Moderator

I really like the unit. Thanks for doing the tutorial as well :) !

16. Richard Cribb

Richard Cribb He does monologues

I agree 100%.
    That unit is very fine indeed, but it has very little, if any, resemblance to a Spanish pikeman.

17. utahjazz7

utahjazz7 Chieftain

The concept art for the unit can be found in the link below. The page comes from the DBA online, and it is for army #171: Medieval Spanish, 1350AD-1485AD. Click on the "Spears (Sp)" button.

All complaints can be directed toward them. ;)

http://www.dbaol.com/armies/army_171_figure_1.htm

18. Sword_Of_Geddon

Sword_Of_Geddon Mysterious Jungle Warrior

I'm glad you haven't left us Utah...great work!

19. Bjornlo

Bjornlo Chieftain

@Kinboat: hehe, I'm feeling that right now about the x303 spaceship I've been working on...

@Utahjazz7: another well done unit. Also thanks alot for the tutorial. Maybe I'll finally get Poser sorted out. I sure appreciate your efforts.

20. Palantir30

Palantir30 Chieftain

Cant have enough Spearmen.

Personally, I changed Gold resource into Bronze and made Bronze a requirement for many early units. For example, you get your regular Spearman when you get the Bronzeworking Tech, but if you have the Bronze resource too, most Civ's can make a civ-specific Hoplite-class spearman instead. So yeah- more spearman units is better. Thanks!