New Unit TARDIS from "Doctor Who"

Vuldacon

Dedicated to Excellence
Supporter
This is the TARDIS ...was used in the British "Doctor Who" Television Program as a Time Machine, "Spacecraft" Transport.
TARDIS means Time And Relative Dimensions In Space.
Winner of the January 2009 Unit of the Month Contest :trophy:

_

Preview Order: Teleport, Default, Run, Visible Fortify, Invisible Fortify, AttackAB, Optional Separate AttackA, Optional Separate AttackB, Fidget, Victory and Death.
...Please judge this Unit in Game because the Transparencies and Animations were specifically made to look and work well in the Game rather than the Previews.

This Unit was made specifically for the "Steampunk" MOD
by request but if anyone has a game where the TARDIS can also find
a home, you are most welcome to add it :)

Included Files:
Civilopedia TARDISLarge.pcx and TARDISSmall.pcx
TARDIS_units_32.pcx,
Adjusted .ini file, (Set for AttackAB only and the Visible Fortify.
The Capture uses the TARDISFidget.flc if desired). The INI is the way I would use the Unit but, naturally, you can set it as you desire :) This is the Reason for the included Extra animations.

11 Animations (flcs) (2280 Frames):
TARDISDefault.flc,
TARDISRun.flc,
TARDISFortify.flc, (Visible Fortify, Windows Darken and Light Out)
InvisibleTARDISFortify.flc, (Optional to set the Fortify Transparent)
TARDISFidget.flc,
TARDISAttackAB.flc, (Main Attack with Combined Attack A and B)
TARDISAttackA.flc, (Optional Separate "Energy Bolt" Attack)
TARDISAttackB.flc, (Opional Sepatate "Force-field" Attack)
TARDISVictory.flc,
TARDISDeath.flc,
TARDISTeleport.flc (Uses Paradrop setting)

Sounds: Mixed, Put together and Adjusted for all animations.
Altered some TARDIS sounds from (http://www.kasterborus.com/tardis/tardis/) and made and mixed in others.

Note that CIV Specific Color was Not Wanted for this Unit as it is
intended to be a One of a Kind, Single Unit... However, if you desire
CIV Specific Colors, you can paint an area you prefer such as the small
front sign.
The Four applied Palettes contain the CIV #1 Red Specific Colors you
can use to Add Red Civ Specific Color.

Animations with the Same Palettes:
*Default and Run
*Attacks AB, A and B
*Death, Fidget, Fortify, Invisible Fortify and Teleport
*Victory

I made the "Energy Bolt" Long and the "Force-field" Large to
accommodate Bombardment distances if you desire a Bombardment
setting. I recommend One Tile Distance to Fit the animation and Set
"Ranged Attack" for the TARDIS unit in the CIV Editor.
I also recommend setting the TARDIS as a Transport Unit as that is
its basic functional intention :)
Set the animations and included Optional animations as you prefer to
use the TARDIS in your Games...for example, you can omit the
Attacks and simply use the TARDIS as a Transport Unit.
You can use the Invisible Fortify if you prefer it.
I Recommend setting the Run Moves to 5 or more.

I created animations to provide the Illusion of the TARDIS pulsing
as Transparent as possible for the CIV Game but with no
Real Transparent Colors available and a limit of 160 Palette Colors,
this was a Task. Due to the translucent light smoke and shadow
shades used, The TARDIS animations look much better in Game
than viewing them in a preview program such as "Flicster" or these .gif Previews.

The TARDIS is Not suppose to be able to be destroyed and I was
not sure what the TARDIS would use for an Attack but I made them
for use to be used as you desire this Unit to function in your Games.

All Game Tested.
You can Download the Zip File
Here

...I hope you will enjoy this SCI-FI Time Machine "Transport" Unit.

Last edited:
Amazing :wow: This has to be your best unit ever, in terms of invention, visual effects, colors !!! Can't figure out what the palette looks like :faint: Really great, my friend, and I ain't saying this because it's you. I sincerely love it.

Whoa! Impressive Vuldacon! :)

Quite a display of animations you have there. Looks great.:goodjob::)

Unless someone comes up with a unit that does circus tricks and makes coffee at the same time, this has definitely got my vote for the unit competition!

Thanks for all the Kind Words you guys :)

Stormrage... The TARDIS is Huge on the inside and when it opens in the Victory animation, you see the Console.

Here is a TARDIS Small pcx with White Background for any of you who prefer a white Background.

Attachments

• TARDISSmall.zip
    1.7 KB · Views: 158
Mesmerising, I keep scrolling back to stare at the preview animations. You've done a great job on this Vuldacon. The additional animations will make this a very flexible unit. Thanks for making us Steampunk modders very happy chappies.

Whoa! My power went out for awhile, and when I come back on line....THIS! It's...beautiful! I choked up. I really did. Vuldacon, you are a master of the craft. No one else I can think of could do that much with a box. As one of the primary creators on the Steampunk project I thank you sincerely and promise to use it wisely and to feature it prominently in the Lost Worlds Mod. I can attest that Vuldacon & I traded alot of emails while he was working on this and that he fretted over every frame. There are a lot of subtle things in here that you won't even notice at first.

Now a few questions for experienced hands: how would you configure this to paradrop to anywhere it wants to go, including other continents? If this is configured to be a teleport unit (pad), has anyone figured out a way to include a teleport animation? Can this be a paradrop and teleport unit simultaneously?

Now a few questions for experienced hands: how would you configure this to paradrop to anywhere it wants to go, including other continents? If this is configured to be a teleport unit (pad), has anyone figured out a way to include a teleport animation? Can this be a paradrop and teleport unit simultaneously?
As a theoretician, based on my reading of A Study on Teleportation, it should paradrop to move itself. I'm not sure if there is an upper limit to the range. Alternatively, it could be a helicopter, I think. If that's possible it would mean that the TARDIS could "jump" when it starts its turn outside a city, unlike a paratrooper. It needs to be a telepad to that other units can teleport to it - units can only teleport to a telepad as far as I know. The telepad can either be an improvement or a unit. & since the units must be given the teleport ability in the editor, you can be very selective on who gets to use the TARDIS.

Personally, I just set the TARDIS to Airdrop the distance I want and set it to Transport Only 2 Foot Units at a time. This way, any Foot Unit will Load in the TARDIS and be Teleported where it goes. Set Unload as well. I also set Rebase so as a Land Unit it can Rebase from ANY area. The AI will not use Land Transports anyway so I do not worry about them.
Of course you can set anything you like...all depends on the factors you want to use concerning the TARDIS.

Top Bottom