1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Unit Template crashes game

Discussion in 'Mod Creation Help' started by RadioSpace(+), Jan 12, 2019 at 8:53 AM.

1. RadioSpace(+)

RadioSpace(+) Chieftain

are there any changes that need to be made to ModBuddy->NewProject->NewUnit project before you can use it in game?

the new unit is usable in-game until it is built, or completes a move then the game crashes.

I just started learning civ6 moding. after searching around I've got it down to the database log file.

[1108957.611] [Localization]: StartupErrorMessages.xml
    [1108957.611] [Localization]: Input XML does not contain database entry tags. GameData, GameInfo or Database
    [1108977.544] [Localization]: Validating Foreign Key Constraints...
    [1108977.544] [Localization]: Passed Validation.
    [1108977.760] [Configuration]: Validating Foreign Key Constraints...
    [1108977.760] [Configuration]: Passed Validation.
    [1108994.479] [FullTextSearch]: Initializing FullTextSearch
    [1108997.170] [Gameplay]: Validating Foreign Key Constraints...
    [1108997.194] [Gameplay]: Passed Validation.
    [1109000.028] [Configuration]: Validating Foreign Key Constraints...
    [1109000.028] [Configuration]: Passed Validation.
    [1110065.342] [FullTextSearch]: FTS - Creating Context
    [1110084.620] [FullTextSearch]: FTS - Creating Context

and searching the error comes up with something is spelled wrong. but searching the xml files doesn't come-up with anything when I search "Gameinfo" or "database" or other combinations of capital letter mix-ups.

what i'm really asking here is for someone to point me in the right direction for debugging civ6 mods in general. I understand SQL and XML. I have downloaded a SQLite browser (DB Browser) and now I can't seem to find anything about the database schema and how everything works together. which i'm sure is a long process anyway.

Thanks for listening.

2. LeeS

LeeS Imperator

The error you've highlighted is meaningless. It is a Firaxis small woopsie and has no effect on anything. It is not coming from your mod. Everyone gets it.

What you are describing sounds more like an animation error. Take a look at Modding.log to see if any error messages are being generated there. I'd also look at Artdef.log to see if any errors are being reported there that have filenames and file-paths that match to your mod. At the current time I know far more about Database issues than Artdef issues if the culprit really is an artdef issue.

If you had a fatal syntax error either in xml or sql you'd see a report of such in Database.log. If you missed defining a primary element (or a syntax error made the game not load all your code) before you attempted to refer to it in your xml or sql code, you would get an Invalid Reference error in Database.log, and you would get the pop-up message about "bad mods" and then be shoved back to the game's main menu.

It is also possible that while your SQL/XML code does not cause an SQL database error while loading, the game simply is not able to implement an ability or whatnot you've attempted to create via Modifiers, UnitAbilities, UnitAbilityModifiers, etc.

After opening your SQL database viewer, open file C:\Users\[YourUserName]\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Cache/DebugGameplay.sqlite to see the contents of the database after the game's base code, expacs, DLC, and all mods have loaded their code. You can start a test game with everything active and then once in-game simply exit direct to desktop to preserve the "last" contents of the Database. This will allow you to inspect the contents of the various game-tables, their valid column-names, and the rows that have been successfully implemented into each table the last time the game loaded. You should probably not try to have file DebugGameplay.sqlite open while the game is loading, though you can swap from the game to your database viewer and open the DebugGameplay.sqlite file once you are in-game.

You can study the structures of the game database, it's tables, column definitions and requirements, etc., also by opening file (for Vanilla) C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets\Gameplay\Data\Schema/01_GameplaySchema.sql

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019 at 10:39 AM
  3. RadioSpace(+)

RadioSpace(+) Chieftain

Thank you. looking into the art side of this whole thing and finding this post where there is no Artdef. just the Mods.Art.xml and .sql and the mod works with stock art. I think I might have needed to download the dev assets which I passed over before. although i'm not sure if using an .artdef file would require the assets or if its something inside one of the collections in the artdef that causes the dependancy.

4. RadioSpace(+)

RadioSpace(+) Chieftain

works now that I downloaded the asstes