1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Units: 4 Spiders (September 24, 2004)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Unit Graphics' started by Kinboat, Sep 24, 2004.

1. Misfit_travel

Misfit_travel Emperor

Outstanding artwork (as usual).

Thanks for all the units you do. It makes modding so much more fun to be able to dream up ways to include the exceptional units you make.

Misfit

2. zulu9812

zulu9812 The Newbie Nightmare

Dunno about anyone else, but I get a corrupted archive on the spider wolf

3. Zurai

Zurai King

I covered this earlier in the thread ;) It's not corrupted, you just need to be creative opening it. If you have Windows XP, use the built in unzipper; otherwise, try downloading the latest versions of WinRar or WinZip and using those.

4. stainz

stainz Prince

if ya use winrar... just repair the archive using zip compression. should open fine after that is done :)

EDIT: or try this

5. Kinboat

Kinboat Conan the Librarian

I've uploaded the file again... The first download said it was corrupted for me too. This one downloaded ok. Hope it works for anyone having a problem.

6. zulu9812

zulu9812 The Newbie Nightmare

7. DJ Bonebraker

DJ Bonebraker a.k.a Laura

No problems for me. BTW, I've decided to go ahead with the generic spider egg unit, in case anybody wants it. I'm posting it here, if that's not okay with you, KB, I'll just remove it and make a new thread (this has to be some kind of unit making record) The egg is intended to be the result of a spider enslaving a unit and could be treated as either a flag unit (as I mentioned earlier) or an immobile foot unit that can be transported back using a land transport (you could also give it the "rebase" option so it can be sent to the nearest town without any kind of transport). Once it's back in town (whichever method you use) it can then be "hatched" (upgraded) into whatever is your best spider available. Or if you're using all 4 types of spiders at once, you could have 4 separate egg units that upgrade to their respective spiders.

Whatever, just have fun with it. BTW, those who have extreme arachniphobia really shouldn't look at the previews or download the unit, since the animations are rather creepy. Preview order is fidget (twice) and death. the default animation was made from the first frame of the death animation, so nothing to really see there.

I've also created a giant spiders resource graphics, which I'll be adding to my Fantasy Minor Civs resource file (I'll update once I've finished adding a few more resources).

Attached Files:

8. Kinboat

Kinboat Conan the Librarian

I don't mind at all :D It looks great... and it's a great idea for the enslavement ability.

9. Dom Pedro II

Dom Pedro II Modder For Life

Oh... great... a pulsating spider egg... and here I thought I couldn't be terrified any more... :rolleyes:

10. Sword_Of_Geddon

Sword_Of_Geddon Mysterious Jungle Warrior

Hey, Kinboat, maybe you should make a spider that towers over the cities(The Queen Spider), that could lay those giant eggs...

11. Dom Pedro II

Spiders don't have "queens"...

12. DJ Bonebraker

Glad you guys like it. :D BTW, it only pulsates when it fidgets, fortifies or is loaded into a trasnport (Airship captain: "Full steam ahead!!! I want to get those things off my ship before they hatch!!). If I can get the flag unit thing to work (without it generating victory points or disappearing when you take it to your capital), then I'll use that method. Otherwise, I'll make it an air unit (since I don't have true air units in my mod), and give the spiders the "transports air units" flag, and 1 transport capacity. Either that or give them a 1 unit foot transport (so regular foot units can "ride" the spiders into battle), and make the egg an immobile foot unit. I'm not sure how to get the AI to use such tactics, though. I might just give it the "rebase" ability so that it can be sent back to town that way. Might make it too easy to get spider reinforcements to the front, but the AI can also use them, so it probably would work out. I'll have to test this, once I've fully added my Gian Spiders resource as well as the giant spiders and eggs to the game.

13. Sword_Of_Geddon

They do in the movies....hehe

Ever see Arachnaphobia or 8-legged-freaks?

14. Dom Pedro II

But in Arachnaphobia, they even say that spiders don't really have queens... just this species.

15. Sword_Of_Geddon

Your correct of coarse, but I suspect the idea of a gargantian spider is horrififying to you...ever see the 1960s movie "Tarantula"?

16. tjedge1

tjedge1 Writer of writerly things

Spiders...The Vampires of the bug world. :satan:

17. Digger532

Digger532 Chieftain

Top Notch Work, great for any fantasy mod

18. Sword_Of_Geddon

Only thing: Spiders aren't bugs....they are Arachnids....mhahaha! And the Vampires of the bug world are Mosquitos, which Spiders kill and eat.. :goodjob: thats why in my book Spiders are one of the "good guys".. :lol:

19. GeneralX

GeneralX Warlord

Maybe we need a scorpion or wasp, the natural enemies of spiders :mischief:. Perhaps the red back/black widow needs a toilet seat to hide under (sorry to those in the international community, that's an Australian thing). Nice work though :thumbsup:. I haven't been able to sleep without first checking under the bed (or the toilet seat).

20. DJ Bonebraker

Well, Civ II Test of Time (which, BTW has animated units) had a gaint Scorpion with a rider in its Sci-Fi variant. If I could figure out how to convert the .SPR files into Civ III FLC's, I'd do just that.