New Units: Egyptians (September 10th 2004)

Man, you're fast. I recalled my post to include Xen in the salutation, and your response was waiting for me before I finished.

CHances are, most othe rpeople will be able to help you ina timelly manner about thing you might need, at leas tmore timelly then i would get to it ;)

(unless it happens to pretain to Rome; I'll be first to admit I havean uncanny knack for stumbiling into the forums right after a thread about Rome has been created... odd really)

anyway, welcome to the greater community of civ addicts and junkies :)

@HooDoo

I do the same thing except that I make the units buildable everyx turns.
ex- You hook up a "village", it gives you the ability to build a specific barracks that produces a mercenary unit every x turns. This keeps it fair and lets the AI generate as many units as you do...

Dom Pedro II,

As I stated in my earlier post, the real world has intruded upon my Civ world. I promise that I will start the thread, but I don't have the time to go into the detail that I would like right now. I am an appellate attorney for the State of Texas. The agency that I represent dumped a mandamus petition on my desk this morning and I have to file a response to the mandamus by tomorrow because starting Wednesday I have to attend a three-day seminar (on Padre Island ... poor me). I won't have any spare time until Saturday.

I just took a break from working on my mandamus response and pulled up civfanatics to clear my head before getting back to work. I saw your post and just wanted to let you know that I have not abandoned the project. Believe me, I'd much rather start the thread than do what I'm doing now. But duty calls ...

Dark Russell,

That's basically how I have my game set up. And from what I can tell, the AI knows how to take advantage of the minor civ resources.

BTW ... I'm on my home computer, not a state computer! (don't want any claims of misuse of government property)!

HooDoo said:
Dom Pedro II,

As I stated in my earlier post, the real world has intruded upon my Civ world. I promise that I will start the thread, but I don't have the time to go into the detail that I would like right now. I am an appellate attorney for the State of Texas. The agency that I represent dumped a mandamus petition on my desk this morning and I have to file a response to the mandamus by tomorrow because starting Wednesday I have to attend a three-day seminar (on Padre Island ... poor me). I won't have any spare time until Saturday.

I just took a break from working on my mandamus response and pulled up civfanatics to clear my head before getting back to work. I saw your post and just wanted to let you know that I have not abandoned the project. Believe me, I'd much rather start the thread than do what I'm doing now. But duty calls ...

Dark Russell,

That's basically how I have my game set up. And from what I can tell, the AI knows how to take advantage of the minor civ resources.

Well, at least copy and paste your earlier text into a new thread in the C&C forum so we can debate without cluttering up Kinboat's thread. :)

There isn't anything else I can really add, other than great work Kinboat! :goodjob: :D

I have opened these units in game, and they look absolutely fantastic, at first I missed the two variations of the warrior unit...So that makes 9 units in total even better..I actually prefer the ALT warrior with the Eqyptian headgear, so I used the original for an Amorite (Babylonian) Warrior.

I have renamed the units thus

Warrior - Thutmose Warrior - Just grabbed a Pharoah Name
Archer - Medja Archer - This should be Medya Nubian Archer but the name was a little too long
Spearman - Close Fighter - Egyptian infantry were referred to as thus in Old Kingdom
Axeman - Menfat Axeman - Menfat were elite bodyguard troops in Old Kingdom
Pikeman - Guard Spearman - New Kingdom Elite infantry
Monk - Saitic Archer - Saitic the last Eqyptian period before the Persian conquest in about 565BC
Horus Knight - Warrior of Horus - Just a name reversal
Anubis Kinght - Knight of Anubis (I made this guy a 4-3-1 - 60) unit available with Chivalry.

Again let me say great work

Thutmose Warrior wouldn't make much sense since Thutmose (if you're referring to Thutmose III, who ruled after Queen Hatshepsut) came much later and the Egyptians already had much more advanced weaponry. How about "Warrior of Hor-aha" (one of the earliest Egyptian Pharaohs)? :) Or how about "Warrior of Upper Egypt"?

Ogedei_the_Mad said:
Thutmose Warrior wouldn't make much sense since Thutmose (if you're referring to Thutmose III, who ruled after Queen Hatshepsut) came much later and the Egyptians already had much more advanced weaponry. How about "Warrior of Hor-aha" (one of the earliest Egyptian Pharaohs)? :) Or how about "Warrior of Upper Egypt"?

Yeah... Warrior of Upper Egypt just rolls right off the tongue... :rolleyes: :D

Dom Pedro II said:
Yeah... Warrior of Upper Egypt just rolls right off the tongue... :rolleyes: :D

... Well, as Upper Egypt refers to southern Egypt -- that is, "Up The Nile" how about just "Nilist"" :D

-O.

ozymandias said:
... Well, as Upper Egypt refers to southern Egypt -- that is, "Up The Nile" how about just "Nilist"" :D

-O.

How about Up the Creek? :p

Flamegrape said:
Get thee to a punnery!

It could have been worse -- as Upper Egypt was generally considered south of the First Cataract of the Nile, I might have suggested "Egyptian Cataract" to match our equally fine Byzantine and Sassanid Cataphracts ... ;)

-Oz

ozymandias said:
It could have been worse -- as Upper Egypt was generally considered south of the First Cataract of the Nile, I might have suggested "Egyptian Cataract" to match our equally fine Byzantine and Sassanid Cataphracts ... ;)

-Oz

I thought a Cataract was a kind of car... :p

My suggestions:

Ahauty Spearman
Shemsu Archers
Nome Bowmen
Medjay Archers
Nakhtu'aa Infantry (Close Combat Infantry)
'Apiru Militia (Poor)

Dom Pedro II said:
I thought a Cataract was a kind of car... :p

Its also an eye condition. ;)

The First Cataract of the Nile is an area that used to stop nile transportation, and boats would be taken around. Its right around Elephantine. At one point it marked the division between Egypt and Nubia, Egypt would constantly make expiditions against them, but build forts here to ensure that this was at least perminantly Egyptian.

IIRC, the divider between upper and lower Egypt was the Nile Delta (Lower Egypt having the richer of the two regions).

It WAs the division between Egypt and Nubia, until egypt built a stright away through the first cataract, allowing for effective transport of troops up the entire nile until the second cataract, where the new division between egypt and Nubia was drawm

Top Bottom