[GS] New units in Gathering Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haig

Deity
There's a whopping 18 new units in the expansion, nine of which are uniques for civilizations and leaders.

That leaves 9 general units, do you think most of them are for future era or are there holes to be filled earlier?

I feel that the raider naval unit line gets one new, they currently have three units (privateer, sub, nuc.sub) while naval melee line and ranged line have both four. So the leaked image of a corsair ship is probably first raider unit.

Heavy cavalry line has four units but light cavalry only three (horsemen, cavalry, helicopter) so maybe there's another one?

Personally I would like riflemen between muskets and infantry.

The longbow and the rifle were two innovations that revolutionised warfare in their era. I know they've been in previous games, perhaps they should return. I also preferred the machine gun as a defensive weapon rather than as a replacement for the field cannon.

There's a whole new era to fill, and there are 12 different roles, so that could take up all 9.

The unit lines in Civ VI most often only have a new unit every second era though. That means you could put in roughly 6, leaving 3 more to fix some of the gaps that really feel too big (like Horseman->Cavalry).

Having said that I disagree with the large gaps in general though. Imo we should have some 30% more units than we do.

The unit lines in Civ VI most often only have a new unit every second era though. That means you could put in roughly 6, leaving 3 more to fix some of the gaps that really feel too big (like Horseman->Cavalry).

Having said that I disagree with the large gaps in general though. Imo we should have some 30% more units than we do.

Exactly. At any point of the tech tree, there should always be viable choices for all possible unit types. Melee, Anti-cavalry (really bad), light cavalry, heavy cavalry, archers & siege units (almost unused). Right now, the viable unit types always 'alternate' between different eras.

maybe a new civilian unit to build the tunnels and dams and stuff?

Dams are a district. Military Engineers should be good for stuff like railroads and tunnels.

I thinks there will be something between Musketman - Infantry .... i said that to general disscussion thread but becasuse I am courios about new units I will repeat it here. Reason for this is there is new scenario which starts just before WW1 , and in that scenario is Germany vs France. Using musketman or Infantry in this scenario would be really of the place and time ... so somekind of late Musketman or Great war infantry should be in game ... maybe even WW1 tank ... 9 new units for future era sound too much for me , there will be some new heavy cavalry, infantry, maybe one naval ... it would go too much if they add 9 new units bacuse they said this new era is approximately to year 2050 ... I dont see military tehnology developing so fast in next 30 years that we wiil see too much new things ,,, .. also we already have drones in the game

I don't see the Horseman->Cavalry gap too big... from a historical perspective at least. Knight->Tank bothers me a lot more.

However, the main issue with the few general units we have, is that the tech and the civic trees are too short. At the end they decided to split the Civ5 tech tree in two, which I consider one of the best decisions of Civ6, don't get me wrong, but in the process we ended up with 2 trees lacking a lot of depth.

Last edited:
Forgot about the WW1 scenario. Maybe we get a rifleman unit or at least new "skins" for the infantry unit.

In the time that scenario takes place, the French still had the red pants+blue jacket combo, had flag carrier on attack and officers waving swords.. and Germans had the leather pickelhaube.

Maybe the Future Era will upgrade the stuff that sucks in the Information Era. Like AT, Choppers, Destroyer, Machine Gun...anything else?

maybe a new civilian unit to build the tunnels and dams and stuff?

Militar Engineer

I thinks there will be something between Musketman - Infantry .... i said that to general disscussion thread but becasuse I am courios about new units I will repeat it here. Reason for this is there is new scenario which starts just before WW1 , and in that scenario is Germany vs France. Using musketman or Infantry in this scenario would be really of the place and time ... so somekind of late Musketman or Great war infantry should be in game ... maybe even WW1 tank ... 9 new units for future era sound too much for me , there will be some new heavy cavalry, infantry, maybe one naval ... it would go too much if they add 9 new units bacuse they said this new era is approximately to year 2050 ... I dont see military tehnology developing so fast in next 30 years that we wiil see too much new things ,,, .. also we already have drones in the game

I agree with you, and also IMO we will get an entire set of WWI units; or WWI infantry, Landship, WWI and fighter and bomber air units. The Dreadnought should be a nice addition too, but I prefer to get a Line Infantry unit

Rifleman is for me biggest gap in Civ6 units ... that is period of 18 to late 19 century lets say , American revolution , Napoleonic Wars, Russian Wars , Unification of Germany etc etc ... maybe most important part of human history which was almost entirly roled up with wars and guns - and Rifleman was back bone of armies in that time ....

Also there is gap in heavy cavalry tree ...

The longbow and the rifle were two innovations that revolutionised warfare in their era. I know they've been in previous games, perhaps they should return. I also preferred the machine gun as a defensive weapon rather than as a replacement for the field cannon.
What some people thought might be a longbowman appeared in one of the first screenshots. I'm not 100% convinced myself (I can't find any references to longbowmen wearing bandanas) but I don't have a better proposition.

What makes me anxious about longbowmen as a unit is they are really only appropriate as a UU for England, and if the leaks are right, we are getting a leader who can lead both England and France. Now it's possible the leaked information is wrong and she's just a leader for England, in which case, fine. But if not, then she would presumably also have access to whatever UU she has while leader of France... and that is the sound of the dead of Crécy and Azincourt turning in their graves :crazyeye: :shifty:

ETA image from Giskler's post in the screenshot analysis thread.

What some people thought might be a longbowman appeared in one of the first screenshots. I'm not 100% convinced myself (I can't find any references to longbowmen wearing bandanas) but I don't have a better proposition.

What makes me anxious about longbowmen as a unit is they are really only appropriate as a UU for England, and if the leaks are right, we are getting a leader who can lead both England and France. Now it's possible the leaked information is wrong and she's just a leader for England, in which case, fine. But if not, then she would presumably also have access to whatever UU she has while leader of France... and that is the sound of the dead of Crécy and Azincourt turning in their graves :crazyeye: :shifty:

ETA image from Giskler's post in the screenshot analysis thread.
It‘s a barbarian Archer.

I'm pretty positive that those are not longbowmen, because those are not longbows they are holding. Longbows are U-curved and not W-curved, if you know what i mean.
And longbows are longer than those bows

Edit: What speakes against them being new graphics for barbarian archer is that there are only two instead of normally 5. Plus: green cloths on barbarians?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom