• Transport Planes for tanks and such

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Make the editor more era easier to set up

Votes: 8 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Garry Meyer

Chieftain
I want to see units that apply to today's tech. My number one request is a C3 plane. I want to be able to drop tanks and such into a battle zone. Yeah, transports do this but on large maps this sucks. Bring in the planes.
Have the workers build walls sort of like the china wall. Make it strong enough to take some pounding for the era it is in.
1. [dance] C3 Transport Planes
2. :confused: Workers building Walls
3. :goodjob: Editor - Make it more user friendly, as it is you have to be too computer knowledgable, heck with that.

I think the whole wall thing can be exploited by some folks (lining up 10 rows of walls in the modern era to slow down an invasion and give them time to strike back) but yea the Editor should be better and dog gone it lets have some transport planes that can drop like 5 units instead of one like the chopper in CIV3. Imagine an air sea land invasion....

Workers can already build fortresses, and a line of them is somewhat like a wall. It's be neat if the graphics respresented that, and connected any two fotresses bult in adjacent squares by a wall. Sure, the Great Wall of China is a Wonder, but that's not the only historical example of a wall (Hadrian's Wall in between Roman England and Scotland, or the "security fence" going up in modern Israel, to throw out two examples off the top of my head). One-man-assault's worry about exploits wouldn't be an issue if it was merely a graphical change related to building fortresses (since fortresses are already in the game).

A more friendly editor is of course a good idea.

I'm not sure what is meant in the poll by "better modern units".

I must admit I don't see the point of a transport plane. Is this request a gameplay issue or a realism issue? Its certainly not very realistic to be able to airdrop entire units of modern armor, etc. Just witness the Iraq war: the US was prevented from having a major northern front because Turkey didn't cooperate and let the US unload in Turkish ports. A number of troops were airdropped into Northern Iraq, but bringing in a major force of heavy vehicles by air was not feasible. It takes an entire plane to transport a single Abrams tank... so, while its possible on a small scale, its not realistic to move entire companies/battalions/divisions/whatever on the strategic scale representing combat in Civ. If its a gameplay-related request, I also don't really understand, since not being able to airdrop certain units encourages the use of other units, which IMHO is a good thing because otherwise modern armor would be the only thing anyone every built in the modern age. I think combined arms should be encouraged more, and I'm afraid transport planes that let you move modern armor around willy-nilly would discourage combined arms. All you'd ever need for modern war would be oodles of modern armor and transports.

judgement, I agree with you on the building of fortresses, however, doing this is actually counterproductive because your enemy then has all sorts of fortresses that he is defending in YOUR territory. Fortresses need to have a really high chance of being destroyed once an enemy occupies them.

rcoutme said:
judgement, I agree with you on the building of fortresses, however, doing this is actually counterproductive because your enemy then has all sorts of fortresses that he is defending in YOUR territory. Fortresses need to have a really high chance of being destroyed once an enemy occupies them.
On the contrary, the possibility of an enemy occupying your fortresses is a compelling reason not to build huge numbers of fortresses. I'd accept a small chance of destruction, but a big chance of destruction opens the situation up to the exploit that one_man_assault mentioned. I think you should only be willing to build lots of fortresses (or a wall, or whatever) if you have enough units that you think you'll successfully be able to defend them.

I think that being required to manually build the Great Wall makes a lot more sense than one city building a wall that encompasses the entire nation, regardless of the nation's size, or the fact that some cities may be on the other side of rival nations.

Building the Great Wall manually would give the wall a distinctive look, from game to game, have branches running off it (just like the real Great Wall) at some points, and more accurately reflect the paranoia, cost, difficulties presented by the existence of the wall, etc.

Manned walls would reduce the enemies' abilities to sneak into your lands, run away from persuers, and give a general cultural value to the nation that built it to a certain size.

Top Bottom