New User - Cosmetic Issues

ezolak

Chieftain
Just downloaded and installed and so far like the mod a lot, but I am noticing a few cosmetic issues related to units. Rather than read through 51 pages of the bug thread, I am hoping someone can shed some light.

Not too far into my first game, and I am seeing archers switch between the vanilla model and the new one. Also, I am seeing axemen that have the standard warrior model, and swordsmen that are completely pink.

I did not change any default settings of the mod. Are these just minor issues that others have that don't bother them, or am I the only one getting them, or are there some settings I should tweak?

Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Actually, the other mod explained the pink models, but not the shifting back and forth between new and vanilla skins. I get this with just Blue Marble and BAT. I am currently playing as Mali, and I see my units morph constantly. Anyone else?

I also noticed switching models in my mod. I'm using Blue Marble (and Improved Graphics 2.0) with BUG Mod too. But my models do not switch back. After a certain point all X units got the graphics of an unit Y. But that's not all: Did you also notice a different stats screen on that unit with switched model?

Example:

Axeman looks like Swordsman.

Axeman got 5 strength, but the screen shows +10% city attack instead of +50% vs melee.

Here is an example screenshot:

Yes, now that you mention it, I have also seen the stats appear wrong. But much less frequently than with the models morphing.

Do you use any custom models? If not, modules cannot be the reason for this.

Ok that's "great". Then I do not have to make any changes.

Well, but what could be the reason? I did not see this error appear with old bug mod versions. You?

Ok that's "great". Then I do not have to make any changes.

Well, but what could be the reason? I did not see this error appear with old bug mod versions. You?

Maybe I am misunderstanding the question. I am not a modder, and I haven't tinkered with any xml. I don't know what you mean by "modules cannot be the cause of this," because I don't know what you mean by a module. I downloaded and installed Blue Marble and BAT, and nothing else. I am simply reporting what I see, which are graphical anomalies, and asked if anyone else is seeing the same thing... I never used an older version of BUG, so I cannot comment on that.

The problem is definitely BAT, not Blue Marble. I ran a base BtS game using one of the civs that gave me the problem and there was nary a problem. I guess those who know these mods better than me would have already known that, as this test tells me that Blue Marble doesn't change unit skins, just terrain I guess.

The problem cannot be BAT since I'm not using BAT.

I use BUG + better bts ai + custom units.

With modules you can easily add new units to the mod.

Blue Marble and BUG Mod are not the causes. I run both constantly and have never seen this behavior. Neither mod changes anything about units or buildings--only terrain (BM) and Python interface screens (BUG).

BAT, however, includes Improved Graphics (terrain), Varietas Delectat (units, more?), some newer form of Ethnic City Styles (buildings), and a couple other things. I believe the problems started with BAT 1.1. BAT 1.0 seemed pretty stable. Perhaps an error was made when merging them, or they just don't play nicely together.

Blue Marble and BUG Mod are not the causes. I run both constantly and have never seen this behavior. Neither mod changes anything about units or buildings--only terrain (BM) and Python interface screens (BUG).

BAT, however, includes Improved Graphics (terrain), Varietas Delectat (units, more?), some newer form of Ethnic City Styles (buildings), and a couple other things. I believe the problems started with BAT 1.1. BAT 1.0 seemed pretty stable. Perhaps an error was made when merging them, or they just don't play nicely together.

You are right, I said BUG when I meant BAT. Told ya I was new!

I take it that this means other users are having problems with 1.1 also...? So would replacing 1.1 with 1.0 fix the problem? How much of a step back is it? Thanks.

You are right, I said BUG when I meant BAT. Told ya I was new!

No, you said BAT the whole time, unless I missed an earlier post. I was just clarifying to Cybah that BUG wasn't the problem. I suspect BAT is the problem for you and Cybah's model changes are the problem for them.

I take it that this means other users are having problems with 1.1 also...? So would replacing 1.1 with 1.0 fix the problem? How much of a step back is it? Thanks.

Sisiutil was having CTDs with BAT 1.1 when he got to the late game the other night, but no one else has posted much about it. BTW, thank you for taking the time to post and follow through. Too many users put up with buggy software. I have a very low tolerance for it. :D That's why I like modding--I can fix the problems, especially the ones I create. :mischief:

The main downside to using BAT 1.0 is that you'll be running an old version of BUG. While you could do some work to upgrade the BUG that's inside BAT, it's non-trivial. It's not super difficult, but it's not a straight copy-n-paste job.

If you don't mind not having as many pretty units and buildings, I recommend using BUG with BM.

No, you said BAT the whole time, unless I missed an earlier post. I was just clarifying to Cybah that BUG wasn't the problem. I suspect BAT is the problem for you and Cybah's model changes are the problem for them.

Sisiutil was having CTDs with BAT 1.1 when he got to the late game the other night, but no one else has posted much about it. BTW, thank you for taking the time to post and follow through. Too many users put up with buggy software. I have a very low tolerance for it. :D That's why I like modding--I can fix the problems, especially the ones I create. :mischief:

The main downside to using BAT 1.0 is that you'll be running an old version of BUG. While you could do some work to upgrade the BUG that's inside BAT, it's non-trivial. It's not super difficult, but it's not a straight copy-n-paste job.

If you don't mind not having as many pretty units and buildings, I recommend using BUG with BM.

I'll trade pretty for stable any day. The glitches are see are purely cosmetic (so far), but bother me nonetheless. I'm giving BUG a try now.

I'm giving BUG a try now.

If you want to continue games you started with BAT, after uninstalling BAT you can create an empty folder called "BAT Mod 1.1" in the "Mods" folder.

• If you do the standard install of BUG, you will also get to play those games using BUG.
  • If you install BUG as a mod, you won't get BUG automatically with those games. You can do a little extra work to get that though. Let me know if you need that procedure.
Either way, you don't have to abandon those games. :goodjob:

I really really need to write up a FAQ. :cry:

If you want to continue games you started with BAT, after uninstalling BAT you can create an empty folder called "BAT Mod 1.1" in the "Mods" folder.

• If you do the standard install of BUG, you will also get to play those games using BUG.
  • If you install BUG as a mod, you won't get BUG automatically with those games. You can do a little extra work to get that though. Let me know if you need that procedure.
Either way, you don't have to abandon those games. :goodjob:

I really really need to write up a FAQ. :cry:

For better or worse, I standard installed BUG. Works like a champ so far. Not sure what is missing from BAT 1.1, but the things I use look to be there.

Thanks for the help.

For better or worse, I standard installed BUG.

Given that you don't install any other mods to CustomAssets, that's fine. Just make sure that when playing other mods to set the "Lock Modified Assets" checkbox in the Custom Game screen. You can also set this in each mod's INI file so you don't have to remember to check the box.

Not sure what is missing from BAT 1.1, but the things I use look to be there.

BAT is responsible for all the "graphics" visible on the map (units, buildings, and terrain). BUG handles all of the screens, scoreboard, alerts, logging, and interface stuff.

Given that you don't install any other mods to CustomAssets, that's fine. Just make sure that when playing other mods to set the "Lock Modified Assets" checkbox in the Custom Game screen. You can also set this in each mod's INI file so you don't have to remember to check the box.

Hmm. I had the impression that this had something to do with WorldBuilder. I have never checked it, and really never even thought about it. Could it have any effect in my graphics glitches with BAT?

Top Bottom