Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't played since probably March and this version is STILL, SOMEHOW a huge improvement over what was already a great and polished feeling project. Thank you for the amazing work, one and all. My takes after a couple games:

- Songhai still rolls after the change, at least on Emp. Basically didn't even notice the difference. As always maybe too fun...
- Love the Denmark change. Really enjoyed a game on continents vs my usual communitu. New Berserker really made the whole kit feel intuitive for when I should conquer and when to just pillage and harass.
- Espionage is much smoother.
- I theoretically like the new AI lux trade logic but didn't like it in game. It got me into gold trouble when I ran out of barbarian camps to clear and 5 known neighbors never wanted my excess monopoly lux through medieval, which maybe I could just adapt and prioritize Currency and get used to. As it was, definitely forced me to amp up early warmongering just for the gold though. Also felt like AI had way fewer excess lux than usual. Don't know if worker logic is influenced by the change or if it was just a weird sample. FWIW, I'm terrible at working the WLTKD and hate it as gamey (probably why I can barely hang at Immortal). I really try to rush settlers for monopoly and buy up/ trade for any lux ASAP to lock in the meagre happiness. It is definitely not the optimal strategy, but it is way less micromanage-y and also does force all the cities into the same couple WLTKD wants in classical/ medieval, which can be a big single boost. I don't hate the current change but it will probably force even casual play like mine to bend toward the meta, so bear that in mind. It does make me hesitant to try a more tradition civ if there are fewer benefits to developing what you have. Although I haven't played my old favorite Egypt in probably over a year, so maybe I'll try that out and see how I feel.

Playing a game as France, not a fan of the lux valuation changes. Makes early game progress much harder because progress relies a lot on roads, purchasing tiles and its gold does not kick in until the finisher, but I suppose that was intentional and that is fine and others have mentioned it before so I won't go over it again. But it also breaks the exploration aspect of the game. I was at war with Carthage, and unlocked explorers but... I just did not want to explore the other (main) continent because hey we will not be trade partners anyway so why would I want to incur warmonger penalties when I conquer Carthage, found world congress and give diplomatic civs an extra tool in their arsenal.

can't find the git location to put this problem. The program quits on the last turn when Austria declares war on me, India. I play lowest level, huge with 2.6.

Attachments

• India 01 Art.Civ5Save
    1.9 MB · Views: 23
Here's an example of some of the AI passivity people have been mentioning.

Spoiler :
Screenshot.png

I've been at war with china for about 10 turns now. Its completely one upped me in military tech, I have cbows against longswords, knights, heavy skimishers. He should be bowling me over, but he keeps wavering. Tentatively pushing in than pulling back.

A few versions ago, I would have lost two cities if I had been this unprepared for an attack in medieval.

Here's an example of some of the AI passivity people have been mentioning.

I've been at war with china for about 10 turns now. Its completely one upped me in military tech, I have cbows against longswords, knights, heavy skimishers. He should be bowling me over, but he keeps wavering. Tentatively pushing in than pulling back.

A few versions ago, I would have lost two cities if I had been this unprepared for an attack in medieval.

So to clarify, are the AI's military units not being aggressive while at war (tactical AI problem) or is the AI not declaring war when it should (diplomacy AI problem)?

Hard to fix anything without savegames.

So to clarify, are the AI's military units not being aggressive while at war (tactical AI problem) or is the AI not declaring war when it should (diplomacy AI problem)?

Hard to fix anything without savegames.
Both.

The AI should have declared on me a long time ago, I literally built those cbows in respond to the war declaration. I've had 6 cities and 2 units for the majority of the game.

And when it finally does war...its too timid.

I will submit the save on git

Both.

The AI should have declared on me a long time ago, I literally built those cbows in respond to the war declaration. I've had 6 cities and 2 units for the majority of the game.

And when it finally does war...its too timid.

I will submit the save on git
sigh, hehe AI may make me eat my words. the turn after I had stopped to post the report, France declared on me, and now both civs are pushing in. So maybe china was just waiting for France?

sigh, hehe AI may make me eat my words. the turn after I had stopped to post the report, France declared on me, and now both civs are pushing in. So maybe china was just waiting for France?
The AI is not programmed to do that, so it is likely still a bug.

If I was to make a total guess, would it have to do with the limited paths to the target cities? The lake and mountains would make it hard to a human to line up their units correctly let alone the AI?

So I figured out how inquisitors work. They literally cut the pressure of all other faiths in the city in half, a full 50%. So if they had 4000 faith, they now have 2000. 150 before, 75 now.

The tooltip should probably be updated with that info.

I'm trying to put my finger on exactly what has changed, but in general I'm noticing the AI just not as good at war as it was say 6-8 months ago. I'm steam rolling over Immortal AIs now, when back in the day these wars used to be a serious endeavor for me. Again, I'm not exactly sure what has changed, I'm trying to suss it out as I play, but the just feels more timid, and maybe isn't making as many units. So not the most productive post, its all I got at the moment.

I find at least sieging cities is harder, since they always focus fire your siege units and then ranged units, and almost always have a ranged unit garrisoned now.

So I figured out how inquisitors work. They literally cut the pressure of all other faiths in the city in half, a full 50%. So if they had 4000 faith, they now have 2000. 150 before, 75 now.

The tooltip should probably be updated with that info.
Is this by using them? (remove heresy) Do they do anyting useful passively while being in a City? (there was / were version(s) where that was the case but I lost track)

Last edited:
Is this by using them? (remove heresy) Do they do anyting useful passively while being in a City? (there was / were version(s) where that was the case but I lost track)
That is the remove heresy. Yes, I am pleased to report that after years (yes years) of confusion as to what inquisitors do passively....they actually and truly block half of the passive spread of missionaries. I do not yet know if they block GPs in anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom