Status
Not open for further replies.
How can you get the vassal to rebel against the overlord?

Now I have three vassals - China (100+ moves), Persia (about 80) and Ottomans (10-15 moves). Everyone put up a maximum tax of 25%.
China initially hated me because of the exorbitant taxes. Then loved for the protection of his territory from the units of Persia. Then he was suspicious, and now he is afraid.
Persia also hated at first because of taxes, then was suspicious, and the very first began to feel fear.
Ottomans are just hated because of taxes, too little time has passed.

Do I need to start constantly insulting and denouncing them? Or how can you get them to rebel without disbanding most of your army? Right now I have 16-18 cities under direct control, a few city-state puppets and recreating an army and navy should be easy, plus an Orders + Zealotry religion buff that allows you to purchase units for faith. But this is an artificial way.

Vassals send trade caravans to me, incl. we are trading partners and there are no signs of an impending uprising. Although they became friends with Austria - the second powerful empire, which has Germany as a vassal with one city that does not pose a threat at all.

They must somehow try to get out from under the yoke of the usurper... Although in one of the last games, one of the strongest empires became my vassal, at some point in time ahead of the size of the army and technology, but still did not raise an uprising. It's just boring.

Perhaps in the event of an uprising, the vassals should be given some bonuses against the oppressor. For example, +20% combat power for the duration of the war, +10hp in own territory, injection of money and hammers so that they can buy and build units. This, of course, is also a very artificial solution, but it will add a few moments of drama when a huge empire with many vassals falls apart under its own weight, because. it is extremely difficult to fight on 3-4-5 fronts at once and have 5-6 strong fleets to cover all coastal waters. Although, of course, even the loss of 5-8 cities in the border areas, in the middle of the oceans or on other continents will not have any critical impact.
As long as you keep growing and they dont there is little to no chance that they rebel, remember they basically gave up and became their vassal.
If you get invaded and lose a couple of cities, then yes maybe.
Peace vassals are a bit less tight to their master.

Piety (Fealty) doesn't have a Policy related to Reformation though? You might be using a modmod.

Piety does have a Policy for reformation, however this is in the base game, not VP. Are you playing in english ? If not, you might have the wrong description for policies.
TYVM for yer help! :) I never would have figured out that Piety Reformation Policy wasn't in VP, without you!

Apparently, SQL based Civilopedia Historical Info changes have character limits, and if that limit gets exceeded, text errors randomly appear everywhere. I've seen XML based Civilopedia Description changes with much greater character limits, so I never would have guessed that.

For example:

(2) Vox Populi > Balance Changes\Text\en_US\UnitText.xml
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIV5_COLONIST_TEXT">

That XML Key has text made up of 1691 characters, and even features a [citation needed] tag.

My problem was caused because I changed an SQL Key:

(2) Vox Populi > Balance Changes\Text\en_US\PolicyText.sql
WHERE Tag = 'TXT_KEY_POLICY_URBANIZATION_TEXT';

Into text containing 1588 characters. For some reason, that reverted all VP Policy text back into Base Game text (not even Expansion text). I've never actually played without Expansions, (and I haven't played without VP since maybe a month after I got Civ 5), so all those Policies were new to me.

My solution was deleting that Key entirely from VP and making my change by directly altering Base Game files, which use XML for that Key. Everything works fine that way, somehow.

Any way to prevent AI from removing roads (config file/mod) ? Vassals are a bit of a pain because of that and the unfinished city connection bug is still there. Might as well get rid of this completely imo. Road maintenance is such an insignificant cost at higher difficulty that the only time removing roads is useful is if human players try to cheese the AI with excessive road anyway.

If only the vassals would have their own roads throughout the territory, and not in threads from city to city. It takes 5-8 moves to cover the distance that you can run on the road in 2 moves. Continuous torment - you get stuck on every hill.

Yeah, the AI isn't very good at utilizing roads especially for warfare, specifically on rivers. Partly why AI Songhai dominates in war against other AI because they don't build roads to cross rivers in their own territories.

Here's my current game with Songhai dominating, (currently I'm the only one keeping them from snowballing) With a bonus screenshot of Progress Arabia doing very well and being a bit too generous with Lux.

Huge map, Emperor, Epic speed
Spoiler :
8.png

What is the reason for the graphical bug where loot from hexes is not displayed? There is some kind of anomaly here. The production of hexes is not consistently visible, but it is worth shifting the map by a few pixels and everything becomes normal. Move a little to the side - again everything disappears. The bug is very old.

Spoiler :

20221112053433_1.jpg

20221112053428_1.jpg

Very, very unpredictable calculation of the time of the spy in the enemy city /

Tours - France - 5 star safety
The top-level spy will perform the simplest mission 'visibility around the city' in 28 (!!!!) turns. Of course, I will not give him this task. All other missions are also 28 moves. I just spent a few turns moving the spy into the city, a few turns establishing surveillance. Thanks for the wasted time, the spy could be doing something more useful.
Spoiler :
20221112064522_1.jpg

20221112064435_1.jpg

20221112064427_1.jpg

Berlin - Germany - 5 star safety.

I already wrote that the spy continued to attack the city without an order twice, inflicting 3 * 100 damage and arbitrarily returning to the capital .. After that, Berlin did not recover until a new spy was sent. Now a top-level spy can complete missions in -3 and -6 (minus) turns/ Is that so? I did not check it and sent it to a more significant city.

Spoiler :
20221112085603_1.jpg

20221112083017_1.jpg

20221112083044_1.jpg

Bonus: Have you ever seen a city with +300 food/turn?

Berlin is Germany, there is only 1 city in the empire and there is no where to import food from. Incredibly happy city, heaven on earth. 68 happiness with 7 dissatisfied (you can’t eat everything that your hands reach for ...) I don’t understand where 105 from the landscape comes from, I counted something around 80-85.

The city produces about the same amount of gold as I make profit in the golden age (16-20 cities, a few puppets, 3 vassals with 25% taxes, 2 trade routes).

Spoiler :
20221112082907_1.jpg

Yeah, the AI isn't very good at utilizing roads especially for warfare, specifically on rivers. Partly why AI Songhai dominates in war against other AI because they don't build roads to cross rivers in their own territories.

Here's my current game with Songhai dominating, (currently I'm the only one keeping them from snowballing) With a bonus screenshot of Progress Arabia doing very well and being a bit too generous with Lux.

Huge map, Emperor, Epic speed
Yeah they actually build roads to fort/citadels (and they don't build many forts ...) but that's it. The lack of mobility drastically reduce the AI's military prowess and increase the amount of work it takes to make tactical AI better. Maybe what needs to be done first is incentivize the AI to build roads to their boarder/strategic positions and outright remove their road maintenance cost at king difficulty and higher.

What is the reason for the graphical bug where loot from hexes is not displayed? There is some kind of anomaly here. The production of hexes is not consistently visible, but it is worth shifting the map by a few pixels and everything becomes normal. Move a little to the side - again everything disappears. The bug is very old.

32bit game is running into memory issues. Nothing we can do.

Bonus: Have you ever seen a city with +300 food/turn?

Berlin is Germany, there is only 1 city in the empire and there is no where to import food from. Incredibly happy city, heaven on earth. 68 happiness with 7 dissatisfied (you can’t eat everything that your hands reach for ...) I don’t understand where 105 from the landscape comes from, I counted something around 80-85.

The city produces about the same amount of gold as I make profit in the golden age (16-20 cities, a few puppets, 3 vassals with 25% taxes, 2 trade routes).

It's because you can get a huge positive modifier for being happy. Here Berlin is getting +238% food, 120% of which comes from being so happy.

It's only getting +30% food, and +208% growth.

What is the difference between food and growth?
Food modifiers affect the food that exists before your population consumes it. Growth modifiers affect the surplus food remaining after your population consumes it.

Food modifiers affect the food that exists before your population consumes it. Growth modifiers affect the surplus food remaining after your population consumes it.
This is also why the Aztecs's floating gardens are pretty great unique buildings in both Vox Populi and Vanilla Civ. It can get pretty hard to get to the 100 surplus food to get 10 more food on growth (10%+ growth). It's not hard at all to get the 100 food for +10 food on +10% food.

This also means that growth and food bonuses stack with each other

Ppl had a lot of crashes in this version?
Games been mostly ok for me but current game seems dead at T420 ish (meme not intended).

Yay managed to solve my crashes with strategic view and all yields, grids etc off.
Artillery with +1 range and rifles when ahead in tech made this part of the game trivial.

I had the same experience with crashes. In end game I just set 4-5 techs to research so I don't have to open tech tree ( the reason for most of the crashes), I take out yields and before I click "Next Turn" I make sure to switch to strategic view.

In Austria, caravans cannot be plundered thanks to the Wonder (I don’t remember the name). But these caravans are damaged if they end their turn next to an enemy Citadel. It seems to me that it is worth fixing and making them invulnerable to all influences (or give regen +100hp/turn)

Spoiler :
20221119002812_1.jpg

Attachments

• 20221119002714_1.jpg
    20221119002714_1.jpg
    864.5 KB · Views: 35
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom