Status
Not open for further replies.
When aggressive barbarians are activated, the area becomes extremely inhospitable after a while. But, this allows you to wage two wars at the same time, when the enemies come from three sides - they simply cannot get through the crowds of barbarians and their camps. Very funny.

If a pathfinder finds two ruins - an upgrade to a scout and a map of the area, then you get a scout with 70 experience points. And 70 experience allows you to take 3 upgrades: +10 healing per turn, + 50% defense, and active regeneration. It turns out a super unit that is able, with some help, to simply hold back crowds of enemies.

I think what is happening is that coastal barb camps are producing naval instead of land units, & if left unchecked suddenly start appearing in packs. In recent versions, they have hardly built any naval units, but now they do, it seems alot worse. A unit swimming to your cities is far easier to take out than ships, who can also cause more damage. It also makes it alot more dangerous in embarking your units, which until this version were in no danger doing so. In fairness to your screenshot above, they are all melee ships early on, & your cities are well protected from the sea, so can only attack one at a time.
Yeah even 7 barb ships on just one city didn't manage to capture it. It's just that you can't build boats for sea resources, barbs are blocking sea tiles, pillaging city (ships can do that, right?), not allowing cargo ships to go online. All until you you are feeling comfortable traversing the water and dealing with all that nonsense, and it's annoying if it happens every game involving water, esp. if it's barbs on higher difficulties (they get stronger, don't they? sry don't know a lot of stuff yet)

Well, if you as the player do not build a navy, what influence do you think you will be able to have on the high sea?
Personally, I always thought of the waterways in VP as too calm, especially in comparison with older times. No storms, few pirates and a small navy is enough to protect my waters. Doesn't neither seem realistic nor makes for balanced gameplay.

Regsrds
XSamatan

First military boat is in the third column so by the time you even have a chance to build it abandoning other techs barbs are already swarming like some insects. My sample size is 2 games so far though.

Yeah even 7 barb ships on just one city didn't manage to capture it. It's just that you can't build boats for sea resources, barbs are blocking sea tiles, pillaging city (ships can do that, right?), not allowing cargo ships to go online. All until you you are feeling comfortable traversing the water and dealing with all that nonsense, and it's annoying if it happens every game involving water, esp. if it's barbs on higher difficulties (they get stronger, don't they? sry don't know a lot of stuff yet)
Yes, they block sea lanes & stop you putting down fishing ships for a time, but you can concentrate on other areas for awhile. As for cargo ships, you should have your own Dromans & Trireme's by then anyway. I have no idea if barbs get stronger on higher levels, though would make sense of they did.

Idk what to think about barbs spawning in between cities yet but naval situation looks out of control. In my first 3.x.x game (the one on the screenshot is 2nd) I had 7 barb ships surrounding my one city in the early game. May be it's always been like that, I haven't played a lot of VP but it seems a bit too much either way. Or may be I'm a noob and should've just spammed archers from early on, let me know if that's the case.
Sure looks like you're about to meet the Sea People.

Seems the Barbarian spawning is having some issues. I really do enjoy the amount of raging bars tho, certainly as Monty. I have not really noticed it being harder then before tho, happiness if anything seems easier to maintain then previous versions even tho I'm apparently now playing on "Muuhahah! Good luck, Sucker!"-level :)

* I have not been able to get the second option to trigger on the event "Nomadic Incursion" (drive them out, and steal whatever we can take) due to "Barbarians are not allowed to enter owned territory yet". All other options are available. Option 1 (200 border ponints), 3 (free unit) and 4 (free pop) all work.

* Also my siege units are not gaining xp from attacking anything (barbarians, city-states or rivals civs). They are all stuck with as many xp as they got on creation.

* I can't re-capture/liberate workers that have been taken by barbarians. They are just destroyed when I tried to take them back. If this is intended then it's quite annoying as you now really have to guard your workers at all times. I can recapture workers taken by rival civs.

Last edited:
Thank you for the amazing Update!
Got 2 small questions though.
Can´t see an toggle to activate Promotion Flags in my Interface Options? How can i activate it?
Spoiler :
1669505466736.png

Im also seeing many barb ships early in my current game as china. Im fine with that.
They could have easily taken my second city or at least inflict heavy damage or rob it multiple times. Instead they just circled around the town and did nothing until i took them all out with archers later? Is this intentional?
Sadly i dont have an picture anymore.

Playing 3.03. My warriors were sandwiched between two barbs. I defeated one and was at the mercy of the second barb. One single hit would have finished me off. Instead, he darted off, and I was able to escape and heal to full strength. I was on Chieftain, but surely that wouldn't have been the reason why I wasn't finished off.

Installer is broken. Only installs parts 1-4. Missing "5 More Luxuries" on. I am on a fresh install with no other mods. Please upload files as an archive rather than installer.

Installer is broken. Only installs parts 1-4. Missing "5 More Luxuries" on. I am on a fresh install with no other mods. Please upload files as an archive rather than installer.
It should only be installing 4 parts. The others are integrated into the main mod.

Im also seeing many barb ships early in my current game as china. Im fine with that.
They could have easily taken my second city or at least inflict heavy damage or rob it multiple times. Instead they just circled around the town and did nothing until i took them all out with archers later? Is this intentional?
Sadly i dont have an picture anymore.
It's probably the same problem showing, as is affecting all use of AI melee units these days: They never ever attack and cause damage to cities (even if it'd have them conquere the city.) As of now the just "hang around" and finally reatreats when being damaged enough by the defending party.

Last edited:
The situation with happiness has become much better. For the first 100 turns, i didn't upgrade a single tile with workers and received only 1 luxury resource as a token of friendship. All this time happiness was above 50%. Slipped to 45% only after capturing 1 city in addition to 5 my own on turn 120. Although during this time i built 5 wonders of the world, they may have had a strong influence.

But to steal a worker from at least someone, if you do not hide in the bushes before the declaration of war, is an impossible task. Lol, the barbarians managed to steal a worker from the city-state (how did they do it???), but it is impossible to capture him back because of a bug.

Now, even on Deity, you can safely build the wonders of the world, without fear that AI will overtake in some incredible way. Although, perhaps the 'Raging Barbarians' were heavily influenced here and the AI has to deal with constant invasions and clear the camps. Because in 120 turns only 3 religions were founded in the world (there were no problems with the pantheons. everything was on schedule). Previously, up to turn 95, there were almost always 5 religions founded. Either the Great Prophets were captured by the barbarians for some reason - but I cannot verify this.

huh, do you normally don't improve any times in the 1st 100 turns?

I usually start much earlier. There were too many barbarians, too much greed in the construction of wonders (3 wonders in the capital one after another without being distracted by anything else) and defensive walls. Was hoping to grab 1-2 workers, but that's impossible to do. You need a cavalry type unit, and the horses are not upgraded. No one else is able to run 4 tiles and capture a prisoner. You can upgrade your pathfinder-scout for double movement in the jungle, but it's better to upgrade + 50% in defense. Even city-states did not produce workers until 80-100 turns - absolutely all countries fought off hordes of barbarians. I saw only 1 captured worker in the barbarian camp, which is very small and means that all the resources of the countries were thrown into the military sphere (or the AI also loses workers due to a bug when trying to recapture).

And to wait until the worker is unprotected, to declare war and capture prisoners on the same turn is an abuse of mechanics.

I seem to understand why everything was fine with happiness.

Built the Mausoleum of Halicarnacus, which gives you (free) Stone Works, no quarry, and allows you to send caravans with hammers. And the caravan between the capital and the new city removes the discontent of the inhabitants from isolation and reduces the discontent from the lack of food / hammers. The caravan for gold was sent only after turn 80 - very dangerous, although there were only about 7-8 tiles between my city and the city-state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom