Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazebo

Lord of the Community Patch
Supporter
Hey all,

New version inbound. Fewer balance changes than it looks this time around, mainly just cleaning up some loose ends and tidying up some of the more miserable player experiences (looking at you, Lizzy).

Code:
AI and Bugfixes
    Significant performance improvements for tactical AI
    Bugfixes and performance improvements for diplo AI, deal AI, and some smaller selections
    Github issue cleanup (thanks team!)

New
    That part of the project where we start poaching modmods:
[INDENT]    Two new additions to the auto-installer (optional - can be left unchecked if not desired):
[INDENT](7a) An updated version of Promotion Icons by @Asterix Rage , now all promotions have unique and easily-identifiable icons. Amazing work!       [/INDENT]
         (7b)  An updated version of Promotion Viewer, thanks to @civplayer33 . Fully compatible with VP, has a button in the top panel next to events, etc. Big props! 
    Updated Communitas mapscript in CP based on latest forum version from @JMA2286. Excellent work![/INDENT]
UI
    Smaller updates to the UI - standardizing fonts, fixing some loose ends, fixing missing combat indicators, etc.

Balance
    Happiness
        The 'global median' mechanic for happiness replaced with an empire median
            Players are now only dealing with median unhappiness mechanics from their own cities
        Adjusted happiness value metrics to account for new system
            Empire: +5% needs per non-puppet city in empire (was 4)
            Puppets: 1:5 citizen:unhappy ratio (was 4)
            Pop: 10% (so +11% for every 10 citizens in a city, in essence) (was 10:10)
            Capital mod: now 15% (Was 25%)
            Tech mod: 75% (was 100%)
            The 'base' divisors for all yield tests are now 100 (Was 50 for half, now all 100)
    Religion
        Pantheon:
            God of War bumped to 225%, was 200%
            God of the Sea now +2food/+1faith, was +3 food
            God of Commerce/Wisdom now scale locally instead of empire-wide
                God of Commerce scales 1faith:5gold
                Goddess of Wisdom scales 1faith:4science
                Both cap at half # of followers in city
        Follower:
            Culture from Inspiration now 1:3, was 1:2
    Buildings
        Reduced Tourism from TR end to 6 (was 10)

Wonders
        National Wonders
            Removed maintenance from Tourist Center (??)
        Hagia Sophia
            Dropped base yields to +1faith, +2culture
    Civs
        England
            New UB: White Tower
                Replaces National Intelligence Agency - same bonuses except:
                    +3 culture from Constable, Armory, Castle
                    +100science/gold from spy defense in the city
                    +100 science/gold from spy actions (+25 if an advanced action)
                    Free GW (Crown Jewels)
                Available at Machinery
            New UA:
                +1 Movement for Naval or embarked Units, and -25% Naval Unit [ICON_GOLD] Gold maintenance. Foreign [ICON_SPY] Spies operate 25% slower in owned Cities. [ICON_SPY] Spies are faster and operate one Rank higher than normal. Starts with a Spy.
        Arabia
            Bazaar base Gold now +4 (Was +5)
            GP bonus from Historic Event now +15% (was +20%)
        China
            Yields on era change reduced by 75% (Was 25%)
        Ottomans
            Dropped production bonus from UA
    Policies
        Statecraft
            TR bonus on Trade Confederacy now 25% for int'l routes, applies to any city
            Removed aberrant 25% internal route bonus from Trade Confederacy (was a clerical error)
    Techs
        Banking unlocks Advanced Actions for spies
    Promotions
        Renamed some lengthy-name promotions to work with new viewer
        Fixed some missing promotions for air and anti-air units
    Improvements
        Landmarks, when created, generate +1 happiness for the creator
    CSD
        Bumped the influence from Diplo units by +5 across the board, and +5 for each promotion
            Emissary: 40
            Envoy: 50
            Diplomat: 60
            Ambassador: 70
            Promotions now give +10, except Noble,which gives +15
        Great Diplomat now 100 influence, scaling with era

Online as of 11:00pm EST. Not savegame compatible.

Link: https://mega.nz/#F!DMsxkDYI!zSpR9CHpmAfWyIvMXaN3pw

Cheers,
Gazebo

Last edited:
That part of the project where we start poaching modmods:
Two new additions to the auto-installer (optional - can be left unchecked if not desired):
(7a) An updated version of Promotion Icons by @Asterix Rage , now all promotions have unique and easily-identifiable icons. Amazing work!​
(7b) An updated version of Promotion Viewer, thanks to @civplayer33 . Fully compatible with VP, has a button in the top panel next to events, etc. Big props! Updated Communitas mapscript in CP based on latest forum version from @JMA2286. Excellent work!​
Promotion Viewer, Promotion Icons and Communitas Map should be removed from Mods folder before installing? These are integrated into one of the VP dirs?

Promotion Viewer, Promotion Icons and Communitas Map should be removed from Mods folder before installing? These are integrated into one of the VP dirs?

Yes (7a) Promotion Icons for VP is the updated version of VP Promotion Icons 1.9 (VPPI) it replaces.
All versions of VPPI (and Promotion Viewer) must be removed from MOD folder.

Last edited:
Thanks very much indeed for the hard work!

Is it at all possible for those of us on existing campaigns to edit in only the fix for occupation happiness? Or is the fix itself something that would break saves? Cheers!

God of Sea is 2 food 1 faith. The change note says 2 food 2 faith.
Its much better than before though. I was able to found with just 3 cities :eekdance:

Thanks for the patch and especially for adding the modmods for vanilla. They did deserve to be included and it seems like a great idea.

Will give England a try. The Whaito Tawa espionage values not scaling with era (patch notes imply so) is good, the building has a ton of yields anyway and too much Science would be bally on a civ that steals techs from the get-go. Seems like Fealty for fast Armoury/Castle is going to be very viable.
The only thing I feel is an anti-synergy is the UA slowing down enemy spy actions. That + White Tower + Constabulary means the spies are slowed down to a crawl, meaning you won't really be getting that 100 science/gold much if at all because the opportunity to catch them in London will be much delayed. Granted, as England I can just forget the spy in the capital and be well off anyway, so it's probably a fine trade-off.

I don't know if that's enough for Statecraft, I will probably still avoid it but I appreciate it being less capital start-heavy. A land-locked capital won't mean it's a no-no anymore.

1. God of commerce, God of wisdom and Ancestor worship are now too similar. And there's no real reason to pick ancestor worship, if I get already 4 yields from God of commerce without any building and have a higher maximum of faith per follower/citizen.
There's not one pantheon with a reversed ratio, which is generating yields from a defined amount of faith. Atleast one of them should be changed into that direction.

2. I dislike the new England UB. 100 yields without era scaler is peanuts beyond renaissance, and 100 yields with scaler is far too much. It makes also no real sense to create a NW which is worse yield wise than the normal version (the normal NW gives 400 yields for spy actions, scaling with era)

3. Chinas yields gets now cut by 75%? I thought 50% is fine?

4. The changes to the diplo units are good, GD is now really worth the I stand usage.

1. God of commerce, God of wisdom and Ancestor worship are now too similar. And there's no real reason to pick ancestor worship, if I get already 4 yields from God of commerce without any building and have a higher maximum of faith per follower/citizen.
There's not one pantheon with a reversed ratio, which is generating yields from a defined amount of faith. Atleast one of them should be changed into that direction.

2. I dislike the new England UB. 100 yields without era scaler is peanuts beyond renaissance, and 100 yields with scaler is far too much. It makes also no real sense to create a NW which is worse yield wise than the normal version (the normal NW gives 400 yields for spy actions, scaling with era)

3. Chinas yields gets now cut by 75%? I thought 50% is fine?

4. The changes to the diplo units are good, GD is now really worth the I stand usage.

1. Ancestor Worship provides more of valuable yields. 2Science 1Culture >>> 2 Gold 2 Faith, or 1 Science 1 Faith. It also doesn't require any specific buildings to have it's Faith be maximised. You will likely generate less Gold and Science than is required to have the optimal 1 per 2 output.

2. The difference between WT and NIA is that NIA comes out when the game is already over, so the spy action yields don't matter. This one's 4 eras earlier. By the time NIA comes out, an average WT will have provided thousands of Science, Gold and Culture (if wide, and England should definitely go wide with this), faking elections, taking the lives of GPs and taking away Production, with the Spy and Spy rank bonus wreaking havoc upon those who weren't interested in trade agreements with England.

With a super action occuring every 15 turns (UA might speed them) and you having 3 spies in Renaissance even with Fealty, that's 300G/S every 15 turns, + any potential yields from advanced actions. WT has effectively 20 base :c5science::c5gold: if you're behind. If you're ahead, yeah you aren't stealing no techs, you aren't taking no GWs and it'll be peanuts and maybe an equivalent of 5:c5gold::c5science: per turn total (unless faking elections in CS gives full 100?), but the bonus spy + the UA + imminent SOTL should work nicely at weakening your opponents.

Well, that is 1 way to normalize the disparity between Internal and External Trade Routes for the Ottoman. Removing Food wouldn't change much for them. I doubt they will need a buff to their UB as result. The Production loss from TR's will hurt only somewhat.

The Ottoman was the biggest Wonder whoring civ in human hand because they can time those TRs and get production boost equal to 1 or 2 Great Engineer. The Science also help him getting the tech needed and he doesnt lack culture either. It made him the most OP civ in the game :)

I think a lot of the balance discussion has moved to the playthroughs section, which is really exciting. It's like evidence-based reasoning and stuff.

It will indeed be interesting to see the new White Tower in action. It does indeed put England in a weird situation w.r.t. the base NIA. The NIA gives 400:c5gold::c5science: on spy action, while White tower only gives 100:c5gold::c5science:. IMO, I think the instant yields from the NIA could be removed or reduced to 100:c5gold::c5science: so that this point of comparison doesn't become a problem.

Last edited:
White tower does scale with era. For what it is worth.
This just goes to show how rarely I actually build the NIA. So the NIA gives 2400:c5science::c5gold: on spy actions in Atomic? wowzers...

It was the strongest yield per pop at 1:2. Imagine you pick it as a progress civ when your cities have no other source of culture rather than the monument, this belief alone will triple your culture output.

Static Bonuses are only a portion of the culture a Progress civ produces, it gets tons of instant bonuses from buildings, and capitals always have a lot more culture due to various factors. I don't disagree with the nerf to inspiration, but lets not oversell the issue. Just because a city makes +2 static culture, does not mean a +4 bonus is a "tripling of culture".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom