1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Version - February 17th (2-17)

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Gazebo, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

I am a big fan of the diplomatic unit buffs, though not sure if its enough. Diplo Units are just very expensive, I can build top end military units for cheaper. But I'll take the buff!

Also even though it came out in the last version, I want to give a big kudos on the tourism UI changes. It really clarifies where your tourism is going, I understand the system a great deal better now.

2. pineappledan

pineappledan Warlord

No base defense bonus on the white tower, eh? :(

IMO, the NIA number could be halved. That's a rather incredible amount of yields, and you simply can't afford to give white tower that much or else it would be broken. It's harder on the optics, more than anything, but it also hints that the NIA numbers might be a bit over-tuned as is.

3. Cat-du-fromage

Cat-du-fromage Chieftain

mmmmmmhh can't see if the crash in multiplayer have been fix.

Did someone already make a try^^?

4. Rekk

Rekk Chieftain

Ah, interesting. It hurts my love of organization to not even see it referenced in the balance threads, though.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    vyyt likes this.
  5. HorseshoeHermit

HorseshoeHermit 20% accurate as usual, Morty

Empire median happiness needs?

This... this is what I've wanted for so long, but I thought you'd never change it. I thought you'd laugh at changing it! It's such a ... r-revolution

6. tu_79

tu_79 Warlord

The change to happiness is a big deal and a daring thing to do when we were so close to completion, but it may be deserved.

I'd like to propose to change the name of 'Happiness' to 'Administrative capacity', that reflects more precisely what :c5happy: is affected by and what it effects, especially with the current change.

glider1 and Gokudo01 like this.
  7. JMA2286

JMA2286 Chieftain

Thank you for putting in my Communitas map changes!

For anyone not familiar with them, I've been working on making Communitas more Earth-accurate, but still a randomly generated world.

Some of the major changes:
    • Latitude based climate. Tropics, Subtropics, Temperate, Boreal all represented.
    • More fish on the coasts
    • More accurate percentages of land vs. water, mountains, rivers, etc
    If you load up Really Advanced Setup, here are some tips if you want to make 100% sure your civ starts in a latitude that you want them to:

• Temperate Start: Region_Avoid - Jungle, Desert, Tundra
    • Subtropic Start: Region_Priority - Desert
    • Tropic Start: Region_Priority - Jungle
    • Boreal Start: Region_Priority - Tundra
    Examples of Civs by region:
    • Temperate - Pretty much any non-Mediterranean European civ, Persia, Far Eastern civs, Mongolia, Ottomans
    • Subtropic - Almost every historically Muslim civ, Carthage, India, Mediterranean European civs
    • Tropic - Siam, Indonesia, Songhai, Brazil, Mayans, Aztec
    • Boreal - Northern European, Russia

Gothic_Empire, Eboq, Tantro and 7 others like this.
  8. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

"Stability" has been a common alternate name thrown around many times.

9. besset

besset Chieftain

Too tired to use my brain. Did china yield reduction on era get buffed or nerfed ?:D

10. civplayer33

civplayer33 Chieftain

I would disagree; why would your administrative capacity increase with gaining access to more luxuries, for example, or finding out about Natural Wonders, or building certain World Wonders, or Landmarks; many social policies affecting Happiness won't fit then, either, so I think it creates more problems than it solves; also see my post in the Happiness balance thread.

tu_79 and vyyt like this.
  11. BiteInTheMark

BiteInTheMark Chieftain

After it should have been a 100% decrease but was only a 25% decrease while everyone thought its 50%, it was nerfed to a 100% decrease, post-fixed in the same version to a 50% decrease everyone agreed and got now nerfed to a 75% decrease. Simple ;)

12. HorseshoeHermit

HorseshoeHermit 20% accurate as usual, Morty

This unhappiness causes instability, but the meter itself seems to reflect something like the sense of being well-off in the nation vs. being a dumpster city. So, the feeling, well, the opposite of sensing that the empire is not working for this particular city. ... actually there's a lot that makes it look like "Loyalty", but we don't have free cities. I wouldn't like the term Loyalty because that assumes so much autocratic flavor....

Actually maybe the demographics screen has it right. Approval? It looks like happiness collects together the entire political dimension of the game: If you don't spread out the goodies, an exploited city will resist.
    But no, that's still a focus on a relationship between subject and ruler. It should include referral to a feeling of the subject singularly, or perhaps a feeling the citizen has for the other citizens who are living in the better conditions.

.. hmm.

tu_79 likes this.
  13. Txurce

Txurce Warlord

I'm really appreciative of your efforts with the Communitas map. Are you playing around with the resource balance, or has that also been addressed?

And on a side note, where best to download the Really Advanced Setup? I used to have it, but not anymore.

14. Kim Dong Un

Kim Dong Un Chieftain Supporter

Yea, I'm actually surprised G threw this in; until the resources are adjusted, Communitas is still broken.

Also @JMA2286, @tu_79 had provided another tweak in the "Map Script" thread, and I'm unaware if G added this (even better) tweak. Regardless, unless people like playing with resources on every other tile (even on 'Sparse'), I wouldn't recommend this to anyone yet. This resource fix is legitimately one of the only things I'm still waiting on before I can complete my VP experience hah!

15. Txurce

Txurce Warlord

To be clear, I don't find it broken — it's my favorite map. For me the downside is you only get one resource at the start, instead of two separate ones. Otherwise I like the balance.

On a side note, I wouldn't say Gazebo "threw this in." It's long been one of the available maps, and is significantly improved fro the prior one. But like you, I'm hoping the resource balance will soon more closely approximate Continents, etc.

TranceBlossom likes this.
  16. Bromar1

Bromar1 Chieftain

Seems like a harsh nerf for AI (or casual players like me :blush: ) though. Why not replace the production with gold? So get gold when ending a TR + science for international or + culture for internal

17. Minh Le

Minh Le Chieftain

Food and Science or Gold and Culture are already good. You can use a mix of internal and international TRs for the best effect. I'd say a typical tradition Ottoman with 3 cities, having 2 production TRs targeting its capital and the rest are international (probably going out from the capital too). You would still get a monster teching and wonder whoring civ, just not overpower like before.

18. Kim Dong Un

I'm well aware Communitas has been available to play for ages, and this is surely a welcome addition, but please try this...
    • Make sure you've activated IGE in your mods
    • Start a Standard Communitas with sparse resources
    • Play a couple turns (IGE won't work on turn 1)
    • Turn on IGE and witness the overabundant resources (mainly strategic), complete with an excessive myriad of single tile islands
    • Profit
    Sorry, but every civ having 40+ oil/iron/etc. in the late game seems kind of game breaking to me. Maybe 'broken' was the wrong choice of word, but unbalanced for sure. Maybe people don't mind playing with a resource on every other tile, but it's just too much for somebody playing with standard settings. I mean, at the end of the day I"ll just continue to play Continents instead, but this resource thing with Communitas is like an itch that can't be scratched. I hope there will eventually be a solution, because the map is great otherwise.

19. Asterix Rage

Asterix Rage Warlord

Actually you can't make more balanced than that. Nobody miss something

Everybody knows what a good Mapscript/Maps is. But at the end of the day nobody share the same map.
    IMO, I believe a good map is simply when you have no clue at all, about what the map is. Total surprise. Lot of things? Nothing, Icy, burned ? Small ? Large?
    Communitas like many others can do that partially anyway.

The best games I had were with a folder filled with Maps (Not mapscripts) pre-selected long before. Hundred Maps with no descriptions. Roll the dice. Pick one at random. Game starts. Never think too quickly that the map is a disaster or whatever. Cross the seas, deserts and mountains. We never know...
    Result is: at least 1 out of 3 First Class Great Adventure Games. By the way you'll meet (sometime) planets handmade 1000% better than any algo mapscript

1 out of 4 :)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    Txurce likes this.
  20. Kim Dong Un

That's why there is a strategic balance option in game setup. If I don't personally check this option, then no, it's not ok for every civ to have an abundance of everything. Certain civs are based around having advantages off certain strategic resources, and they're actually at a disadvantage if everything is split equally.

Although playing a random map can start off intriguing, I'd bet that most users don't find it too fun playing a landlocked Carthage/Polynesia either (or whatever else can go wrong), usually resulting in a re-roll.

vyyt likes this.