1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Version - January 29th (1-29)

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Gazebo, Jan 29, 2019.

1. pineappledan

pineappledan Warlord

2. Guynemer

Guynemer Chieftain

Sorry, you ninja'd me, I was meant to reply to Txurce.

Txurce likes this.
  3. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch

Yus

pineappledan likes this.
  4. DakaSha

DakaSha Chieftain

After upgrading to the hotfix i have UI issues. The unit icons are gone:

Attached Files:

5. Gazebo

You probably downloaded before MEGA was finished uploading. Try redownloading it.

G

ryanmusante, vyyt and DakaSha like this.
  6. DakaSha

DakaSha Chieftain

Wow I didnt even think that was possible. It works now.

ryanmusante and vyyt like this.
  7. CrazyG

CrazyG Warlord

Is anyone else having a hard time pushing through AI armies? I've killed like 20 warriors, but I can't take any city because they just never stop coming. Looks like each city is producing one every turn, even with classical era units I'm unable to kill them fast enough.

8. FreedomSS

FreedomSS Chieftain

which one am i supposed to download if i just need the hotfix? 1-29-2?

9. crdvis16

crdvis16 Chieftain

Im having success in my Assyria game currently (haven't updated to the most recent hotfix yet though). Conquering is harder due to AI tactical improvements but I don't think the quantity of units is to blame in my case. Maybe that particular AI has some very productive cities or is able to stave off weariness for whatever reason (Authority weariness reduction?).

Wars now seem to be attrition affairs where you take up strong positions and kill off large numbers of troops and allow war weariness to take its toll in order to make real progress on cities. I imagine Deity has sort of been dealing with this type of attrition before but now Immortal is too. It's challenging and has improved warmonger games in my opinion. Is Deity becoming unmanageable? I'd almost be happy to hear that it is as it probably does this game some good if Deity is even harder.

10. CrazyG

CrazyG Warlord

Thanks for responding. May I ask what difficulty are you on?

I am on Deity, and I guess I lost two games today. Deity should be hard and I'm fine with taking a loss, I'm guessing I need to change my approach. The AI put settlers down right in front of me and stopped me from settling. That's fine, I've dealt with this before. I tried to adapt, switch to building military, but just I couldn't take the cities. I did my standard approach, pillaging the strategic tiles in order to block horses/iron. Get a great surprise attack off, have a tech advantage in weapons, I just can't seem to grind through. I literally cannot deal damage faster than he builds units, which means even when I dealt about 200 damage to the city before the army really got there, I just couldn't get it. Even with a lot of pillaging and trade routes, he doesn't appear to have war wariness penalites (my enemies don't have authority). Eventually they started building archers instead of warriors, up until then I managed to take very little damage, but once my units starting getting hit I had to pull back.

Even letting myself reload the game and attack a different way, I couldn't find a way to break through, unless I wait for medieval era units. I just want to see how others experiences have gone, and see if this was an exception (I'm fighting Arabia and Morocco in these two attempts).

11. civplayer33

civplayer33 Chieftain

Maybe it's time to lower or eliminate those AI promotion handicaps?

Kim Dong Un likes this.
  12. Rekk

Rekk Chieftain

That doesn't seem to be the problem.

13. civplayer33

civplayer33 Chieftain

Really? It seems to me fighting against weaker units might be easier, but then I'm just a noob.

If the AI can now manage to pommel players tactically to a sufficient degree, it may not need promotion bonuses (=stronger units) anymore.

Kim Dong Un likes this.
  14. Joel Lee

Joel Lee Chieftain

Hello,

I can't see the battle preview which shows how much damage I will inflict for my ranged units (screenshot below). The screen for melee units works fine. Anyone have any advice?

I'm using the following mods as well: UI - Promition Tree, UI - Show XP in military overview, UI - Religion Spread, Community Events, Events&Decisions(CBO), Capture++(by Enginseer), InfoAddict, Really Advanced Setup, Sukritact's Suzerainty.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

2019-02-04.png

15. Gazebo

The AI gets a slight production boost in a units origin city when a unit dies. It has for some time. I wonder if recent performance improvements have rendered that handicap redundant?

G

16. crdvis16

crdvis16 Chieftain

I'm on standard/standard/Immortal, VP and nothing else.

I'm surprised that weariness didn't at least eventually get you the upper hand. That seems to be how I am eventually making headway in my warmonger games. After grinding enough units they eventually stop replacing them so quickly. It takes much longer to take the initial city in a war but the subsequent cities fall faster after that (assuming my own war weariness or other circumstance haven't forced me to allow peace). At some point it's like they just break.

I wonder if you had given the war more time you would have broken them eventually?

17. BiteInTheMark

BiteInTheMark Chieftain

I don't think WW on higher difficulties have any effect on AI. It's more a problem and control mechanic for the human.
    Take an example:
    If you and a deity AI have a normal supply cap of 40, your AI enemy would have a supply cap of 54 (handicap bonus). Now define both sides are using 30 units and you didn't lose any unit and the AI is able to replace any lost unit immidiatly. The AI would need to suffer 45% WW to get hit by the WW penalty. Cause half the penalty is always inflicted to you, your WW would reduce your cap by 22,5% to a maximum of 31 units.
    Even if you didn't lose any unit, you would be nearly at the same level than the AI would be.

If AI would be striked by maximum of 75% WW, their supply cap would be 13,5. So hit by additional 85% production cost for new units (was 75% the maximum?)
    Let's say this battle happens in medieval, the deity AI has a production cost reduction of 37%.
    0,63*1,85=1,16
    Effectivly, even with highest WW, the AI have to pay only 16% more production to replace a unit.
    You would suffer atleast 37,5% WW, which would reduce your supply cap to 25. 5 units over the cap would result in a production Malus of 25%.

Result: Even if you didn't lose any unit in that battle and the AI would be hit by the maximum amount of WW. You'd still pay more to replace a lost unit than the AI. It's a hypothetical case, sure, but it should be able to show, how unreliable an attrition war on higher difficulties should is.

18. Mad Madigan

Mad Madigan Chieftain

I don't get nearly as much time to play VP these days, but I was able to start a game in this version and I have to chime in and say that it's absolutely night and day with the AI now between 1-29 and the 12-18 version I was playing before. I thought the tactical AI was good then, but now it truly feels like playing against another human in a multiplayer game. In my current game I started as the Huns with France, Inca, and Zulu as my continental neighbors. I raided France early for their worker units so I could focus my production on military units (and Stonehenge since I was able to found my capital on Marble), and they furiously fought back to recapture their workers. I ended up losing my Pathfinder in the process due to a clever flanking attack from France's own Pathfinder.

Then not much later the Zulu showed up at my doorstep with an invasion army of 4 warriors and 2 archers (with two fresh spearmen and two more archers joining them 5-6 turns later). I only had warriors to defend myself with since I was rushing Military Tactics for Tarkhan (playing with 3/4UC mod) and then Horse Archers, and I had to hold off the invasion for 4 turns before I could pop out my first Tarkhan. Unfortunately the Zulu swarmed to my only improved source of horses and I lost 2 warriors trying to defend it. Sure enough the Zulu pillaged the horses 1 turn before I could spawn my Tarkhan and I had to wait til my (slave) workers finished improving a second source of horses that I luckily had control of. Once I was able to produce that first Tarkhan the conflict turned into an offensive war as I was able to capture both of the Zulu archers and then in turn start killing/capturing the first four warriors they sent just in time for their second wave to arrive with spearmen, more archers, and a chariot archer. The Zulu DID manage to retreat one of their warriors behind my lines and hid them for a few turns before they came back and tried to pillage my improved tiles while my forces were otherwise occupied. I've never seen the AI do that before! In the end I managed to capture and convert 3 archers, 1 spearman, the chariot archer, and a few warrior units before I got a white peace. Considering that I hadn't researched Trapping or Bronze Working this was a huge boost to my military, and I'm sure the Zulu are going to be extremely happy to see their own forces at their borders once the peace treaty expires. :satan:

19. black213

black213 Chieftain

Could we see the return of AI requesting the denouncement of a third party or is it gone for a reason? It happens very rarely in vanilla BNW but I've yet to see it occur in VP, which is a shame because I like any diplomatic 'fluidity' I can get from Civ 5's pretty shallow diplomacy. @Gazebo

20. CrazyG

CrazyG Warlord

Maybe the AI just holds out longer than on previous versions? I was at war for 20 standard turns already, and his army was getting bigger, not smaller. At this point, I had lost 2 supply due to war wariness.
    I'm aware of this and my initial thought was that maybe something about changed, either accidentally or unreportedly. In this particular fight the AI isn't doing that well tactically, granted there isn't much to do tactically with warriors against skirmishers.