1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Version - June 29th (6-29)

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Gazebo, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

Hey all,

New version inbound. Largely just QOL improvements and a few bugfixes.

Here's the changelog:

New version online as of...now.

G

2. supracseduch

supracseduch Warlord

While it's true that 2nd tier Air Supremacy was too powerful (the airports were insane), this change is not very aesthetically pleasing. Each Ideology supports three victory paths. One will notice that their third tier tenets each correspond to their victory paths, namely:

Freedom: Media Culture (Cultural), Space Procurements (Scientific), Treaty Organization (Diplomatic)
    Order: Dictatorship of the Proletariat (Cultural), Spaceflight Pioneers (Scientific), Iron Curtain (Military)
    Autocracy: Cult of Personality (Cultural), Legacy of Clausewitz (Military), Gunboat Diplomacy (Diplomatic)

With this change, we replace a Diplomatic Victory-focused third tier tenet with another one that doesn't directly focus on a particular victory type, and even leans toward the cultural and military victory paths. Like I said, I don't find this aesthetically pleasing. Not to mention that Gunboat Diplomacy at tier 2 seems really overpowered. I would have thought simply nerfing Air Supremacy was the better solution.

3. Gazebo

I see the levels more as a series of degrees of power, rather than a pyramid towards victory goals. The fact that you are likely to get almost all ideology tenets by the game's end reinforces that the 'aesthetics' end up being purely that - aesthetic.

That said, if the community wants it reverted, it was a simple change.
    G

4. Funak

Funak Deity

Holy moley! That was actually fixable? Wow.

Why does it feel like your version of interesting is going to be something I hate? :D

:D

Aggressively sounds nice, I like it.

While I completely understand this change, I don't know why but liberty still feels pretty weak. This policy gave too much gold, but I think liberty needs something else.

The rest sounds nice.

5. Gazebo

You can get a ton of science from liberty. Don't underestimate the power of the 'on x occurring, receive y' policies.

G

6. Funak

Funak Deity

Yeah I know, the main reason I dislike that policy, it feels way too powerful and it gives too big of an early science advantage. I feel like that policy would have been way better as a finisher.

7. Gazebo

It does fall off, though, which makes Liberty 'balanced' (early reward, later less so).

G

8. Carinyc

Carinyc Chieftain

I would argue that any bonus in the early game is going to put you ahead of those who don't have those bonuses, and as a result you enter the late game faster vis a vis you have an advantage in the late game

9. Funak

Funak Deity

Sure thing, but it makes Liberty unstable It makes a culture ruin and a decent food-start snowball you into a pretty huge tech/gold-lead, don't get me wrong I'm not saying that is bad design or anything but it is honestly usually a bad sign when that's all it takes.
    Moving that policy-design to the finisher and replacing it with something else would be my suggestion, probably removing the old finisher while we are at it, I'm still really not a huge fan of that one.

10. Gazebo

You guys like the new happiness box on the left-hand side of the city view window? I also thought some of the more mathematically-inclined of you would appreciate the numbers of happiness global average modifiers finally being exposed.

G

11. ecgopher

ecgopher Warlord

I do like it! If it could explicitly say each founded/pupetted city increases by x% and each technology increases by x% it would pretty much be perfect.

12. Delekhan

Delekhan Prince

Good move on Air Supremacy. Early Air Supremacy was just haxx, basically easy mode for the Modern Era.

13. Gazebo

That's what the four yield modifiers represent - do you want it broken down further?

G

14. Strigvir

Strigvir Emperor

That's already in the game in science and culture tooltip.

15. Gazebo

He's asking about happiness, not tech/policy cost.

G

16. ecgopher

ecgopher Warlord

Maybe I'm missing it, but as far as I'm aware, there's no tooltip that says something like, "Your happiness yield thresholds increase by 2% [it is 2%, isn't it?] for every city you own/puppet." As noted, it's there for science and policy costs from the top bar tooltip, but not for happiness. Maybe there's a better place for that disclaimer instead of the happiness tooltip in city view, but I feel like it should appear somewhere in game as it's the primary limiting factor to expansion. My concern isn't so much seeing the breakdown when you are managing your tiles, as making sure that the player knows that founding/capturing new cities will not only create their own unhappiness, but also make happiness harder to manage in already existing cities as well.

17. Gazebo

I'm not sure we're on the same page. Those modifiers (Poverty/Illiteracy/Crime/Boredom) in the Happiness tooltip in the cityview offer exactly what you're asking for. Since happiness in CBP is managed on a city-by-city basis, it can't be in the toppanel.

G

18. ecgopher

ecgopher Warlord

My point is there's nothing to indicate how much they'll go up by if you found another city.

19. Delekhan

Delekhan Prince

You don't need any indicators if you found another city. For regular settlers the maximum amount of unhappiness on founding is 1. For Pioneers it's 3. For Colonists it's 5 (I think).

20. ecgopher

ecgopher Warlord

That's the unhappiness in the new city. I'm talking about how founding a new city raises the yield needs modifiers in all cities.