Improvements to tactical AI, diplo unit AI
    Bugfixes and performance improvements
    Units less likely to explode when teleported
    Fixed issue with war weariness calculation
    Fixed UI issue with OoP for happiness types
    Github issue cleanup
Balance
    AI
        No longer gets small amounts of production when a human kills their units
    New metric for num. city penalty:
        No longer considered razing cities as 'free' (so you can't exploit the function)
        Can now increase as well as decrease - if you have 5 cities, and lose 1, the city penalty is not stuck at 5
    Improvements
        Landmark gains +3c/+3g base
        Both build and owner (if not builder) get the +3 happiness now
    Happiness
        Slight increase to tech penalty (%200->%225)
    Difficulty
        Removed additional early unit for AIs King and above
            Unfun mechanic, barely helps AI
    Religion
        When you become leader of a religion via conquest, all current faith points are converted into GAP (formerly they were just lost to the warp)
    Gamespeed scaling
        Added new gamespeed scaling value: InstantYieldPercent
            Used for all instant yield calculations in the game, instead of TrainPercent
        Current scaling values:
            Quick: 50%
            Standard: 100%
            Epic: 150%
            Marathon: 200%
        (for comparison, TrainPercent is 67/100/160/300)
        What this means:
            Instant yields will not be as strong in Marathon and Quick speeds as they are now
            Disconnecting this allows modders to fine-tune these values

Online as of 10:20pm EST. Not savegame compatible.

Link: https://mega.nz/#F!DMsxkDYI!zSpR9CHpmAfWyIvMXaN3pw

Cheers,
G

Bless you Gazebo!

I am wondering what the razing change means exactly. If I raze a city, will it increase my science etc. penalty the same as annexing? Does razing + refounding count as two cities?

I'd been away for a couple months, only to get back and have you tease a new version a few nights ago.

The withdrawal was real...

VP hittin' all them dopamine receptors with the force of a thousand war elephants.

I assume the settling distance issue wasn't addressed for this release, and that the AI will still get all *****y about me settling anywhere remotely close to them?

Last edited:
Bless you Gazebo!

I am wondering what the razing change means exactly. If I raze a city, will it increase my science etc. penalty the same as annexing? Does razing + refounding count as two cities?
It only ever counts the current number of cities you own. A city that is currently in the process of being razed increases your tech/policy modifiers. When the city no longer exists, your tech/policy modifiers will go back down.

I'd been away for a couple months, only to get back and have you tease a new version a few nights ago.

The withdrawal was real...

VP hittin' all them dopamine receptors with the force of a thousand war elephants.

I assume the settling distance issue wasn't addressed for this release, and that the AI will still get all *****y about me settling anywhere remotely close to them?

Ilteroi made some tweaks to it yesterday, they're in this version. Dunno how much it changed, but it looked proper.

Nice Cosmic Encounter reference.

Re: the warp? Yes, inquisitor, this guy right here...

G

Bless you Gazebo!

The most important part of this change is "num city can decrease".
So if you are razing a city, the city count as an owned city (contrary to before), but once the city is razed, your city count will decrease (contrary to before)

Did AI aggression vs player get turned up? I am getting DoW'd by everyone, simultaneously, for no discernible reason. I have transparent diplo on, and see nothing there.

I can win King games every time, but as soon as you get into Emperor+ the AI's production bonuses just get silly. It's the only tangible difference in jumping difficulties, and it's frustratingly cheese.

I don't know how any of you play Immortal or Deity, the strat must be the same every game no matter what policies you choose; you have to turtle, plain and simple...

Who even plays Emperor+ and picks Progress, when the AI will just spit out settlers at a crazy pace and deny you land from multiple angles? OK, lets prioritize settling for ourselves instead! Hah, the AI will proceed to swoop in with their ridiculous armies to pick your vulnerable cities clean. The below example shows a progress Songhai with 9 units + 3 cities + workers on turn 53 (Emperor)...

Spoiler :
Screenshot (29).png

There's just no matching up with all that production, and the grind is not fun. Even after G just removed some hammer bonus and bonus starting units, it's still apparent that these production buffs are excessive IMO. I don't get how that "fake" difficulty is really fun for Emperor+ players. There's no way to even have a peaceful game on higher settings either, as you'll be outnumbered and most likely DoW'd the entire game. I'm not trying to bash VP, I'd just like to play higher difficulties and get better, but better in this case means turtle with 4 cities every game...

Last edited:
There's just no matching up with all that production, and the grind is not fun. Even after G just removed some hammer bonus and bonus starting units, it's still apparent that these production buffs are excessive IMO. I don't get how that "fake" difficulty is really fun for Emperor+ players. There's no way to even have a peaceful game on higher settings either, as you'll be outnumbered and most likely DoW'd the entire game. I'm not trying to bash VP, I'd just like to play higher difficulties and get better, but better in this case means turtle with 4 cities every game...
That would mean that hardly any Emperor+ players are wide playing, that it's fruitless to do anything but play tall. But, that can't be the case, there are plenty of wide players on high difficulties.

I'd just like to play higher difficulties and get better, but better in this case means turtle with 4 cities every game...
Don't quote me on this, but I think many Immortal/Deity players have great success with Authority for expansion when early war is inevitable or necessary. That's what I find works for me on Emperor when I get a neighbour like Askia; though I don't see why Progress wouldn't work either.
In your screenshot it seemed Askia went for an archer-warrior rush/spam to cheese you--something I do to Askia every single time he spawns near me hehe

I don't know how any of you play Immortal or Deity, the strat must be the same every game no matter what policies you choose; you have to turtle, plain and simple
Not at all.

Your picture looks unusually aggressive though, and another person has commented on this. I wonder if something was adjusted this patch. Even on Deity, war declarations before turn 50 are rare, at least on previous patches (Aztec likes to, but not many others). With that said, in that situation I would consider settling Te-Moak where you did to basically be an act of war against Songhai. If you must settle there, it means you either kill him or fight him all game, and killing him is definitely the better option.

I can win King games every time, but as soon as you get into Emperor+ the AI's production bonuses just get silly. It's the only tangible difference in jumping difficulties, and it's frustratingly cheese.

Who even plays Emperor+ and picks Progress, when the AI will just spit out settlers at a crazy pace and deny you land from multiple angles?

You've played enough VP to know better than this.

As to who plays progress on Emperor +, it's all I've done in 2019 with one exception, since I rarely get past 1 or 2 games per patch and always test on Progress. I am winning MORE with the last couple than I had all year. In fact, my last game was step up to Immortal. My strategy such as it is follows basic Progress tenets, the same as it has for years.

Don't quote me on this, but I think many Immortal/Deity players have great success with Authority for expansion when early war is inevitable or necessary. That's what I find works for me on Emperor when I get a neighbour like Askia; though I don't see why Progress wouldn't work either.
In your screenshot it seemed Askia went for an archer-warrior rush/spam to cheese you--something I do to Askia every single time he spawns near me hehe

I'm playing deity now and I play using every strategy and am doing fine. I alternate between strategy archetypes every game to keep the experience "fresh". Authority->warmonger, Progress->expansionist/wide, Tradition->turtle/tall. They all work and are viable. Honestly, some of the easiest to win seem to be the Tradition->turtle/tall games. I just won a game last night ~T375 as Netherlands grabbing a diplo victory and had a 5 city tradition empire (puppeted two pretty meaningless island cities just as an excuse to make use of sea beggars). But you can most definitely have success being a warmonger or going wide/progress.

I will say that circumstances play a big role in game difficulty, though. Wanting to play wide but spawning on a crowded continent makes things difficult. More flexible players will ditch progress and adjust by going authority, for instance, but I don't tend to do that because I may have just played a warmonger game and would get burnt out by more war. It would also be tough trying to play a tall culture game only to have a culture powerhouse spawn on another continent where you can't easily do anything about it. Same with wanting to play a warmonger game only to be on a continent with civs that are warmongers themselves- it can be tough to conquer Persia or Greece early when they are swimming in their UUs. In all of those circumstances the game might feel like the difficulty is deity+ whereas in more favorable circumstances the game can feel easier than the typical deity difficulty.

I find in general when I'm playing Tall that I am declared on much less frequently. Peace seems to be beget peace. That said, I don't know if I SHOULD be declared on less, realistically I don't have the military to retaliate, and if the AI just blockades me and takes out of my ETRs their isn't much that can be done.

I find in general when I'm playing Tall that I am declared on much less frequently. Peace seems to be beget peace. That said, I don't know if I SHOULD be declared on less, realistically I don't have the military to retaliate, and if the AI just blockades me and takes out of my ETRs their isn't much that can be done.
My experience with tradition is that the AI is peaceful most of the game (because of lack of border conflicts). They switch to aggressive eventually, but its usually too late (I often get denounced but win before the war actually happens). Most of the time, get hit with a sanction or travel ban (or both), but it usually comes a world congress too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom