New Version - May 26th (5-26)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazebo

Lord of the Community Patch
Supporter
Hey all,

Sorry for the quick turnaround, a big bug popped up and I wanted to squash it ASAP. Thankfully the CP itself (both 43- and standard civ count versions) is savegame compatible. The CBO changes will not affect your current game, but should allow for loading. The AI may do some erratic reshuffling of opinions after the load - give it a turn or two. I've decided to release this as a new version for visibility.

Here's the changelog:
Bugs:
  • Fix for CTD if a city grabs an ancient ruin in some situations
  • Fixed a really bad diplo AI bug related to approach evaluation modeling
  • Fixed an issue with 3rd party war evaluations in some situations
  • Improved AI military target selection (ilteroi)

Balance:
  • Siam's UA influence now 40 (was 45)
  • XP from Spotting now 2 per turn (was 5)
  • Dojo Music slot removed, added +1 additional Culture to building

I'll be away for a bit as of next week, but I'll do my best to answer any questions during that time.

To reiterate, this is savegame compatible.

Here's the link: https://mega.nz/#!mBcmxLJS!Dd6mDS2ud8v1GVPQ6kt0VLVS5sZ-rG5SJbY1bIbTbdg

Cheers,
Gazebo

Gazebo in this patch AI will still nuke their friends?

And a question for future - can AI after ending their turn ask about new open borders agreement if old was ended? Can it be coded? If their is such possibility, but u haven't time for that - I can propose my help to do that.

Am I the only one who isn't completely sold on the spotter/pillage promotions? Feels so counterproductive to pick a promotion to earn experience faster. Maybe bake it into Survivalism/Trailblazer 3?
Not only that, my pathfinders are still of use and throw. It's much easier to let them die and produce scouts once I'm able to do it. Not that I want them to die, but it happens. The first one was trapped between two archer barbs, mountains and sea at the sides. I picked the extra bonus for goody huts and regreted it (many bonuses don't add anything). Next one, with survivalist II, survived a couple of barb camps, but then he met his first horseman barb. Tried to escape after first hit, but the horseman just saw him and killed my pathfinder in next turn. A third one was trapped behind closed borders, so I just disbanded him. Short story, they still cannot be on their own.
The scout is slightly better for he starts with +1 sight and I now how to embark already, but there isn't much to explore then. At this point, it's better as a recon unit (I was playing peacefully, so he just sat in a border to watch it). The explorer is good for scouting again since he can travel ocean, I didn't test it facing renaissance barbs, though.

Gazebo in this patch AI will still nuke their friends?

And a question for future - can AI after ending their turn ask about new open borders agreement if old was ended? Can it be coded? If their is such possibility, but u haven't time for that - I can propose my help to do that.

I didn't look at that yet. It is a fairly niche case but it is in my radar.

AI can't ask questions if their turn is over.

G, is the city founding/ancient ruin bug what was causing my issues with YNAEMP?

Am I the only one who isn't completely sold on the spotter/pillage promotions? Feels so counterproductive to pick a promotion to earn experience faster. Maybe bake it into Survivalism/Trailblazer 3?

Agreed, either that or add in a secondary effect.

Agreed, either that or add in a secondary effect.
I'll voice a dissenting opinion here. I view it as a way to 'invest' unit experience into greater future promotions. I think it presents a really interesting decision to the player, and I would actually support a similar mechanic on other units as well - a promotion that doesn't make the unit more powerful, but increases future xp gain. It's a gamble that you'll be able to keep the unit alive long enough to make it worthwhile. Of course, on non-scouting units, the mechanism could be simply 'greater experience from combat' instead of the pillaging/enemy territory bonuses. If you're not a fan, then don't take the promotion. It's not mandatory.

Not only that, my pathfinders are still of use and throw. It's much easier to let them die and produce scouts once I'm able to do it. Not that I want them to die, but it happens. The first one was trapped between two archer barbs, mountains and sea at the sides. I picked the extra bonus for goody huts and regreted it (many bonuses don't add anything). Next one, with survivalist II, survived a couple of barb camps, but then he met his first horseman barb. Tried to escape after first hit, but the horseman just saw him and killed my pathfinder in next turn. A third one was trapped behind closed borders, so I just disbanded him. Short story, they still cannot be on their own.
The scout is slightly better for he starts with +1 sight and I now how to embark already, but there isn't much to explore then. At this point, it's better as a recon unit (I was playing peacefully, so he just sat in a border to watch it). The explorer is good for scouting again since he can travel ocean, I didn't test it facing renaissance barbs, though.
I got a pathfinder all the way to a paratrooper my only game so far. He had 10 promotions when the game ended

I think the most important thing is to get the +1 sight promotions early on because they provide lots of experience and help keep you safe.

Yeah I also accidentally went for the extra loot from ancient ruins promotion once, first of all I don't think it actually worked, still got 15 culture from a ruin (It's supposed to be 15 and not 12, right?) second, it's just way too big of a gamble if you actually find another ruin after your first promotion, or if that ruin gives yields.
And you're absolutely right about them still being really squishy, played a match as Shoshone (they still start with a pathfinder instead of a warrior by the way, not sure if that's intended) and went for unit upgrades after culture and production in the cycle, build an additional 2 pathfinders before shrine and sent them all out, the ones that got upgraded to scouts survived extremely well but the one that didn't just got killed off by the first spawning barb horseman.

Yeah I also accidentally went for the extra loot from ancient ruins promotion once, first of all I don't think it actually worked, still got 15 culture from a ruin (It's supposed to be 15 and not 12, right?) second, it's just way too big of a gamble if you actually find another ruin after your first promotion, or if that ruin gives yields.
And you're absolutely right about them still being really squishy, played a match as Shoshone (they still start with a pathfinder instead of a warrior by the way, not sure if that's intended) and went for unit upgrades after culture and production in the cycle, build an additional 2 pathfinders before shrine and sent them all out, the ones that got upgraded to scouts survived extremely well but the one that didn't just got killed off by the first spawning barb horseman.
Perhaps game speed has something to do with pathfinders being good for some people and not for others. If the pathfinder finishes his work before horsemen appears I can see them earning enough experience.

Perhaps game speed has something to do with pathfinders being good for some people and not for others. If the pathfinder finishes his work before horsemen appears I can see them earning enough experience.
I think you're on to something. I play on Epic speed and enormous maps, so my pathfinders are highly promoted badasses way before horsemen come online.

Barbarian horsemen usually show up around turn 20-30 in standard speed.

I thought it depends on discovered technologies. When I delay animal breeding, it takes more time to show up. And when I rush trapping, I usually face archer barbs. Not hatcher.
I usually leave that tech as one of the last ones in the ancient era, only really matters that enough AI have discovered it (unless I've misunderstood the system).

This is one of those things that are heavily affected by difficulty however, with the AI reaching the tech a lot faster on higher difficulties.

Ancient ruin promotion for scouts is awful, it's basically a waste of a promotion. Spotters is neat, being only 2 XP made the mentioned in previous thread super-broken Japan tactic irrelevant as it's better to spam archers and attack cities as they are better units and also get 2 XP per attack, meaning you get the exact same gain in the end. It's still a decent promotion though.

I suggest something like mixing spotters and ancient ruin pick up promo, so it'd be +2XP if in enemy lands and +25% yields from ruins. As the +25% would only be meaningful for big Faith ruin, it wouldn't change the balance of the promotion anyway.
5XP per pillaged tile is not very relevant too unless you bother to do it to roads, in which case it's super good. Roads shouldn't give XP, but the promotion should get something else in return, like +5 Gold (scaling with gamespeed only) per tile, or more HP healed if pillaging, unless the roads XP was ninjafixed in 26th patch as I didn't try that tactic again on 26th patch.

I got a pathfinder all the way to a paratrooper my only game so far. He had 10 promotions when the game ended

I think the most important thing is to get the +1 sight promotions early on because they provide lots of experience and help keep you safe.

You just made me realize I lost my oldest unit - scout to paras - in my current game during a diversion offensive. I feel bad now...

(The offensive was meant to divert the enemy's troops to their southern border before a proper seaborne invasion force landed on the north eastern coast. The Land-based offensive had no siege capabilities as all artillery pieces were grouped in the rear when a nuke obliterated the base camp. The task force accomplished its mission dutifully but was annihilated. Only one tank made its way north, to regroup with the "marines")

I suggest something like mixing spotters and ancient ruin pick up promo, so it'd be +2XP if in enemy lands and +25% yields from ruins.

Good idea. And that will help AI, cause now when ancient ruins are disabled AI still get ancient ruin promo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom