New Version - May 26th (5-26)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Earth. Every time my first city is in a isolated place, for Odin's beard, a swarm of barbarians, not impossible to handle but REALLY frustrating, and man, turn 60-80 they sometimes are already with lancers and everything, wtf. Can't deal with promoted units at this stage popping one after another. Tried one last time, gave up, last game I found like 4 encampments before turn 30, I was in a isolated place but, man, too much on Epic.
You could try adding more civs to the game, or more city states. Less empty space would cause this to relax a little bit.

Or play a more typical map, like Pangea or Continents. I usually the barbarians are just right on these maps

Earth. Every time my first city is in a isolated place, for Odin's beard, a swarm of barbarians, not impossible to handle but REALLY frustrating, and man, turn 60-80 they sometimes are already with lancers and everything, wtf. Can't deal with promoted units at this stage popping one after another. Tried one last time, gave up, last game I found like 4 encampments before turn 30, I was in a isolated place but, man, too much on Epic.
Lancers? Turn 80? What are you talking about? I've never seen a lancer before turn 200. It should be even later for epic pace.

If you mean horsemen, then yes, and they are a PITA if you don't have spearsmen.

You've been given several solutions. Include more civs, so your neighbors take care of some barbs. Place watchmen over some hills to prevent fog of war. Both work.

And then another: now that you know what barbs can do, have more units to fight them. Learn to use your units more effectively. Have at least one archer with healing covering a melee with cover for a basic defense. Have at least one fast unit. Try to benefit from flanking and terrain. Use friendly territory and city walls to your advantage. In coasts, ranged ships are quite useful, but only when you can shoot everything from the seas. If you are too isolated at the beginning and need help, pick Authority.
In other words, git gud.

Hey, so i tried installing this version but i get this error right at the end of the installation. I had the may 22 version installed previously if that matters.

Attachments

• error vp.jpg
    error vp.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 83
If you have ingame editor, check if it's a building in their city that has 1 turn left to be built. If there is, try just giving them the building in that city with ingame editor.

No idea how that works. Care to guide me?

I've got a strange turn pending during city states turn since turn 350.
I 'm using reforestation, less ice on map, poor tiles tweak and wonder race.
Of course, I'm using the full vox populi pack with EUI

No idea how that works. Care to guide me?
Install the mod from steam, press Ctrl + i in game. Hover over the cities of the player that's causing the crash. Check if they have a building or unit that has 1 turn remaining. If so, click on the cities tab in the mod and then give them that building before it finishes, then reload and try press next turn.

Ahhh.....the last two itterations have really nerfed my shoshone start all to hell. Barbarians trounce my poor horribly nerfed pathfinder before he can get two goodies.

Does this work with the starting scout mod? When I use starting scout it gives me a pathfinder instead.

Does this work with the starting scout mod? When I use starting scout it gives me a pathfinder instead.

That's the starting "scout," for all civs. These Pathfinders upgrade to Scout at Sailing, and Explorers at Compass.

There are no old-style Shoshone Pathfinders in the game any more. The current Shoshone Pathfinders are identical to other Pathfinders, except they give you a choice of goodies in the ruins... and no longer upgrade to Comp Bowmen.

That's the starting "scout," for all civs. These Pathfinders upgrade to Scout at Sailing, and Explorers at Compass.

There are no old-style Shoshone Pathfinders in the game any more. The current Shoshone Pathfinders are identical to other Pathfinders, except they give you a choice of goodies in the ruins... and no longer upgrade to Comp Bowmen.
Ok thanks for the answer :)

Install the mod from steam, press Ctrl + i in game. Hover over the cities of the player that's causing the crash. Check if they have a building or unit that has 1 turn remaining. If so, click on the cities tab in the mod and then give them that building before it finishes, then reload and try press next turn.

That doesn't solve anything though. I tried 4 games and they all crash somewhere between 140-200 turns. (epic pace)

When I played as Venice again with latest mod I lost control of Venice after conquering a American-controlled formerly-German city. It didn't give any option to liberate the city. It was a city built by Germany (ie not previously a city-state). After conquering the city in different saves and at different times the same thing always happens. I instantly gain the city as a vassal, without any other options to burn or else. My capitol city, Venice, then also goes into a vassal state and I can no longer decide what it wants to build.

Lancers? Turn 80? What are you talking about? I've never seen a lancer before turn 200. It should be even later for epic pace.

If you mean horsemen, then yes, and they are a PITA if you don't have spearsmen.

You've been given several solutions. Include more civs, so your neighbors take care of some barbs. Place watchmen over some hills to prevent fog of war. Both work.

And then another: now that you know what barbs can do, have more units to fight them. Learn to use your units more effectively. Have at least one archer with healing covering a melee with cover for a basic defense. Have at least one fast unit. Try to benefit from flanking and terrain. Use friendly territory and city walls to your advantage. In coasts, ranged ships are quite useful, but only when you can shoot everything from the seas. If you are too isolated at the beginning and need help, pick Authority.
In other words, git gud.

Not lancers, but spearmans, juts a mistake, anyway I think it's unbalanced, just last game in 20 turns the barbarians already had ranged units, I didn't, was playing on epic, it was finishing and they already had like at least 3 warriors and a ranged unit, by turn 20 and I was surrounded by 3 encampments, so basically 3 melee and one ranged unit multiplied by 3 in just 20 turns, the only way I can produce so much units is using a time machine, so yeah, "git gud" is not making my game more enjoyable.

Ps. I edited the mod myself and made more balanced, increased the distance between encampments, disabled barbarian heals and gold steal, also decreased the % of technology they have. Now it's nice to play again without 3-5 encampments by turn 20.

Last edited:
Not lancers, but spearmans, juts a mistake, anyway I think it's unbalanced, just last game in 20 turns the barbarians already had ranged units, I didn't, was playing on epic, it was finishing and they already had like at least 3 warriors and a ranged unit, by turn 20 and I was surrounded by 3 encampments, so basically 3 melee and one ranged unit multiplied by 3 in just 20 turns, the only way I can produce so much units is using a time machine, so yeah, "git gud" is not making my game more enjoyable.

Ps. I edited the mod myself and made more balanced, increased the distance between encampments, disabled barbarian heals and gold steal, also made decreased the % of technology they have. Now it's nice to play again without 3-5 encampments by turn 20.

There is not always that much barbarians
Did u start tundra?

Ps. I edited the mod myself and made more balanced, increased the distance between encampments, disabled barbarian heals and gold steal, also decreased the % of technology they have. Now it's nice to play again without 3-5 encampments by turn 20.
You know? First time when Gazebo introduced the increased barb spamming (just letting them spam a little closer, barbs in camps can heal, and if you attack them they spam more barbs), we all got a few games of utter defeats. Now that we know what we face, it's much easier. Infrastructure develops slower since many resources have to be dedicated on defense, gold is tight. But it's the same for all civs, AI included, so it's not unfair. You just have a little more action in the early turns, and the Ancient Era lasts a little longer. It's been made easier for Authority starts and more difficult for Progress (the situation reverses as the game progresses).

Edit. Other interesting things about barbs. If they have horses nearby, they can spam horsemen, and they need iron nearby to spam swordsmen. If the world (the mean, I think) has a technology, the barbs have it too. So, as far as half the civs plus one have learned Hunting, barbs can spam archers.

Last edited:
If the world (the mean, I think) has a technology, the barbs have it too. So, as far as half the civs plus one have learned Hunting, barbs can spam archers.
It's not the mean, but 60% of all major. You can check a value of Barb_Tech_Percent in CoreDefine.sql. Not a big deal though.

I'm also getting earlier text key load error crashes than norm at about turn 200 with CBP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom