1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Version - October 9th (10/9)

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Gazebo, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Lenox1993

Lenox1993 Chieftain

Ok, those numbers seem to check out. Pretty mild improvement from policy in my opinion.
    The EUI still shows the wrong numbers though.
    And what about my question about tile culture cost?

2. Lenox1993

Lenox1993 Chieftain

On fifth tile beyond initial six, culture cost of aquiring new ones jumps from 215 to 75 with Tradition policy.Thats almost threefold.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  3. Navanod

Navanod Chieftain

I was also trying to figure out God of the Expanse calculation. I actually saw a lump sum jump in the border culture points of about 25% of the cost midway through accumulating culture for border growth

4. Navanod

Navanod Chieftain

Has anyone mentioned the early Stonehenge grab by the AI in this version?
    The only way I can get it is to have a lucky culture hut, followed by taking the progress opener to research pottery fast enough and then drop everything to build it before turn 24. Only succeeded once after a lucky production hut.

Dimmy likes this.
  5. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch

That's intentional. Stonehenge was never competitive for the AI.

Navanod likes this.
  6. Navanod

Navanod Chieftain

I think it really keeps the pressure up.
    This version really forced players to refine their approach to what they want. Trying to aim for everything is almost impossible at the start.
    Despite grabbing the Stonehenge at turn 24 by throwing everything at it, I ended up NOT founding a religion because 6 other AIs did it and I was still 9 turns behind to my GP. I loaded an earlier save and try to start a new city and built another shrine. That did the trick...

Dimmy likes this.
  7. code99

code99 Chieftain

Yeah the old early game "tactics" dont seem to work anymore. I also failed to found a religion or build the stonehenge, twice. Gotta try rushing a second city and build a shrine :)

8. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch

That's good! I felt that there was a little too much early game flexibility for humans, as the AI was not actively seeking out ancient/classical wonders or early religions as fiercely as it should.

9. tompliss

tompliss Chieftain

I also think that's a good thing.
    I'm used to play at Emperor/Immortal difficulty, but previously, when I played at Immortal, I felt like I "had" to build monument->Stonehenge to get a religion, in each game.

10. matlajs

matlajs Chieftain

its interesting that immortal players noticing finish of stonehenge on turn 25. In my Arabia game they also finished it on 25 but on King diff. Anyway im going to pre-quit that game and jump into new version, since it became too easy. I am only founder on our island with 6 civs(including me) and have Sainthood, so i have ,,double UA'' now. Interresting is, that 4/5 games i got India in, they always faill to found religion and i noticed few times that they pick absolutely irrelevant pantheon regarding resources and terrain arround. however, i have to say that replacement of UU for Askia is key for him now. He is bulldozer, wiped out Japan(even in medieval with dojos already up), curently wiping Brazilians and rly succesfully in renaisance and next will be i suppose Gandhi, bcoz i have with Askia just a green relation(but he is bastard)

11. Forsti

Forsti Chieftain

Have you tried to play as Gandhi? Trying it really shows that he doesn't get a big advantage towards religion compared to others. While he gets to pick a pantheon some 30 turns before others, most pantheons either give yields from buildings that are unlocked at the start or require workers to improve a resource that can even be invisible at the start of the game. It is really hard to make a good choice on pantheon that early and there are only few safe choices.

12. matlajs

matlajs Chieftain

yep i thought about that. i just point that would be safer for him pick something terrain related than resource related but anyway, whatever he pick, except plantation one, he should still profit with any pnatheon longer than the others with right focus. i just mentioned that like curiosity.

13. tu_79

tu_79 Warlord

I don't know how Gandhi picks a pantheon, but should I be him, I'd take something along the lines of Ancestor worship (for the faith on population) or that other that granted faith with every new citizen, because the only safe thing I can think of India in turn 1 is that the population will grow fast. Even then, I'd prioritize shrines.

Gamewizard likes this.
  14. matlajs

matlajs Chieftain

i rly couldnt stop laugh when i discovered this :D :D look how Montezuma doesnt like his votes :D xD.png

Dimmy likes this.
  15. tu_79

tu_79 Warlord

Hilarious, I agree. Minor issue, probably as a result of more aggressive AI citadels. He cannot even work the tile!!

16. Lenox1993

Lenox1993 Chieftain

What would you say is the "optimal" amount of cities? When does the cost outweight the benefit? And how first 3 policy trees affect this number(does much much wider empire pays of with Progress)?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  17. Lenox1993

Lenox1993 Chieftain

I know that the biggest(if not only) advantage of wide empire is production, but is it still possible to not fail completely in culture and tech with wide Progress empire against a tall empire with Tradition?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  18. tu_79

tu_79 Warlord

The bare minimum, not being Venice, is three cities, in order to maximize guilds. Then, more cities means better access to resources, more production, bigger army and more diplomats. Almost any city ends up paying itself for the extra science and culture cost, the question is how many turns will it take. Which in turn translates to the question of when is your 'golden moment' going to happen (this few turns when you grab the chance of winning). The game is quite balanced, so you can have 3 or 23 cities and win evenly.

Tradition will help you more when expanding slowly, Progress if you expand fast (settlers before infrastructure) and Authority if you expand faster (over other people's land). You can achieve any kind of victory with all of them, but Authority asks for continued fights (or miss science and culture), which fits more with a domination victory. Tradition has a good start, helps with wonders but it shines later, as great people stocks and big population accounts. Progress starts are difficult, but once your empire is running, it gives a steady yield flow. Authority lacks some science, but as long as you have some foes to fight, it yields more than the other policies. Alternatively, you can pick policies from more than one tree, you'll miss the bonus for finishing a tree and the chance for a wonder, but can pick policies with more sinergy.

19. Lenox1993

Lenox1993 Chieftain

That's very helpful.Thank you.

20. Lenox1993

Lenox1993 Chieftain

It's a question not related to civ, but why is auto-correct marks all words with red? I'm new to this whole comment writing thing.