1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

new wonder,terrorist headquarters..

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Graphics Modpacks' started by Juka The Dumb, Dec 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rifleman

rifleman Varangian Guard

HEY.

Listen, despite the fact that there are people from all over on this site, this isn't the UN - we don't have to try to solve the world's problems or mend any international fences here. We're all here because we like this game. The Terrorist Camp Wonder idea may seem tasteless on face (especially to anyone personally touched by the events of late), but it is a workable idea, and this IS just a game. If people like the idea, they'll use it, and that doesn't have to effect anyone who is offended by it.

But too many of us are taking this WAY too seriously, and neither Alpha Infantry's hurt feelings, varwnos' analysis and judgement, SoG's proselytizing nor aracuan's conclusions are helping anything.

I suggest we drop this OT before it snow-balls anymore.

2. hIdDeN_eViL

hIdDeN_eViL {кοтоя дѕѕαѕѕїй}²

i second that rifleman,
    this is getting off-topic and very political
    and even though i like political arguements NOT WHEN I'M THINKING ABOUT HOW TO IMPROVE CIV!!!!!!!! :mad:

so lets just drop it...

3. DJ Bonebraker

DJ Bonebraker a.k.a Laura

Juka, you wouldn't happen to have a larger version of the second splash you posted? Otherwise, even though I could attempt to re-center the one you posted, it aint gonna be too purty.

4. Corey

Corey Djeneral

Ofcourse the forgot that they bombarded us.90% of Americans on this forum doesn't know where's Serbia.

5. hIdDeN_eViL

hIdDeN_eViL {кοтоя дѕѕαѕѕїй}²

JUST DROP IT!!!

6. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

I bet some even think that Greece is an island :D
    But in reality it is a mountain series, on Mars.

7. aracuan

aracuan Chieftain

DO U KNOW AND SOMETHING ELSE?????

DO U KNOW THAT THE COUNTLESS BOMBS U AMERICANS SMARTASES DROP IN SERBIA WERE FILLED WITH PLUTONIUM FILLING,GHARGE SO THAT CREATE BIGGER EXPLOSION RESULTS?????
    AND THEREFORE SOME CHILDREN THERE AND IN GREECE ARE GET BORN WITH PROBLEMS LIKE THE HIROSHIMA AND NAGASAGI EFFECTS????????????
    DO U KNOW HOW MANY SOLDIERS OF GREECE AND SERBIA AND ALL THE COUNTRIES THAT SENT TROOPS AS UN FORCE HAVE CANCER AND THEY DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE???????????????
    SO deleted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ALL AMERICANS SHOULD BE ASHAMED FOR THE CRIMES THEY HAVE COMMITED WORLDWIDE.
    HAVE U HEARD ABOUT THE PROBLEMS BETWEEN GREEKS AND TURKS?????
    CAN U GUESS "WHO"IS PUTTING TURKS DEMANDING TAKE OUR ISLANDS AS THEIRS??????????
    AND THEY ALMOST BROUGHT THESE 2 COUNTRIES CLOSE TO WAR,JUST TO SALE THEIR WEAPONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ONCE AGAIN I LIKE WHAT WAS HAPPENED IN WORLD TRADE CENTER,CAUSE THEY HURT AMERICAN SELFISM.

Moderator Action: 7 days for flaming.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

8. DJ Bonebraker

Statement retracted, due to unprofessional and discourteous content.

9. odintheking

odintheking Lighting the way...

Has this thread really gotten to this? aracuan, even if I find your sadistic view on the world trade center bombings appaling, I'm not going to chide you or cuss you out. But please have the common courtousy to leave your flaming political views at CDG or anywhere else but here. This thread was not mean to offend anyone, so I believe that it would be wise for everyone to stop arguing about terrorism on both sides of the Atlantic and either make comments about Juka's graphics or take a hike. I hear enough of this deleted in the real world, I don't want to hear it in the fictional world that is Civ III as well.
    BTW- These are great graphics, Juka. Although the splash could be different...

Moderator Action: Warned for language.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

10. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

Moderator Action: Let's get this thread back on topic without getting too political. aracuan and Hikaro Takayama have been banned for flaming, and odintheking warned for language.

11. Straczynski

Straczynski Bolshevik Nerd

The US is hated because it's government has done (and does) hateful things. Simply as that.

Sorry, had to drop my two cents here. :)

12. odintheking

odintheking Lighting the way...

Sorry about the language thing, but I was sick about this thread going off topic. Juka's work is great, and I hate when threads go off topic like this, that's all I meant to say.

13. REJS7

REJS7 The silence that stalks

Here is a pragmatic compromise to the wonder:
    Let all the developed countries develop the Intelligence agency and let undeveloped countries develop the terrorist HQ as a consequence. That way incompetant spies can pretend they are actually useful and doing a go job. The effects could be to produce a suicide bomber every 5 turns (similar to the Kamiazee) that could be upgrade to the Nuke suicide bomber and also reduce propoganda.
    Lest anyone forget those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it. At the end of the day the whole American imperial philosophy is based around a self centred desire to be surround with like minded democratic stated. Those who get caught in the cross fire suffer without knowing the reason why.
    I am a historian and am knowledgable in 20th century history. America has always been self centred in its foreign policy. Ever since it's post issolationist hietist in WW2 the good ol' US of A has messed up in foreign policy due to a desire to stop anyone pearl harbouring them again. Then came 9/11 - only this time there was no European war to get involved in; and baby Bush had to invent a way to kick some less developed ass.:mad:
    Obviously America merits every human emmotion depending on your map of the world, but Americans themselves must take responsibillty for voting in a ragime that is selfish and unhumane (Kyoto anyone?) I have no interest in seeing America fall, rather I want American's to realise the time of selfish indulgance is over and that this is just a game after all.
    If you wish to play real politik through CIV3 then you will have to make a very unbalanced game where the only way to defeat America is to bring it down in flames. :sad:

14. CivArmy s. 1994

CivArmy s. 1994 Chieftain

Juka, congratulations, another great wonder!!! :goodjob: I'd like to suggest a new wonder: The State Terrorist, maybe that ship launching the missile could fit like wonder splash. Just don't put flags or famous leaders in the terrorist wonders, cos it could create confusion and rebbelions ;)
    BTW, the wonder of the year is yours, it is that one the uses a "funny horse in wonder splash" (can't speak the wonder name, cos this thread could be closed :( )

--------------------------

My comment about the off-topic: it is sad that it happens, but if someone starts, people will post back and them pages and pages of off-topics :sad: It happened in my Bush LH and happened here. Maybe the moderators could act in this case, not closing threats, but deleting the off-topics and advising the posters. :)
    PS: I'm waiting the things calm down to continue my Bush LH and in other thread (I want delete this old one full of off-topics)

---------------------------

Last comment: if I'm doing Bush LH and Junka did this terrorist wonder it doesn't mean necessary that I am a Bush fan or Junka supports terrorists, people have to understand this ;)

15. DJ Bonebraker

Here's my completely non-political take on this:

Why not, instead of just a mid-east type terrorist camp, make this culture group specific. For example: I could convert the "Hand of Nod" from C&C (the original one) for Euro/Med terrorist camp, I could come up with a group of shacks (ala various US rebel militia groups or FARC) for American/SA terrorist camps, and some kind of Viet-Cong style east asian terrorist camp.

For the splash, I could probably dig up a generic (hopefuly) non-offensive picture of a "mad bomber" (or even an evil midnight bomber who bombs at midnight-yeah,baby! Yeah![The Tick reference, for those who didn't get it]) for use as the splash. That way we could keep politics, nationalism, and the inherent problems that come with them out of the picture.

If anyone would be interested, I could see about coming up with such graphics.

16. DANGERBOY

DANGERBOY SCAdian Fencer

That is the type of thinking I like to see, Hikaro. Make it non-culture specific, and it's something I'm interested in.

17. DJ Bonebraker

Well, I think I have an old copy of C&C (as well as a graphics editing program for said game), so I could convert that easy enough for the Euro/Med terrorist camp. Do you know where I could find some tin-roofed shacks for the US/American terrorist camps? (I've been to some of the poorest places in the US as well as Mexico, and aside from the surrounding vegetation, the run-down shacks that the people lived in were almost identical, not to mention that I've run into my share of anti-government militia members in both places as well). I think someone did some Asian type goody-huts that I could convert for the East-Asian Terrorist camp. I'll do this a bit later (once I've gathered the necesary graphics), since I'm in the middle of a big unit project right now.

18. REJS7

How about using the Barbariabn's as terorists in the modern age? Surely this would make the player do everything in their power to get rid of them (but failing because the moment they die another one reappear aka every terrorist organisation in the world).

Or you could do a scenario where the west has lots of expensive tech but the less developed world has lots of cheap, expendable, units.

19. REJS7

ARACUAN, my friend, you are a under the erronious impression that by being vitriolic you will succeed in promoting your views. At the end of the day, if you continue to flout the rules this post (and dare I say any you get involved in) may be taken off the site due to you. You are not being fair, you are not being resonable (and before you start saying that the U.S. hasn't been that is not the issue) to you fellow forum posters. Be a man and stand down, for you may win the battle but you will surely loose the war.

I find it distainful that Yeugoslav aggression went unpunished for so long, I also find it distastful that the U.S. used depleted nuclear weapons at all. This is neither the time nor the place to bang you drum for every one will turn their backs on YOU! :hammer:

20. Manny Kant

Manny Kant Metaphysician

It still doesn't seem like something I would want to put in my games. If there were a way that it could come with re-spawning (i.e., the civ has been displaced from its claimed land and can only wage a "hidden" war without risking total destruction...this seems more fitting the IRA and PLO's need to fight unconventional wars in their respective, um, struggles), but I don't know if that is possible in the mechanics of the game. :confused:
    As for it being for less advanced civs...what happens when that changes (the civ with this wonder becomes more advanced than one with a regular Intelligence Agency)? I wouldn't want to make it that specific anyway, as it seems that all culture groups have instances of this type of, um, resistance.

[And, risking the ire of all for being off-topic, the American stereotype that fits me is that I am literate in one language, despite my best efforts to learn more. But that is about it. I would hate to think that my fellow players in South America, Europe, Africa, Australia, and Asia would hold anything else against me (or anyone else) just because of their home nation.]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.