1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New World Deluxe and the Inca DLC

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Homusubi, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Homusubi

Homusubi Lafcadio Hearn Wannabe

When Firaxis announced the Conquest of the New World Deluxe scenario, they only mentioned that BNW was required - not the Inca DLC (or G&K, so probably no Dutch). This could mean one of three things.

-It's an oversight by Firaxis, and they won't give away the scenario to BNW players without the Inca DLC;
    -Inca won't be in the scenario, leaving South America entirely empty (Brazil didn't exist at the time);
    -Firaxis are giving away the civ.

Any ideas as to what they're going to do?

2. Rob (R8XFT)

Rob (R8XFT) Ancient Briton Super Moderator

It's a great point - and one would wonder (almost) the point of the Spain + Inca pack if the Inca were given away with the DLC - except, I suppose to people without BNW.

One thing that *might* happen is that the Inca might be an optional civ in the scenario based on whether or not you have the DLC. There often seems to be learning points Firaxis provide to modders in the scenarios and the learning point this time may just be how to create a mod or scenario which features core civs/units/buildings/wonders and allows others to come into play if the player has the particular DLC.

3. DemonMaster

DemonMaster A.K.A. Fenhorn

Perhaps they include some civs for this scenario only. Isn't Ethiopia in SfA regardless if you have G&K or not (?).

4. Homusubi

Would that mean that South America would be empty for people without the DLC?

@Demonmaster: Ethiopia is in the main BNW game as well, similar to how Spain is both a DLC and free with G&K.

5. Scirocco16V

Scirocco16V Warlord

Inca might be playable only in the scenario, but not anywhere else unless you buy the old dlc. Similar to some of the unique civs that are in wonders of the ancient world that can't be played elsewhere.

6. Homusubi

If they did that, then the amount of time that the DLC would be released for before a modder rendered the Inca DLC irrelevant would be about three seconds.

It is entirely possible, for instance, to extract the Manchu civ from Samurai Invasion of Korea to play on normal maps, providing the player has the Korea DLC. Considering this new scenario DLC is free, it would be business suicide on Firaxis's part.

7. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Another possibility is that maybe the map only covers Central America and so the Incans aren't included and instead only the Aztecs and Spain.
    (Mayan civ already destroyed centuries before Columbus as well)

8. True_Candyman

True_Candyman Emperor

From what i remember of the original scenario, the new world was completely randomised, even the coast lines and starting locations of the civs.

So really, it doesn't matter that "South America" is empty, because the South America in the scenario could be 2/3rds of the map and have the Aztecs, Mayans, and Iroquois in it.

Unless I'm really out of touch and they are changing the scenario completely for the deluxe version...

9. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

Classical Maya that is, the Mayans of the time had gone through a feudalization process, cities still existed but were tiny compared to the classical metropolis. Those feudal lords were organized enough that they proved to be really hard to conquer by the Spanish, even more so to pacify them.

The Maya should make it to the Delux scenario.

10. Viregel

Viregel , The Rt. Hon.

Perhaps the Inca will be in depending on if you have the DLC or not? Just a thought.

11. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I would imagine that it will incorporate the new random interiors map script. Beyond that, I don't know.

12. otaman1

otaman1 Prince

Wait. Will those who owns Conquest of the New World still get the deluxe version if they don't own Brave New World?

13. Scirocco16V

Scirocco16V Warlord

Doesn't sound like it.

14. Homusubi

Which indicates that the scenario will feature BNW civs. Read: Portugal and Shoshone - the other seven are irrelevant in the scenario, unless Civ history strikes again and the Zulus conquer the Americas.

15. Scirocco16V

Scirocco16V Warlord

I think it has more to do with mechanics added in BNW, specifically trade routes, than civs.

I do expect Portugal & Shoshone to be in it, but I also expect Maya and Netherlands to be in it also.

16. Homusubi

It doesn't require G&K. Besides, the Maya come from the wrong time period and the Netherlands expanded east, not west.

17. True_Candyman

True_Candyman Emperor

The Maya were still around as stated above, and the Netherlands controlled a large portion of the Caribbean, a slice of South America and founded New York in their North America territories. They were as colonial as anyone in their time and entirely appropriate to include in this scenario.

18. True_Candyman

True_Candyman Emperor

They would have to change the rules for the scenario if that was the case though because part of the challenge was to find the route to China, which meant entirely random continent shapes. Not that that isn't possible, but I haven't heard anything about the fundamentals of the scenario being changed, and that was quite a fun bit to be honest.

Also, sorry for the double post!

19. Scirocco16V

Scirocco16V Warlord

I've been wondering about these things too. Will they use the original scenario new world generation or the scrambled continents generation?
    What exactly are they changing? They haven't told us anything about the scenario other than that it exists, what it's named, and how to get it. We can assume it'll include trade routes, but no one knows. Will it include religion? Will it make some use of ideologies? It might be interesting to have 1 ideology for europeans and another for native americans. What civs will be included?

I agree that substituting the scrambled continents world generation into the original scenario without any other changes would make it less fun, not more.

20. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Actually Spain, Inca, Maya and Netherlands woull ALL be excluded if BNW is the only requirement.

Spain is only available for God and Kings or the Double civ pack.