1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New world map - upscaled Europe

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Pre-made Maps' started by RobSoyka, Nov 4, 2005.

1. RobSoyka

RobSoyka Chieftain

New Map, based on Rhye's Map

Changes:

-Europe has been upscaled a little bit, so there is now enough Space for some citys for each of the european civilisations.

-Europe is now much more detailed. Rivers, mountain ridges are on the correct place now.

-Some minor changes on other continents as well

All civilisations start with
    -One City or one Settler
    -One Warrior
    -One worker
    -One scout

Would be a good base for europe-centered global scenarios like World War I or World War II

Screenshot: Western Part of Europe. City names are just for the screenshot for better imagination.

Attached Files:

2. RobSoyka

RobSoyka Chieftain

-Here is the download, Version II

Version II
    -Civs have now english names instead of german ones. Please inform me in case of misspelling.
    -Southern Tip of South America ( Argentina an Chile ) is now manly tundra, but patagonia between Fireland and Pampa is still desert ( As in real world, according to my maps. )
    -Territory of China improved: more details, better reflection of mountain ridges, Rivers...

Version III

-Much more Resources on italian peninsula, greece and balcans
    ( Giving them a better start )
    -More Resources in Europe, especialy stone and marble
    -French Civ is now french not französisch, King is Louis not Ludwig
    -Relocated chinese starting loacation one tile eastwards
    -More Silk and dye in china

Version IV
    -Corrected all translations
    -Ended Starting Contact between Empires

Attached Files:

3. I am the Future

I am the Future Oi Oi Oi !!!

Screenie PLease?

4. Ghost

Ghost Warlord

sound awsome thanks but how big is it?

5. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

Great map!! I don´t know why Rhye didn´t do it like this one!!

I only have a few complaints:

- All the civ´s are in german!!
    - The Patagonia, America´s sourthern tip, it is not desert, but tundra instead!
    - And I think Scandinavia´s south part and Europe shouldn´t connect...

Anyway, these are very small issues for me, but the map is uber-great!!!

6. BulMaster

BulMaster Chieftain

Hehe way too many reichs, good map as soon as I finish rhye's will give that one a go. Looks good in the builder. Then again i might wait for the patch to fix my epic game crashes in later eras ...

7. RobSoyka

RobSoyka Chieftain

@Elhoim
    I only have a few complaints:

- All the civ´s are in german!!
    Oh, Sorry, did not know you get the Civ names from my german version...
    I will change this.

- The Patagonia, America´s sourthern tip, it is not desert, but tundra instead!
    Yes, you are right. I did not do much autside Europe, North Asia ( Siberia is now mainly tundra instead of Grasland ) and North-America. Will be changed.

- And I think Scandinavia´s south part and Europe shouldn´t connect...

Ideas behind this:
    1. If someone builds a city on the danish peninsula or southern tip of Scandinavia, he/she controles the entrace to baltic sea. Same is for Istanbul and the black sea.

2. The land bridge allows german AI or player to settle Scandinavia. Berlin is not situated at the coast, so it cant build ships. Else it is often settled by the russians, which are forced to settle more eastwards that way. At least I hope so...

But you can open the baltic sea within a few seconds with the world builder.

8. Corey

Corey Djeneral

tnx for the fix!I'll give it a try now.

9. DeadZoneMDx

DeadZoneMDx Chieftain

Possible for someone to post a screenie please?

10. annfinnt

annfinnt Chieftain

Hay,

How come that when I play one of these user created maps; starting a user-created map rearly works, my PC slows down and loading the game again does not work.

But when I play a normal game, with some map that was shipped with the org. game, it works great, no problems...

Known bug or?

Please help! :cry:

11. RobSoyka

RobSoyka Chieftain

These maps are huge. may be your computer cant handle them...

I have got 2400 MHz, 1000 MB RAM and the PC needs About a minute to switch from Isometric view to global view...

One more screenshot: Eastern Part of "what could become USA one day"

Attached Files:

12. Stormbringer

Stormbringer The Brick and The Rose

Ok, so maybe I will get an answer here since I seem to have been ignored in the other thread: Is there any way to play a multiplayer game on this map, like a hot seat game?

13. abj9562

abj9562 Warlord

14. DeadZoneMDx

DeadZoneMDx Chieftain

Should be able too, dont see why not (though not tried MP in Civ4), make sure other players have the map as well (to be safe)

15. annfinnt

annfinnt Chieftain

Its not that... My PC crashes when I load every user-made maps/mods, but not when I load the ones that comes with the game, those pre-made maps. Nor the random maps ingame. :(

16. RobSoyka

RobSoyka Chieftain

Never had problems loading user maps. May bee some incompatibility with some drivers, Hardware ... whatsoever. May be a case for the bug reporting?
    Unfortunatly I can not help you. I'am not a computer nerd :borg:, just a german student of geography :coffee:

"Your maps are both right and wrong. The area is arid like a desert but frigid as in tundra. Since civIV does not have an arid and frozen desert use what you think. The Gobi desert in Asia is much the same. "

Yes, temperature is not very well modelled in CIV IV. There is even no destinction between
    temperated grassland ( with cold winters ) and savannah...
    Just "Wet" = Grasland, "semiarid" = Plains/Steppe and "Arid"=Desert
    So Berlin has same kind of Terrain as Lagos or Manila.

@Multi player
    I also dont know how to use these maps in multy player. Would realy like to know how to import them to multi player mod.

17. BulMaster

BulMaster Chieftain

Click new scenario instead of new game. The map has to be in the world builder folder in saves, atleast that's where it is for me and that way it will appear on the list of scenarios. Bear in mind that you will send the map to everyone who joins the game. So if you don't want to generate useless upload pick the people before starting the game or something.

Edit: Also unless you want to play with 18 players you will need to edit the map in world builder to fix the number of civs and maybe the starting locations. If you decide to have 6 people and all pick european civs, this could lead to interesting colonial warfare to say the least.

18. jayho

jayho Chieftain

Thanks for your great work! Being a Chinese, I especially appreciate the changes u have made for the Chinese region. There is just one problem: I have modified the color for all the nations (under the folder Civilization 4\Assets\XML\Civilizations\CIV4CivilizationInfos) and it works well with any other scenarios except for this one (each nation's color is different from what I preset). Do u know why and how to fix that? Thanks.

19. Qienchi

Qienchi Chieftain

I'm not sure if this is what you want, but if you open the file using a notepad, you will see that each civilization will have an entry

BeginPlayer
    Color=PLAYERCOLOR_PURPLE (for example)
    EndPlayer

You can try changing those I guess.

20. Qienchi

Qienchi Chieftain

I'd like to add that the map has MaxTurns set to 430 so if you play an epic game, the game will end around 1750 ish. Epic mode has 650 turns as opposed to Normal mode's 430 turns. I finally played a game that was competitive enough until the 1600s when I got the 100 turns left message :mad:

having said that ... thanks a lot for the map, I haven't played any random map since I tried this one :).

What do people think about map balance and all? I feel (unsure though) that this map has a lot less resources than the standard Earth one, so civs with lots of space to expand tend to dominate (Russia, Persia, China/India), while the Europeans one always stay at the bottom (especially poor Greek). Then again I don't know if adding resources in Europe would help this in any way (but hey, historically Europe was pretty damn backward pre-renaissance compared to the rest of the world).

I played one game which I thought was reasonably balanced with only England, Germany, Spain and Greek in Europe. (Greek got squashed still - I think it's a problem with their starting city)