1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] New World Wonders in Gathering Storm

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Nov 27, 2018.

1. bite

bite Unofficial Civilization Cartographer Moderator

So far we have the Golden Gate Bridge, probably The Panama Canal, and an unknown temple, but what else do you think will make up the World Wonder list

I would like to see the Discovery Rover and of course this is a good time for my annual plug to add in The Dish

2. Josephias

Josephias King

Some Dutch dike was mentioned (the one that appears in the trailer), with rising sea levels, it is a good contender.

And it would be a shame if they do not use the Gathering Storm title to re-introduce the Statue of Zeus.

Volcanoes will be covered mostly by natural wonders, I think, but floods and power are asking for a Dam wonder clearly (Hoover? Three Gorges? Asuan?)

agonistes, CPWimmer and bite like this.
  3. ExtremeGardens

ExtremeGardens Chieftain

I'd like to see Machu Picchu again. Since military engineers can probably enter mountain tiles (to build tunnels), ski resorts can be built on mountain tiles, a wonder on mountain tiles is not so far-fetched (And move Potala Palace onto a mountain, while we're at it).

WorldWarIV likes this.
  4. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

Machu Picchu is a good contender and Three Gorges Dam would make a lot of sense to bring back.

WorldWarIV and bite like this.
  5. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

The Potala is not on a mountain in real life though. It's a small hill, maybe 60 meters high above the valley floor. The current placement rules fit that situation perfectly.

I think a dam wonder is a very good idea. Maybe we've already seen it, since we know two different dam graphics. I do hope for an early 20th century dam, due to it being more usable in game that way. That eliminates the Three Gorges Dam and points towards the Hoover or (old) Aswan Dam. If it is the latter, hopefully there is a requirement that the river has to be at least 5 tiles long.

Oosterscheldekering is a good idea as well, both for mechanics and because of the trailer.

I doubt we'll see too many pre-industrial wonders, maybe one, at most two. Maybe a futuristic one that lowers CO2 levels worldwide? And maybe the World Congress is also a buildable wonder again?

Phoenix1595 likes this.
  6. Nabunaid

Nabunaid Chieftain

Wonders to connect mountains like Neuschwanstein or Macchu Picchu would be great!

7. ExtremeGardens

ExtremeGardens Chieftain

@Siptah You’re right! I can see it now that I look at pictures of it carefully.

I guess the World Congress/United Nations would grant diplomatic favors per turn if it’s a buildable wonder (maybe through collaborative project?)

8. Pietato

Pietato Emperor

I hope we see the L&P statue from Paeroa, when they Māori are introduced.

9. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Hoover/Boulder *cough*. I am biased since it is so near my house. :) I loved it being in Civ2.

GoatsHeadSoup and UncivilizedGuy like this.
  10. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

I'm randomly calling Reichstagbuilding.

I guess it could fit with diplomacy?

11. Harlequeen

Harlequeen Chieftain

Was one of my favourite wonders in Civ2/3 "Free powerplants for everone. You get a powerplant! You get a powerplant!"

ExtremeGardens and WillowBrook like this.
  12. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

They need to get in all of the World Wonders that have historically been recognized as the "Seven Wonders of the Ancient World," you know, the ones the game concept is named after. They should actually be the first ones in every iteration of Civ. This has always struck me as odd.

13. Harlequeen

Harlequeen Chieftain

I don't see how it would work. But the First Transcontinental Railroad (or the Russian equivalent) would be interesting.

14. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

Statue of Zeus: All religious units gain strength in theological combat (because lightning comes out from the sky). Maybe something to do with the World Games as well later or gain diplomatic favors early since it was built at Olympia.

A Dam wonder would make since. Hoover Dam would be nice or the Aswan Dam making it thematic being on the Nile.

I believe that Dutch floodgate might be the inspiration for the regular floodgates that you can build and may not be a wonder.

As for Machu Picchu I have a funny feeling it wont be a wonder but be the inspiration for the unique Inca palace.

15. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Me, too! It would be OP to have the same effect in VI, but perhaps it would power every city in, say, a nine-tile radius.

16. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

What's missing from the "definitive pop culture seven wonders of the ancient world list" is the Olympian Zeus. I'm not sure how it would be done best in civ VI anyway, since it is indoors. Frankly, while maybe the most artistically relevant and influential of all those 7 wonders, I can do without it (and the Hanging Gardens). Similarly to the Sixtina, it could be made a Great Work of Art instead.

SammyKhalifa likes this.
  17. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Yeah I get that, but it seems incomplete to me without it.

Alexander's Hetaroi likes this.
  18. Xandinho

Xandinho Emperor

Machu Picchu was featured in the trailer and in the art of Gathering Storm, I would be disappointed if this is not a wonder.

The Statue of Zeus is the only missing wonder of the 7 wonders of the ancient world.

Perhaps we have an African wonder, some guess? Since Mali is in the game, I would like the Great Mosque of Djenne again.

19. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

I prefer the Lalibela churches, especially since Ethiopia won't make the cut (if the leaks are correct) and they haven't appeared in civ as of yet.

Xandinho and altayrneto like this.
  20. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

It's not a dike, a dike is a wall of (typically) earth to keep water out of a lower piece of land, typically a polder. The Oosterscheldekering is a (very advanced) dam to keep the high tide of a storm out of the estuary of the Oosterschelde.

A dike for reference:
    Spoiler :

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Terminology guys!

A floodgate is a gate, typically in a river, though it can also be found in canals and the like, which can be opened to change water levels; this causes a flood in the lower areas, hence it's name. They're also very common (if not always present) with dams to allow for better control of the water level in the reservoir.