1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] New World Wonders in Gathering Storm

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Isengardtom

Isengardtom Warlord

Could it just be the group of monuments at Hampi?

2. Caesar Augustus 27 BC

Caesar Augustus 27 BC Chieftain

I think Cardiff will probably replace Toronto. Toronto gives industrial zones and entertainment complexes extra range and Wales is known for its industrial history. Mexico less so until recently honestly, I think Mexico City will have its own bonus.

3. Steamboat Willem

Steamboat Willem Warlord

Toronto's bonus is pretty marginal now that you can no longer have the benefit of multiple IZS, I wouldn't mind it being replaced. Or just go back to the original design and up the production costs. It's not like there aren't other overpowered city states.

4. bite

bite Unoffical Civilization Geographer Moderator

5. local_hero

local_hero Prince

I realised that we have few militaristic wonders in the game. I suppose I'd class the Venetian Arsenal, the Alhambra and The Terracotta Army as such. I don't play archipelago maps, but the Great Lighthouse could also be seen as a militaristic/exploration wonder and not purely a militaristic one.

The Panama Canal can be useful for your navy, but not really militaristic. So no militaristic wonders in this expansion looks likely. But to ask a few questions.

- Do we have a good amount of militaristic wonders in the game?
    - Is it intentional to not have more?

Some speculations regarding the second question: It might be due to balance reasons? Increased city health/strength and combat bonus towards cities are two wonder bonuses from Civ 5 that hasn't survived in any form to civ 6. Would that be too good in civ 6?

6. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

We have a pretty good grasp on the wonders now and so far as can be seen, there are no militaristic ones. I was surprised too.

Golden Gate Bridge - cultural, some utilitarian applications

Great Bath - some people have said amenities. I don't recall the screenshot on that, also prevents drought damage

Machu Picchu - general district benefits

Orszaghaz - diplomatic

Panama Canal - utilitarian and trade

University of Sankore - trade/science

"Civil Service Temple" - unknown, probably not military

7. Ondolindë

Ondolindë Emperor

I really don't think that the game needs more help militaristically. I know that not every civ we already have and has been announced are strong for domination (it is true that every civ needs to defend itself and survive at some point, especially at higher difficulties), but the game as a whole benefits domination, so I think, thus far, it is intentional and I am glad for it. That is the reason why we are getting a new and very non militaristic victory type. Also let's consider that we have to fend for ourselves against nature now, as the new random enemy, which requires a different strategy and more things to consider. I think their intentional non militaristic improvements to the game in GS adds more variety, spice and gives us peaceful players other very fun and interesting options. I love that. I think it is a way to balance things a bit.

local_hero likes this.
  8. local_hero

local_hero Prince

Yeah, exactly. Didn't dare to rule out that the last one can be militaristic.

Of course, there are a few militaristic suzerain bonuses in the game too. That might have decreased the need for militaristic wonders now that I think of it.

9. Eagle Pursuit

Okay, we have some details on the Great Bath now. It's a Flooding prevention wonder with housing and amenities.

10. Steamboat Willem

Steamboat Willem Warlord

Militaristic wonders aren't really interesting for game play. They have to be fairly obviously worth building, otherwise you better use your cogs for more units, which will be finished earlier and don't carry the risk that someone else beats you to them.

11. Jewman

Jewman Prince

Terracota is pretty cool, but mostly cuz of the archaeological bonus later. I wouldn't mind if another militaristic wonder if it has a cool tangential bonus like terracota and archaeologist. I will agree that it seems unlikely that the temple at civil service is militaristic although there is the possibility that it provides some synergy between faith and military, not that needs any more synergy.

12. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

So the final unrevealed wonder is that South Indian temple thing?

13. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

Best bet is the Sri Meenakshi Amman temple in Madurai, India.

Some comparison pictures:
    Spoiler :

14. Eagle Pursuit

I wonder what it does. I was reading up on it. In some traditions, Meenakshi was a mortal woman who conquered the whole world, became a goddess and married Shiva, ruling the earth from the temple.

Mostly though, rites revolve around marriage and women being an important part of Tamil social order.

Another theme seems to be about how the temple is repeatedly destroyed by war and rebuilt.

It doesn't really speak to any specific bonuses.

Zaarin likes this.
  15. Alexadamz

Alexadamz Warlord

Maybe some other disasters' related Wonder? The Great Bath is against floods.

16. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Well... the idea is good gameplay-wise, but I wouldn‘t want a temple holding off storms from my territory or something like that. It feels wrong somehow... I mean holding off floods has a non-supernatural counterpart, so I can live with the Great Bath doing that (I just don‘t understand why it does that). But the other disasters?

17. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Maybe it doesn't hold them off but gives culture (or faith, or money, or something else) when/if they happen, or lets you rebuild faster or something.

Siptah likes this.
  18. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Bonus to faith and food? It's boring, but...

19. Eagle Pursuit

Maybe it gives you free gurus.