[R&F] New Years Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not familiar with Native American art so please excuse my ignorance. The drawing of the Bison looks strange. I wouldn't have picked it as such without reading the comments here. Is this a depiction of how the Cree would have drawn the animal? If not why is it drawn like this?

I am not familiar with Native American art so please excuse my ignorance. The drawing of the Bison looks strange. I wouldn't have picked it as such without reading the comments here. Is this a depiction of how the Cree would have drawn the animal? If not why is it drawn like this?

It was a bit odd. The horns and neck were very bison, but the haunches were too big and the tail too substantial and bent strangely.

While I'm not too interested in the geographical cultural area the Cree are in (Subarctic, and perhaps the northern Great Plains)
The Subarctic is actually a pretty interesting culture area, and one that a lot of people probably aren't too familiar with. Aside from the Cree and some Ojibwa, it's chiefly populated by Na-Dene Athabascan speakers. Their culture in some ways resembles a simplified form of PNW culture (which is perhaps unsurprising, given that the Tlingit, who are also Na-Dene, are probably along with the unrelated Haida the PNW civ par excellence--some Athabaskans also inhabit the southern PNW). This doesn't exactly apply to the Cree, who are far closer to other Algonquian peoples of the region (especially the Ojibwa and Anishinaabe) than the Athabaskans; but they did trade and intermarry with the Athabaskans, so some of that cultural influence is there.

It's a strange depiction, no doubt. Cave art is more of a Stone Age European thing, so I have no idea what the artist was shooting for there.

The bison has a strange grin. :eek: I wouldn't want to be near it.

I don't think the Netherlands talk show was a leak.

I for one hope there are more leaks; I hate surprises. :p

I agree, I would rather know, although it is more exciting when they gradually tell us one civ/leader at a time.

If the Cree weren't leaked, I would have guessed some Plains Indian tribe like the Sioux (based on the peacepipe and buffalo pound), but the goose decoys would've confused me.

While I'm not too interested in the geographical cultural area the Cree are in (Subarctic, and perhaps the northern Great Plains), I'm glad Firaxis has decided to put at least one Amerindian Civ north of the Aztecs. TPangolin's Colonialist Legacies created a Cree mod led by Poundmaker. It would be funny if he's the leader. I'm sure Colonialist Legacies Australia mod inspired Firaxis to create an official Australia Civ.

I'm also hoping they will still add the Iroquois, a personal favourite of mine. Maya and Inca really should be in the game too, so I'm holding my breath to see them, and I think there is still a good chance we will see the Maya at least in this expansion, due to the fact that the devs have been looking for really cool female leaders, and the Maya has just that.

I'm also hoping they will still add the Iroquois, a personal favourite of mine. Maya and Inca really should be in the game too, so I'm holding my breath to see them, and I think there is still a good chance we will see the Maya at least in this expansion, due to the fact that the devs have been looking for really cool female leaders, and the Maya has just that.
Palenque has already been spotted in a live stream, sadly. :( Still good chance on the Inca, though.

The Subarctic is actually a pretty interesting culture area, and one that a lot of people probably aren't too familiar with. Aside from the Cree and some Ojibwa, it's chiefly populated by Na-Dene Athabascan speakers. Their culture in some ways resembles a simplified form of PNW culture (which is perhaps unsurprising, given that the Tlingit, who are also Na-Dene, are probably along with the unrelated Haida the PNW civ par excellence--some Athabaskans also inhabit the southern PNW). This doesn't exactly apply to the Cree, who are far closer to other Algonquian peoples of the region (especially the Ojibwa and Anishinaabe) than the Athabaskans; but they did trade and intermarry with the Athabaskans, so some of that cultural influence is there.
Don't forget that the Navajo is more closely related to the Tlingit than the Navajo are to the Shoshone, though the latter is more closely related to the Aztecs than to the Navajo, despite the fact that the Navajo and the Shoshone live in neighbouring territories.

It's drawn in a style reminiscent of medieval bestiaries. See the illustration for the bonnacon on Wikipedia for a very similar drawing (or don't, that thing is disgusting).

Don't forget that the Navajo is more closely related to the Tlingit than the Navajo are to the Shoshone, though the latter is more closely related to the Aztecs than to the Navajo, despite the fact that the Navajo and the Shoshone live in neighbouring territories.

Ah, the wonders of linguistics! :D Doesn't necessarily mean that all the people in a language family are closely related genetically though. I don't think I share that much DNA with the Tibetans and Burmese despite them being classified as Sino-Tibetan.

Palenque has already been spotted in a live stream, sadly. :( Still good chance on the Inca, though.

Do you mean Palenque has been spotted as a CS in R&F? That's a shame, as that was a really good candidate for an interesting civ with a cool female leader.. If they really want to add a Native Americas' CS, there is always Cahokia.

I think we will get the Inca sooner or later at least.

Yep, the Navajo and Apache are Athabaskan--though not particularly close to Tlingit, which is the most distant of the three branches of Na-Dene (Eyak was closer to Athabaskan, together forming a sub-branch of the family).
Ah, the wonders of linguistics! :D Doesn't necessarily mean that all the people in a language family are closely related genetically though. I don't think I share that much DNA with the Tibetans and Burmese despite them being classified as Sino-Tibetan.
True, point in case all the very-non-Anglo-Saxons speaking English. :p In this case, though, the Navajo and Apache are definitely genetically Na-Dene, not Amerindian.

Do you mean Palenque has been spotted as a CS in R&F? That's a shame, as that was a really good candidate for an interesting civ with a cool female leader.. If they really want to add a Native Americas' CS, there is always Cahokia.

I think we will get the Inca sooner or later at least.
Yep. :( The Maya will surely come eventually, but not in R&F. I'm still hopeful about the Inca, though.

It's drawn in a style reminiscent of medieval bestiaries. See the illustration for the bonnacon on Wikipedia for a very similar drawing (or don't, that thing is disgusting).

You have something against a beast expelling caustic feces? :crazyeye:

Yep. :( The Maya will surely come eventually, but not in R&F. I'm still hopeful about the Inca, though.

Well I'm glad to see that you are confident about the Maya despite that.

Well I'm glad to see that you are confident about the Maya despite that.
They've been in every version of Civ since Civ2, and they're just simply a powerhouse. I can't imagine they won't show up, either as a DLC or in the next expansion.

They've been in every version of Civ since Civ2, and they're just simply a powerhouse. I can't imagine they won't show up, either as a DLC or in the next expansion.
If they are planning on making 2 expansions, that would be very cool.

If they are planning on making 2 expansions, that would be very cool.

2 expansions is what everyone's expecting, 3's what people are hoping. Civ 4 and 5 had two expansions, and I'm not certain but civ 3 might as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom