1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] New Years Clues

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Eagle Pursuit, Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

Oh, and for leaks, one should avoid most social media.

nzcamel, Kimiimaro and Zaarin like this.
  2. MooFreaky

MooFreaky Meatbag Destroyer

I am not familiar with Native American art so please excuse my ignorance. The drawing of the Bison looks strange. I wouldn't have picked it as such without reading the comments here. Is this a depiction of how the Cree would have drawn the animal? If not why is it drawn like this?

nzcamel likes this.
  3. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

It was a bit odd. The horns and neck were very bison, but the haunches were too big and the tail too substantial and bent strangely.

nzcamel and Guandao like this.
  4. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

The Subarctic is actually a pretty interesting culture area, and one that a lot of people probably aren't too familiar with. Aside from the Cree and some Ojibwa, it's chiefly populated by Na-Dene Athabascan speakers. Their culture in some ways resembles a simplified form of PNW culture (which is perhaps unsurprising, given that the Tlingit, who are also Na-Dene, are probably along with the unrelated Haida the PNW civ par excellence--some Athabaskans also inhabit the southern PNW). This doesn't exactly apply to the Cree, who are far closer to other Algonquian peoples of the region (especially the Ojibwa and Anishinaabe) than the Athabaskans; but they did trade and intermarry with the Athabaskans, so some of that cultural influence is there.

It's a strange depiction, no doubt. Cave art is more of a Stone Age European thing, so I have no idea what the artist was shooting for there.

earlc and Guandao like this.
  5. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

The bison has a strange grin. :eek: I wouldn't want to be near it.

nzcamel, Kimiimaro, ONDOLINDE and 3 others like this.
  6. Greywulf

Greywulf Chieftain

I agree, I would rather know, although it is more exciting when they gradually tell us one civ/leader at a time.

I'm also hoping they will still add the Iroquois, a personal favourite of mine. Maya and Inca really should be in the game too, so I'm holding my breath to see them, and I think there is still a good chance we will see the Maya at least in this expansion, due to the fact that the devs have been looking for really cool female leaders, and the Maya has just that.

Aussie_Lurker likes this.
  7. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Palenque has already been spotted in a live stream, sadly. :( Still good chance on the Inca, though.

nzcamel and Guandao like this.
  8. God of Kings

Don't forget that the Navajo is more closely related to the Tlingit than the Navajo are to the Shoshone, though the latter is more closely related to the Aztecs than to the Navajo, despite the fact that the Navajo and the Shoshone live in neighbouring territories.

Guandao likes this.
  9. Lord Xavius

Lord Xavius Mostly Lurking

It's drawn in a style reminiscent of medieval bestiaries. See the illustration for the bonnacon on Wikipedia for a very similar drawing (or don't, that thing is disgusting).

10. VermelhoRed

VermelhoRed Chieftain

About the bison, I think it's the same thing as the monster-ish frog on Korea's tease, they're drawing animals like that as part of the exploration theme.

11. God of Kings

The teaser should have included Cree writing.

Expect many on the cyan canary to believe that it's an alien language.

stealth_nsk and Guandao like this.
  12. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

Ah, the wonders of linguistics! :D Doesn't necessarily mean that all the people in a language family are closely related genetically though. I don't think I share that much DNA with the Tibetans and Burmese despite them being classified as Sino-Tibetan.

Zaarin and God of Kings like this.
  13. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I think there is some on the peace pipe.

God of Kings likes this.
  14. Greywulf

Greywulf Chieftain

Do you mean Palenque has been spotted as a CS in R&F? That's a shame, as that was a really good candidate for an interesting civ with a cool female leader.. If they really want to add a Native Americas' CS, there is always Cahokia.

I think we will get the Inca sooner or later at least.

Zaarin likes this.
  15. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Yep, the Navajo and Apache are Athabaskan--though not particularly close to Tlingit, which is the most distant of the three branches of Na-Dene (Eyak was closer to Athabaskan, together forming a sub-branch of the family).
    True, point in case all the very-non-Anglo-Saxons speaking English. :p In this case, though, the Navajo and Apache are definitely genetically Na-Dene, not Amerindian.

Yep. :( The Maya will surely come eventually, but not in R&F. I'm still hopeful about the Inca, though.

ombak likes this.
  16. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ

You have something against a beast expelling caustic feces? :crazyeye:

nzcamel likes this.
  17. Greywulf

Greywulf Chieftain

Well I'm glad to see that you are confident about the Maya despite that.

Zaarin likes this.
  18. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

They've been in every version of Civ since Civ2, and they're just simply a powerhouse. I can't imagine they won't show up, either as a DLC or in the next expansion.

nzcamel likes this.
  19. Greywulf

Greywulf Chieftain

If they are planning on making 2 expansions, that would be very cool.

Zaarin likes this.
  20. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

2 expansions is what everyone's expecting, 3's what people are hoping. Civ 4 and 5 had two expansions, and I'm not certain but civ 3 might as well.

Zaarin and nzcamel like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.