New Year's resolutions 2022

The_J

Say No 2 Net Validations
Administrator
Supporter
Yes, yes, I know, you can do this any time of the year.... therefore Jan 1 (or 2 in our case) is an as valid date as any other.

So... what resolutions do you have?
The same as everyone else (lose weight, eat healthier, etc), or something more specific?

Mine (although these are somewhat more plans, but anyways):
- Not eat healthier, I don't care
- Lose weight though (down to 85, better 80 kg)
- Increase my weights in the gym
- Find a new job
- finish the work at my old job (...oh boy...)
- Go... let's aim high... go on 2 dates
- Finish my list of places to see in Southern France (if the situation allows it)

That's it right now, but might become more, not sure.

Drink more
Loose weight (down from 78 to 74)
Watch more movies
Care less about stuff I can't control

I don't really do resolutions, but my goals for the year:

- Yep, I want to draw some memorable art!

- I want to spend more time learning how to produce generative art. This new hobby combines my love of art and my knowledge of programming into one, so it seems like a no-brainer, but I have only learned the basics so far and have produced some rudimentary recursive algorithms. Sometime this year I want to take this to the next level.

- I want to find some time to take my idea for a written story further. I have begun laying out a story, breaking it into chapters, designing characters and settings, but so far it's very rough. I want to get down and actually have something written and take this project to the next level and advance it in some capacity.

- I want to take the time to read more. I need to finish re-reading Dune, I want to re-read Dune Messiah after that, and finish reading the other book I'm reading.. and finally finish the Commonwealth set of books.. ... There's also a bunch of other books I'd love to read but just never find time. I want to change that this year.

- I need to work on one of my decks and replace all the boards on it and that's probably something that should be done this year

- I want to learn a bit about finance and learn more about the ins and outs of tax season. I bet there's stuff I could be claiming. I need to be more on top of that. This all goes down in uhm a bunch of months, so I have some time.

- I probably need to buy a new wardrobe. I haven't gone clothes or shoe shopping since late 2019. I need work pants and work shoes. I probably need socks. I need a bunch of stuff.

- If my other projects pay off I want to spend some time on my pho related website and actually do something with the domain I bought for it. I have a bunch of ideas for it and have started trying some of them out, but a lot more work needs to be done here.

- I want to somehow find some time to work on music creation and production. I want to write a breaks type track and get my friend to take it and mix it in and take it to the next level. We've sort of been talking about collaborating like that for years but it's never amounted to much. I bough some music creation software (Reason 11) last Christmas and I have written some tracks in it, and improved working with loops and breaks, beats, etc. so I need to find some time to work on this project.

- I need to be more physically active and go on more walks or something. Should probably work out more. I've been too sedentary last year.

Get surgery. Change my name. Retake my learner's. Relearn French.

Lose thirty pounds. Again.

I can help with some. I'll let you find out which ones.

No plans for 2022. I won't be disappointed.

I don't really do resolutions, but my goals for the year:

- Yep, I want to draw some memorable art!

- I want to spend more time learning how to produce generative art. This new hobby combines my love of art and my knowledge of programming into one, so it seems like a no-brainer, but I have only learned the basics so far and have produced some rudimentary recursive algorithms. Sometime this year I want to take this to the next level.

- I want to find some time to take my idea for a written story further. I have begun laying out a story, breaking it into chapters, designing characters and settings, but so far it's very rough. I want to get down and actually have something written and take this project to the next level and advance it in some capacity.

- I want to take the time to read more. I need to finish re-reading Dune, I want to re-read Dune Messiah after that, and finish reading the other book I'm reading.. and finally finish the Commonwealth set of books.. ... There's also a bunch of other books I'd love to read but just never find time. I want to change that this year.

- I need to work on one of my decks and replace all the boards on it and that's probably something that should be done this year

- I want to learn a bit about finance and learn more about the ins and outs of tax season. I bet there's stuff I could be claiming. I need to be more on top of that. This all goes down in uhm a bunch of months, so I have some time.

- I probably need to buy a new wardrobe. I haven't gone clothes or shoe shopping since late 2019. I need work pants and work shoes. I probably need socks. I need a bunch of stuff.

- If my other projects pay off I want to spend some time on my pho related website and actually do something with the domain I bought for it. I have a bunch of ideas for it and have started trying some of them out, but a lot more work needs to be done here.

- I want to somehow find some time to work on music creation and production. I want to write a breaks type track and get my friend to take it and mix it in and take it to the next level. We've sort of been talking about collaborating like that for years but it's never amounted to much. I bough some music creation software (Reason 11) last Christmas and I have written some tracks in it, and improved working with loops and breaks, beats, etc. so I need to find some time to work on this project.

- I need to be more physically active and go on more walks or something. Should probably work out more. I've been too sedentary last year.
Hm. For writing, I recommend NaNoWriMo. Nobody sees anything you write unless you choose to share it, and the forums there are fantastic for finding people to chat with to give you suggestions, help, and encouragement. It's not all amateur writers who hang out there; many Wrimos have gone on to become professional authors and are happy to share advice and tips. The next actual competition starts April 1, and it's a Camp event so you can set your own goal. As long as you make it by 11:59 pm April 30 in your time zone, it counts as a win. There aren't any tangible prizes (unless you choose to print out your winner's certificate), but the prizes do include some generous discounts on writing software and other how-tos.

Reading Dune, etc.... I've thought of starting a thread for that in A&E. Would you be interested in this? If we set a goal of reaching a certain point every couple of weeks, it could be doable. It's something I've wanted to try ever since we had the old Dunefanatics social group.

Remember: When you eventually write a book about your world travels, there needs to be a chapter exclusively devoted to soup: "Ode to Pho." All your posts and photos have convinced me to try this sometime.

My own resolutions: I don't usually make them. Good intentions are fine, but only if carried through. I have trouble carrying through on plans I made an hour ago.

I suppose one of them would be to vary my writing more. I've been working on the same project for over 3 years, and recently was contacted by someone over at TrekBBS who is also interested in F.M. Busby's Hulzein novels and writing fanfic. He's posted a story on AO3 and wants me to post what I've written. Now I have to find it, since there's only one part of it that was ever posted online and that place is gone now. So I guess one resolution that might be doable is to actually post some of my writing on an actual fanfic site. It would have to be a short one, since I'm nowhere finished with the long ones, and tend to be a perfectionist anyway.

- I want to find some time to take my idea for a written story further. I have begun laying out a story, breaking it into chapters, designing characters and settings, but so far it's very rough. I want to get down and actually have something written and take this project to the next level and advance it in some capacity..
Talk to @Synsensa. He has helped 22 people in 2021 write and organize books. He is good and worth a lot more than he will charge if he does some actual work. He has a web site too.

Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely try to remember that. For now it's more of a problem of motivation
And if you buy socks, buy Bombas. So exceptional! Buy one pair to try then you will go back and buy 5 more.

Dry January.
Less phone/screen time.

I'm thinking of trying to improve my handwriting. I've found a site online that promises to help one do so over a 30 day period.

I had planned to take a month off the news...

not going well so far. (it's actually hard)

Top Bottom