New Zealand Election

Can understand first and third point.

But what is "Free trade training"?

Basically government investment into non tertiary training courses.

Construction, electrician, plumbing presumably probably agriculture courses as well.

Used to have it through to the 80s but the neo libs defunded it in the 80s. Now there's a tradie shortage with an aging workforce.

To sponsor trade training is such a sensible thing to do. Back in 1992 when I studied at Victoria Uni, they needed such people and not the chem engineers that I was....

To sponsor trade training is such a sensible thing to do. Back in 1992 when I studied at Victoria Uni, they needed such people and not the chem engineers that I was....

Found out it also applies to mechanical engineering.

Basically the idea is the youth and other people hit hard by Covid might need to retrain.

We need trades, there's 10 times as many applicants for medical type jobs from US, UK , Singapore and some other places.

Only way to get a visa atm.

TIL NZ was suppose to be part of Australia and may join at any time
The weird thing was that NZ refused to join because it wanted to protect the rights of its native population, then when Australia got around to protecting the rights of natives, NZ didnt want to join because there were too many Chinese living in Australia

TIL NZ was suppose to be part of Australia and may join at any time
The weird thing was that NZ refused to join because it wanted to protect the rights of its native population, then when Australia got around to protecting the rights of natives, NZ didnt want to join because there were too many Chinese living in Australia

I've seen that video. It's a bit more complicated than that but.

1. Australia treated the aboriginals very badly. Last mass shooting was in the 1930s. NZs not perfect if course but we never really had segregation etc.

2. Tis true about China. For va while there they had a no Chinese policy. They had some arrive here in the 1860s gold rush but made it hard after that to come here. I think they got charged the equivalent of tend of thousands of dollars to move here. Helen Clark apologized for it years ago.

In the USA they had segration and Jim Crow. Here they kinda tried to integrate the Maori but not in a particularly nice way.

They more or less forced them to go to Pakeha schools and speak English. Forced integration.

The Maori weren't excluded socially as such even the the bad old days they could go into the same places etc and they got to vote before white women who got universal suffrage in 1893.

Construction, electrician, plumbing presumably probably agriculture courses as well.

Used to have it through to the 80s but the neo libs defunded it in the 80s. Now there's a tradie shortage with an aging workforce.
How strong are the Kiwi tradesmen unions? I can’t imagine many of them wanting the government to start paying for their competition if they’re in high demand and getting good salaries.

That's better, I had figured it, but when I first read what you had written I was like: they're going to teach Ricardo's theories? :lol:

How strong are the Kiwi tradesmen unions? I can’t imagine many of them wanting the government to start paying for their competition if they’re in high demand and getting good salaries.

There's nothing preventing the new people from joining the unions. In fact training probably encourages that. Whereas lack of training encourages informal work without professionalism and without unions.

I don't think they exist as such anymore.

Or if they do they don't have much clout.

They guttted the Unions early 90s.

Top Bottom