New Zealand - Land of the long white cloud.

Nobody

Gangster
Ok heres my first story, i am playing on regent on a random large map. I am playing a New Zealand, based on the iroquios, but i changed the names for citys/leaders/unique units in the editor. Please don't think anything i have written in maori history, i have just used famous names a little, and might have a myth every now and then.

...........................................................................................
Chapter One: Te Tiriti o Wellington

On the cold rapids of the Storming Waikato river the representatives of the four Maori tribes of Tini-o-Maruiwa, Tini-o-Taitawaro, Tini-o-Ruatamore and Tini-o-Pananehu travelled in there war canoes to the meeting house. The four tribes were named after the four original waka (war canoe) that the mystical Maori ancestors had travelled in from there legendary homeland of Hawaiki. The four chiefs had warred against each other for the past five thousands years but now they were joining together as they went to meet with the leaders of two Pakeha Tribes (Angelos and Saxsons) at the small white township of Wellington. There they would speak of trade in the first nation wide Trade meeting.

An awkward silence ensured as the Maori leaders faced there Pakeha counter part. Neither side really knew what to expect, only a few missionaries were there to work as translators as neither sides leaders knew the others distinct Language. But very quickly these differences disappeared; the two sides (actually six distinct tribes) very quickly came to like each other. The trades discussed were mutually profitable for all six tribes and after two weeks of talks the six tribes agreed to something that no one had expected. They signed a treaty which created a trade union, named “The Common Wealth of New Zealand” under this agreement each side would send diplomatic representatives to the city of Wellington. The Common Wealth would regulate trade, organise joint infrastructure ventures, and send out scouts and boats to map and find new foreign markets for their goods.

The first meeting of Commonwealth took place in 4000B.C. in Wellington. There the representatives appointed a chairperson. The first Chairperson was the right honourable Helen Clarke. Once she was elected, she decreed that a trade route shale be created using workers from each tribe. This trade route would bring back silks for the tribe. A small trade town was established for the harvesting of the silks. The new route was opened by Chairperson Helen Clarke in the year 2710B.C. And the trading town was named Auckland. At this time a new revolution allowed the fast movement of troops, wheeled wagons towed by horses would move these silk piles from Auckland to Wellington and then disperse it among the six tribes.

At next meeting the commonwealth decided to give Helen Clarke the title of Chairperson for Life, because of the great success of her silk road. The new times of the commonwealth were to send out scouts and boats to other markets so the six tribes could sell their new luxury overseas. At this time two new trade roads were planned, to bring diamonds into the empire. Construction was to begin, which would mean a new Worker party would be based out of Auckland to build the southern route. This also called for the establishment of two new trade settlements. The Saxon tribes representative had the answer for this. They would send two annoying groups of his citizens to build the new city; The Large Dunn family and a bunch of religious fanatics the “Christians.”

Not to long after this a scout ship came across a large city on the other side of the globe. After Initial greetings it was reviled that this city was Andripole. Before long the sailors were in beautiful city of Constantinople, covered in gold this city was incredible compared to the small tribal villages these men were use to and even the great township of Wellington was nothing compared to this. They were brought to a large room filled with food and wine, and they meet with the leader of the people Empress Theodra of the Byzantium Empire. The empress introduced her self to the two the crew of young Maori men, (the seafaring trades were dominated by Maori). Captain Hemi spoke back for them. The empress asked them what empire they were from and who was the emperor. At the Hemi didn’t know what to say, he came from the Tini-o-Taitawaro, most of his crew were Tini-o-Ruatamore except the cook James from Saxon. They didn’t have a emperor they had their chief but that was all. Eventually after thinking for what seemed like a hour he came to his answer, “I am Hemi Kaumatua Ambassador of the Empire of New Zealand, loyal servant of Empress Helen Clarke.

Very nice attention to detail... Keep it going...

Just a comment on your game, if I may... Do you allways play like this or is the big space between the 2 cities on purpose to reflect the open lands of New Zealand?

Also you used your worker to road ahead of the settler, which is mostly good. But you left your Capitol underdeveloped. Right now it is working 2 undeveloped tiles, thus missing out on atleast 2 shields per turn and 2 commerce per turn.

Your spot B is right next to a vulcano, Is that wize? Or part of the story?

Some more stuff, but maybe later.... If you want...

Well i normally do bulid closer together, but i wanted to get the silks right away. Then i wrote that into my story. so i decided to go for the gems next no matter how far away they were. I will fill in the gaps soon. And bulid more workers. But city placement/work actions have always been my weakness. and the volcano thing, well that was just point to the wrong spot. Also note i coverted miles to kilometers for area.

haha! loving it! empress Clarke! Looks cool.

I cant see a volcano? But with your second city you could of built one square beloe - got the coast and then the space between the two would have been big enough to put another city in between.

Oh yeah and i heard somewhere there was a movement in NZ to get a new flag, is that what the black and red one in the top left is? or is that a Moari thing?

Keep going!

Oh yeah and i heard somewhere there was a movement in NZ to get a new flag, is that what the black and red one in the top left is? or is that a Moari thing?

The second flag is the maori flag, personally i don't like it as it devids our nation, but i added it because i am talking a lot about maori, and i wanted to fill in the gray. next part soon.

EDIT: also my avarta is the new proposed flag.

OK i hope you people liked the first part and like the second even better. Just as a note the Maori never really used horses or bow and arrows, but my unique unit is just a modifyed Iroquios one.
............................................................................................................
Chapter Two: Empire of New Zealand

Three weeks later the Kaumatua ship returned home to Wellington, by this time land scouts had also reached the Byzantines Empire. The Kaumatua crew had their time in Constantinople teaching the locals how to create wheels and studying the Byzantines Warrior Code, this frightened the young sailors as they had never heard of battles on the scale these books described. Before the left they we given 10 chests of gold to return to Emperor Clarke as a sign of respect.

Once they returned home they immediately summoned to the Commonwealth Council which had just begun its third Great Meeting. This meeting was largest than its processors and much more organised. It had been 12 years since the last meeting, and the tribal leaders all had written to the Chairman demanding another be called. See most people would assume that these meeting would be a annual affair, but because of the logistics involved of getting the six chiefs together in one place at the same time the meetings were only called when important phases of growth were about to take place. The Chairman began the meeting by setting the agenda, of the next month of talks. First they would meet with Captain Hemi and listen to his tales of the foreign lands.

The tribal leaders were shaken when they heard that Hemi had said he was from the New Zealand Empire. But the chair person seemed to like this part, although she ensured them that this was simply so that the Byzantium government could relate to the commonwealth. The rest of meeting was discussing the Byzantines. The new trade cities of Christchurch and Dunedin had bought excess gems into the empire. Although these shiny gems didn’t really appeal to the tribes the Byzantines would be more than willing to pay gold for these precious rocks. It was decided that Captain Hemi should return to Constantinople and set up an embassy to discuss trade and for each tribe to put forward worker parties to build a gigantic road from Auckland to Constantinople so that silk and gems could be sold to these people. This antagonised the tribal leaders because they believed that these workers should be kept at home to improve the infrastructure of the nation.

To discuss this matter a Union of Workers was established to meet bi-annually to discuss worker actions in the Nation. After this the Tribal Leaders headed home with a bitter taste in their mouth there mouth, they felt that the meeting had not helped the tribe at all and had only worked for the cities interests. The most concerning thing for the chiefs was urbanisation. At the time of the signing of the Treaty of Wellington the population of New Zealand was 47000 now it was 334000, and while this growth was large the current population of the six tribes combined was a little over 30000, almost all of the growth had happened in the four large trading cities. This worried the chiefs because although they were technically in charge of these cities they had no real control over them. And as political control of the nation moved steadily into the grips of the Chairman/Empress the chiefs were becoming a pointless puppets that only served to legitimise the Chairman’s Reign. But the Leaders decided that now wasn’t the time to act, that they would go back to their villages and hamlets and they let situation stir.

The Next ten years was a period of unparalleled growth for the New Zealand people, over this time three new cities were founded, roads and infrastructure was built this increased the national GDP my 300% money was flowing into Wellington, Dunedin and the other cities. The national trade system was complete, and Byzantium Gem road was almost complete (diplomatic issues were slowing down the construction through Byzantium territory. Also during this era, the NZ explores meet two more foreign nations, the Roman despotism, which was beyond a giant Rain forest to the south and Arabic Empire which was across a giant ocean to the west of the New Zealand Commonwealth.

This era of prosperity was also an era of tragedy for Tribal rights. During this time there were no meetings of the commonwealth council, and the Chairman ruled by decree. In the year 1860B.C. the volcano of Mount Tarawera exploded showering the city of Dunedin in burning ash and covering outlying areas with Liquid Hot Magma. The economy of Dunedin survived but 2000 souls were lost in the disaster. To help with the relief project Chairman Clark drafted two worker groups from the Christchurch region, she done this by decree without first consulting the Workers Union or the Tribal Elders. The tribal leaders let this go because of the emergency; by letting the Chairman Issue degrees they set a horrible precedent. Soon the Diplomatic problems with the Byzantium had convinced Helen Clark that the trade union needs a military to enforce the nation’s trade rights. She began to draft a large army of Maori warriors who would ride on horse back. She began creating regiments of one hundred men. By the year one thousand B.C. the commonwealth had ten of these regiments. The Tribal leaders were frightened by this and other events that took place and decided that the moment for action was now upon them.

Charles Tyrwhitt early of Saxony sat in his manor in the hamlet of Saxony, he sat in his sitting chair reading his young daughter poetry while his family sat around him listening intently. He didn’t notice the sound of horse hoofs hitting the path up to his home or if he did notice I didn’t care. His youngest son Julian went to the bathroom to relief his bladder as he came back he noticed a large brown man standing in the hall way. Before he could even think about what he saw, the Maori warrior had moved forward bring his green stone Patu up into the young boys forehead just split the top of this head like a Mellon, Leaving his brain sitting there open for the world too see. More warriors came into the house marching in to the lounge and filling the rest of the family with arrows. The bodies were hung from the trees surrounding the house. Then the citizens of the tribe were moved to Wellington and the Saxony was burnt to the ground. This was repeated across New Zealand until all the Tribal leaders were dead and all the tribes were burnt to the ground.

Two days later, Ambassador Hemi signed a Free Movement Pact with the Byzantium on behalf of the newly crowned Empress of New Zealand.

funny when i reread it how many stupid things i did "the earl of saxony sat in his house in saxony" well duh

no but if i was making it today i would have set him as, more to come tomorrow i have had busy days and have only played a few turns. Next Chapter is "Chapter 3: Diplomacy and War"

Very cool, hope you keep going with this. Nice to read a New Zealand story for a change. :)

Top Bottom