1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Zealand Terror Attack

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Silurian, Mar 15, 2019 at 9:18 AM.

1. Silurian

Silurian Warlord

Breivik inspired attack in Christchurch, New Zealand which was streamed live on Facebook.

From BBC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-47578798

nzcamel likes this.
  2. Arwon

Arwon

This was more people murdered in one afternoon than all homicides in New Zealand in 2017.

Nothing surprising about murderous fascist violence at this point, but god it's gutting.

Lexicus likes this.
  3. GoodEnoughForMe

GoodEnoughForMe n.m.s.s.

Ben Shapiro has now been cited in two fascist terrorist attacks and pewdiepie in this, and the fact that super famous people can run around saying "Muslims destroy" and live in dirt and are inherently bad, and throw up Nazi imagery and denigrate Jewish people routinely, and we spend time debating if it's satire or stupid edginess or a valuable inclusion in the marketplace of ideas is a goddamn joke.

4. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Warlord

I noted this morning that New Zealand authorities were quick to call this an act of terrorism, something some/many American authorities and media seem loath to do. I'm not sure Dylann Roof was ever charged with terrorism, for example.

5. Arwon

Arwon

I think the term has a specific legislative meaning in terms of executive and security powers. But I also think the perpetrators will be charged with conventional murder. Mitre was already illegal without terrorism laws.

nzcamel likes this.
  6. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Warlord

Perhaps a matter of informal definition
    If you consider terrorism only to be there when the the government, the nation-state as a whole, is threatened...

and not for example an unwanted or marginalised minority...

EDIT:
    Netanyahu an example of that erosion:

7. Silurian

Silurian Warlord

Most terrorist acts are covered by other laws.

But if it is an act of terrorism, that is an aggravating factor, so terror laws with longer sentences should be used.

8. Arwon

Arwon

I don't think they'll have any trouble sentencing this guy to the maximum, which is life. I just looked and the longest minimum (ie non parole period) sentence in NZ for homicide is currently 30 years for a guy who killed 3 people in a robbery after a string of other offences.

NZ law allows for life without the possibility of parole. It's never so far happened, but you'd think that will change here. (Australia has about a dozen people in for life without the possibility of parole)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 10:14 AM
    nzcamel likes this.
  9. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Warlord

I hope they can find out who were all tuned in when the massacre was streamed live on Facebook... and dig in whether they knew in advance

inthesomeday likes this.
  10. Phrossack

Phrossack Armored Fish and Armored Men

Says immigrants are bringing crime and ruining countries. Travels to another country and commits a crime against humanity. Classic white nationalist.

Society can't be safe while this far-right terrorist movement exists. It's been tolerated for too long and all it produces is death and hatred.

11. Silurian

Silurian Warlord

That's a good point. Also how did they react, did they call the police or did they forward the link.

Hrothbern likes this.
  12. Silurian

Silurian Warlord

If some terrorists are charged with terrorism and others are not what sort of message does that send.

13. GoodEnoughForMe

GoodEnoughForMe n.m.s.s.

He also frequently cited Candace Owens, who praised Hitler recently and has said France needs to arm themselves against "Muslim invasion" and has been crowing about birthrates for years.

Just a total collection of garbage humans who should not be taken seriously or given any benefit of the doubt.

The fact that we also have a grand total of like, one major US politician calling for dismantling companies like Amazon and Facebook and Google is a joke. Every single thing runs through them, they are billion dollar companies, and yet Youtube is the biggest jumping off point for alt-right and Nazi ideology in the world, and his whole stream was on Facebook forever.

14. Arwon

Arwon

I'm not sure any other mass murderers in NZ have been charged with terrorism instead of murder? Not sure what you're getting at here.

15. GoodEnoughForMe

GoodEnoughForMe n.m.s.s.

Fox News already had someone on who said "It's very understandable what he was trying to do from a political perspective" as if Fox News is just bog-standard conservatism and not white supremacist: the station. Or as if there is as much difference between the two as many of them claim.

16. Arwon

Arwon

Australia had its nazi accidental senator put out a press release essentially blaming Muslims for existing.

17. Silurian

Silurian Warlord

Well what do you mean by

"Murder was already illegal without terrorism laws"

18. Arwon

Arwon

I mean I don't think NZ's terrorism legislation altered the murder part of criminal law. It seems to have mostly dealt with executive and security powers and defined a series of support, finance and bombing offences.

nzcamel likes this.
  19. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Warlord

Yes, I think so too.

In the United States, there's another informal distinction between an act of terrorism and something like a "hate crime": Many people view terrorism as an act of war, and thus its perpetrators can be treated as enemy combatants, subjected to "enhanced interrogation" and detention in "black sites", denied rights to representation and habeas corpus, etc. I've never heard anyone in the US government, law enforcement, or media say this out loud, this is just my take. (fwiw, I think terrorism should be treated as a crime and not an act of war, but heck, if I ran things, a lot would be different. :lol: )

20. Silurian

Silurian Warlord

It looks like it is part of the sentencing procedure here in the UK.

From UK government.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/terrorism