Newb Questions

Tapok

Chieftain
Hey guys,

I've re-installed Civ4 and all the mods after giving the Civ5 demo a try, and I liked it. After wanting more, though, I installed RoM, but owing to the lack of a detailed contents list or wiki or something, there's a lot that I am confused about.

So I has questions:

(I'm playing as the Siameese on Snail speed)

1. How come it takes such a very very long time for cities to accumulate enough food and grow? Likewise, why does research take much longer than it would comparatively in "Marathon" mode? Example: I'm looking at 79 turns to grow my starting city with few options to expand that, but I don't think it would take me 39 in Marathon. Unless I am mistaken. I'm 5% through the entirety of my turns, quite a lot I think, and I only have a population of 3. What am I doing wrong!

2. What does "Actual" mean in terms of production? I was looking at the forge which offered +15% hammers, but the "actual" production was only 1 hammer (and not in percentage terms).

3. I have met the Sumerians, but they are "Sumerian Tribe" and I am "Siameese city-state". What is the significance of these terms?

4. Why has the amount of food stored by the granary dropped to 30%?

Thanks in advance for any help with these. I think I might write a "A complete crash course to starting RoM" after a few more turns...

Hey guys,

I've re-installed Civ4 and all the mods after giving the Civ5 demo a try, and I liked it. After wanting more, though, I installed RoM, but owing to the lack of a detailed contents list or wiki or something, there's a lot that I am confused about.

So I has questions:

(I'm playing as the Siameese on Snail speed)

1. How come it takes such a very very long time for cities to accumulate enough food and grow? Likewise, why does research take much longer than it would comparatively in "Marathon" mode? Example: I'm looking at 79 turns to grow my starting city with few options to expand that, but I don't think it would take me 39 in Marathon. Unless I am mistaken. I'm 5% through the entirety of my turns, quite a lot I think, and I only have a population of 3. What am I doing wrong!

2. What does "Actual" mean in terms of production? I was looking at the forge which offered +15% hammers, but the "actual" production was only 1 hammer (and not in percentage terms).

3. I have met the Sumerians, but they are "Sumerian Tribe" and I am "Siameese city-state". What is the significance of these terms?

4. Why has the amount of food stored by the granary dropped to 30%?

Thanks in advance for any help with these. I think I might write a "A complete crash course to starting RoM" after a few more turns...

1. Snail is much slower than marathon, it is my preferred speed ;) bu I always start with "Advance Start" just to avoid the initial "press end turn" sequence. One population consumes 3 food not 2 as in BtS.

2. Actual is the actual number you get at the time of building. It applies the % to the current to give you the actual. Naturally as your hammers increase so will the number provided by the building.

3. Basically nothing it is "colour" to the game from the dynamic nation naming mod. As you progress the name of your nation will change.

4. for balance, there are many food producing buildings and other buildings that store food. This way growth is lowed down a bit. Too many people were complaining of size 17 cities in the classic/medieval ears. ;)

Some of this stuff is explained in the concepts pages, I believe. I am not sure because I have been playing this mod since it first came out.

Top Bottom