1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie FAQ

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Strategy & Tips' started by N0mad, Mar 1, 2004.

1. N0mad

N0mad Chieftain

Ok I looked at the last Democracy game you guys played. What do you guys do just secure cities with diplomats and spys??! or even nothing? if so what does this accomplish? Why so few units? Do i want to jack luxurys up before the game ends? sell all my buildingS? Disband my army?

Just a few questions i had. :p

By 1AD how many cities would you say you usually have. Somtimes i have 9, 14... When i tried my hardest i got 24.. No ****. I have save if you wanna see it. this is on Emperor. well i accidentaly saved on ad20 but check the city foundings and you will truely see it. If you can turn that game around that would be wicked sick i myself gave up because of riots.

Also, How do you keep order in such a large empire. I usually disband enemy cities and send their engineers back to my home area and use them as slaves and sex toys(just kidding).

Or just have them pick my cotton. Unless their city has a wonder or is huge. I dont like having over 30 cities, this complicates things and makes the game hella long. Also how do you get science up so high the most i can get is 5 turns but i still end up ending the game on retirement in 2020.

2. TimTheEnchanter

TimTheEnchanter I...am...an Enchanter!

Putting it bluntly, the risk of actually losing most cities to the AI is often not worth the investment of a defensive unit, especially if it costs sheild support. It's all a matter of setting your priorities, weighing risks, and making choices. Usually offensive units provide a better defense by counterattacking anyway, so often times several cities will "share" (via roads or RR) a high attack unit and dips to kill or bribe interlopers . Some cities that are not near AI cities, really are not threatened and don't require defense at all.

The increase of luxuries is simply to increase the "score" at the end of the game. Happy citizens count more than content citizens.

Number of cities varies depending on circumstances and strategies. 24 is a good strong number of cities at AD1, but it's nothing crazy. Managing a large number of cities is easiest when you get key happiness wonders and develop a strong democracy government. It takes a lot of work, which is one reason I don't do it too much, but once you get the hang of it, it's not too bad. Getting science up is often the result of building a "Super Science City" or SSC. Proper use of trade is also important for getting rapid research.

Take some time and go through the threads and read up - There's a wealth of information around here. Pay particular attention to discussions of "power democracy" and "early landing games" for starters.

Oh, and welcome to CFC.

3. funxus

funxus Orange Cycloptic Blob

I'm in school now, so I can't check your save, but since you have happiness problems when you have many cities, I suspect you're still in monarchy. The more cities you have, the sooner you get black unhappy guys and more red guys, which means the cities become unhappier. If you build Hanging Gardens, this won't be such a problem, and switching to republic might also help a bit (although it will slow down expansion).

To each his own, but I find it a waste to disband allready founded cities on principal, because founding the city usually is the hardest part... using "power democracy" they will grow huge pretty quick anyway.:)

4. N0mad

N0mad Chieftain

hmmm....

Ok

This kid on the GOTM just said he finished the game in ad 420 or somthing, thats nuts!

5. ElephantU

ElephantU Deity

Funxus: You are correct, he is in Monarchy. 14 of his cities are in disorder. There is only one Temple in the whole empire, in a size 4 city which is still going to revolt. The T/S/L sliders were 70/30/0. Two cities were building Pyramids and Great Wall respectively (3 and 4 shields at a time); the rest are building Settlers and Pikemen. He's got 20 techs, primarily warfare: no Myst or Lit, but he does have Trade. No one has built a Wonder yet; HG, SunTzu and MarcoPolo are available.

Two things you can do immediately: build Temples and Hanging Gardens. Change all those Settlers and Pikemen to Caravans for building Wonders. Get some ships in the water from coastal cities and get some caravans overseas to get trade going. Build Marco Polo to find out about the other civs and do some tech trading. After Construction, research Myst, Lit, Philosophy, and MonoTheism (tech trade if possible), then build Mikes Chapel. And build some roads! On Grass or Plains they add 1 trade arrow.

BTW, if this is the Persians where is Persepolis? Looks like the capital is in Antioch.

6. N0mad

N0mad Chieftain

Well here is another game i played without being stupid. But the game took till 2020... But this is me at my best time before i found this site.

Comments? What i should do?
    ?? Tell me anything i can do to improve

7. mangor420

mangor420 Warlord

not a kid im 48

8. N0mad

N0mad Chieftain

What do you guys think of those games?

9. N0mad

N0mad Chieftain

Also, May i see some of yours?

10. funxus

funxus Orange Cycloptic Blob

You're playing MGE, (which at least I haven't bothered to install), so some might not be able to read the files.:)