1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie need tips, savegame included.

Discussion in 'Rise from Erebus Modmod' started by Baleur, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Baleur

Baleur Prince

Well basically, I'm completely new to Erebus, only played a few 70'ish turn games with some various civs, and while i got the basic gameplay understood i still have no clue what to do.
    There's so many research paths, so many buildings, what do i pick? What do i ignore?
    Playing as Calabim atm, should i go for happiness/health tech and buildings, or just let the pathetic peasants whine?

Another reason why i find it so hard to decide what to do, i always played Civ4 as an expansionistic culture freak, i pretty much NEVER went to war with anyone, which results in me being completely lost when it comes to war and units, in Civ4 BUG or Erebus or anything. :( :(
    I really want to learn warfare in civ though, it feels like a huge chunk of the game & mods that im not taking part in.

Desperatly need some tips on that too, what is good, stacking lots of small units, or just going for a few high tier units? (Calabim oriented this time)
    So if anyone feels like loading up my savegame here (1.3 rife), and telling me brutally what i do wrong, what improvements i should replace, what techs were dumb to get, etc. I'd owe you one.

Thanks! *goes to read the FFH2 manual again, and wishes it was updated for RiFE 1.3*

Attached Files:

2. arcticnightwolf

arcticnightwolf Emperor

as Calabim, try to get Vampire fast ... code of laws iirc for Governor's manor and feudalism for vampires
    you should try to go for max city size you can get, because vampires gets experience based on city population when feeding on population

3. northeaster345

northeaster345 Chieftain

Haven't played as calabim since 1.3, but I tended to grab bronze working and feudalism very early on. I'd make a push with a few vampires, a ton of moroi, a few catapults and an adept with loyalty to be able to spam burning blood.
    I'd be a little reckless with my adepts/mages so I could get them to lvl 6 and gift vampirism.
    I'm not sure how valid that will be now, because unhealth is a bigger problem, but abuse the pop for exp. I tend to grab a creation mana to have absurdly fast growing cities

4. Baleur

Baleur Prince

Thats the thing, everything is about warfare, and i didnt even know how to win wars in normal civ4 :p

5. inuyashasama

inuyashasama Warlord

It's actually not too hard. For each city, press alt + s and write in a unit-line: archer, melee, siege, recon, mounted, and arcane/divine. Assign them in that order, unless you have a civ that favors one line over the other (Amurites would want mages first or second for example). Then, every time you build a normal building, build a military structure or unit or afterward of that city's assigned line.

Then when you go to war, gather them all into one sizable stack of doom, and march toward the closest city. Begin by bombarding their defenses with your siege units until they hit 0, then hit them with the ranged attack once or twice. Then simply attack until the city is yours.

Protect each city with 2-3 of your best archer line units, and protect your borders with forts. Ideally, each fort has a archer, melee and disciple unit garrisoned within.

6. Divvu

Divvu Warlord

Also, each civ has unique dinamics. For example the calabim have vampires. But what does that mean? Have a look at your UU in the civilopedia.
    As calabim, for example, you'll discover that vampires can gift vampirism to other living unit.
    Arcticnightwolf already told you that you can get your vampires and the uber-important governor's manor trough CoL and Feudalism BUT if you want to explore the divine line, you can skip vampires altogheter, research fanaticism (IIRC) and train the calabim hero, Losha Valas. Being a Vampire, she can then pass the promotion to wathever other kind of unit you like to use (mind you, they need to be a certain level to get the gift, IIRC 6th level for everyone except for Morois, you can gift them vampirism at level 4).
    Just an example!

Also, are you new to Rife or FFH in general? Because if it is the latter, the FFH strategy subforum has some nice civ-specific strategies that can be both understandable and useful, I think.
    FFH has different learning curves, a "general" one and various civ-specific ones (also, counter-civ ones... You'll learn the first time you have the Hippus as neighbours, or the Sheaim decide to unleash an horde of Pyre Zombies upon you).

As for learning warfare in general... My advice is to simply play the game :p. Maybe you're gonna lose a couple of games, but that will not only give you game experience, you'll also have a lot of more specific questions, that can be nailed down and answered by the community...
    "I don't know how to do war" is a bit generic :)

Edit: I had a (very!) quick look at your game, I think you diluted your research too much...
    You actually have almost all of the tier 2 and 3 of the techtree (and nothing else... not even a tier 4 tech :p)! Don't be afraid to beeline for important techs a bit more!
    Specialize your military, you can conquer the whole world with a couple of unit-types alone, especially if the civ you choose has some special mechanic (see the elves for example, the Ljos have super archers while the Svart have ultra recon).
    A couple more things, use more unit to defend your cities, a couple of bloodpets aren't enough by turn 210, at least double them! Also, try not to empty your treasury as you did, there are some random events that can give you nice goodies, if you have the money to pay!

7. El Yahpo

El Yahpo Chieftain

Also, a tip for upping mages (when/if you get them) is to weaken a unit as low as you can and use the mage to finish it, be careful about this though