Newbie needing adivice (again)

Bucketball

Chieftain
Hi guys just a few quick questions been playing domination for a bit and actually not that into it so looking to switch to cultural. i played a couple of games last night as brazil but seemed to start off really slow pre 100 turns struggled to get 4 cities. also for cultural tall vs wide is it dependant on resources or play style as im a newby i rather have less cities ie 5 or less and focus on them more to figure the game dynamics out . i initially start out scouting and get as many ruins as i can. im playing on king so i learn quick but i havnt really figured out the cultural change any advice would be great, iv been searching forums and youtube lets play vids but they are a little bit too basic for me. maybe i need to stick out it out more. sorry for my ramble .

thanks in advance

matt

Jungle start means your starting location is full of jungle tiles, which takes forever to improve making your start very slow. Turn off starting bias and play as brazil is a good choice, I think brazil is the best civ for cultural victory by far.
France is another civ that is good for cultural victory. It has double tourism theme bonus in capital, and chateau give you some culture which can generate tourism with hotel.
Another civ that I think is potentially a good civ for cultural victory is Egypt, which people may overlook. Egypt UA helps you build wonders like Uffizi which is important for cultural victory. Also, its UB, which is a temple with happiness and without maintenance, helps you with faith generation. Thus, you can buy more great musicians after completing aesthetic.

whats a jungle start lol sorry, is there any easier civ for culture? china?

It means a start in the jungle... Brazil has a bias that makes it start in the jungle. And this is hard. You can disable start bias in the options when creating a game. I recommend it for Brazil.

Also you can try France.

Poland is also a very good civ that is good at everything and very "noob friendly".

o ok gotcha thanks since i changed bias its alot easier. also i start build order as scout then monument and then worker is that wrong? also once i get the worker should i improve all lux tiles or go for food tiles hence to grow city. .. lol sorry in advance

Building a worker isn't always necessary if you have a nearby CS and there are no sea resources near the CS. You can steal the worker and then declare peace the next turn. This let's you build something else and, often times, it's actually quicker to do this than build one "the hard way." Your reputation will go back to 0 after 60 turns (or 30 as Greece).

Ironically, the higher the difficulty level, the sooner CSs get their first worker. This makes this strategy more effective at higher levels.

I found cultural victory to be easy with Venice and wonder spam. You can buy army and other buildings to protect yourself/ stay competitive. You get good culture, which leads to your ideology being dominant (correct me if I am wrong here) so you dont get unhappiness penalty. Then you collect great works, archeology artifacts and try to get Great Musicians so you can attack other civs with your tourism. If someone has a strong culture, you can destroy them with your superior military. Also which difficulty level are you on? This strategy worked for me on King, might work on Emperor, less so on higher levels.

o ok gotcha thanks since i changed bias its alot easier. also i start build order as scout then monument and then worker is that wrong? also once i get the worker should i improve all lux tiles or go for food tiles hence to grow city. .. lol sorry in advance

Improve lux tiles first, that gives you additional happiness when you found new cities, as well as giving you spare luxes to sell to the AI to help you over the early game money woes, after that, focus on improving food resources (wheat, cows, deer, sheep), then building farm tiles adjacent to rivers/lakes. Generally strategic resources I'll alternate in between food resources - they are worth gold per turn to the ai, but not nearly as much as the luxes, and I tend to prioritize growth first - but every gpt from the ai helps. My goal is generally to have enough gold to buy the 3rd settler I need for my 4th city, and hopefully enough gpt incoming to be able to rush buy a library in my lowest production city when the other libraries have completed so as to begin the National College build in my capitol.

Build order on standard size maps for me is typically scout-scout-shrine (if needed to get a pantheon), followed by a worker if I haven't been able to steal one from an AI or city state, then a couple of settlers. I get my monument usually from tradition's second policy, but if don't find a cultural ruin by turn 10 (when the 2nd scout pops), I'd put a monument into the build order before the shrine.

If the land mass is expected to be small (small continents, any island/archipelago map) I'll forgo the 2nd scout.

hmm thanks for advice . im playing on king atm playing tiny map and pangea or whatever its called. having issues finding good spots to settle 4 cities pre 100 turns really close to other civs. what do u guys do? i always end up near aztecs which declare war lol now i have customized it so im not with them. should i be playing on an easier setting to actually win a game lol also what victory type do u guys generally go for and what civ?

Top Bottom