Newbie Questions - ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A new thread? Again?
Ah, well it saves me from reading all the other posts...

My question: Why does every single AI player keep moving units into my territory? Are they just trying to piss me of or are they just plain stupid and should I just ignore this, since they leave every time I ask them anyway??

Originally posted by Darkness

My question: Why does every single AI player keep moving units into my territory? Are they just trying to piss me of or are they just plain stupid and should I just ignore this, since they leave every time I ask them anyway??

The AI is always going to try to take advantage of you. I ignore it for the most part, but some ppl are really strict about it.

You can mess them by blocking their units and surrounding them. Also, since they're going to come anyway, why not sign a Right Of Passage with them so you can freely go in their territory?

I have a couple of questions :-

1) Hydro Plant vs Solar Plant

I notice that a Hydro Plant adds 50% to production and produces no pollution.
It costs 240 shields and can be built in the Industrial Age (after Electronics tech)

A Solar Plant also adds 50% to production and produces no pollution.
However, this costs 320 shields and can't be built until the Modern Age (after Ecology tech).

Does this mean in effect that Solar Plants should only be built in cities which do not have a river in their radius ? (which you need for Hydro Plant)

2) Courthouses and Police Stations

I seem to have noticed that Police Stations reduce the Waste in a city as well as the Corruption (and, according to the 'pedia, reduces war-weariness as well), whereas Courthouses only reduce Corruption - is this correct ?

If so, are they a good idea to enable your far-flung '1 shield' cities to actually produce something without needing to be rushed ?

Originally posted by Dran
I have a couple of questions :-

1) Hydro Plant vs Solar Plant

I notice that a Hydro Plant adds 50% to production and produces no pollution.
It costs 240 shields and can be built in the Industrial Age (after Electronics tech)

A Solar Plant also adds 50% to production and produces no pollution.
However, this costs 320 shields and can't be built until the Modern Age (after Ecology tech).

Does this mean in effect that Solar Plants should only be built in cities which do not have a river in their radius ? (which you need for Hydro Plant)
Yes. Or build or capture the Hoover Dam--it puts a hydro plant in all continental cities even if they don't have a river.

2) Courthouses and Police Stations

I seem to have noticed that Police Stations reduce the Waste in a city as well as the Corruption (and, according to the 'pedia, reduces war-weariness as well), whereas Courthouses only reduce Corruption - is this correct ?

If so, are they a good idea to enable your far-flung '1 shield' cities to actually produce something without needing to be rushed ?
It's correct. But if you have bunches of cities, you're only talking about 1 more shield. Usually the cost of courthouse/police station are prohibitive in those cities. But if you capture a city with them, then keep them cause needed improvements will be build in half the turns. A hospital in 80 instead of 160 turns with a courthouse. If the city has over 20 shields it gets another shield, too. So you can get up to 4 shields in a far-flung city.

I'm kindof new at this, I've read the last 5 pages of the newbie thread and found the answers to most of my questions.

but not this one: on my third game I decided to try a huge map. I can only talk to the first seven civs I met. what am I missing here? I'm sure it's compleetly obvious... but how do I talk to the other 9 civs?

:confused:

thank you Chieftess :D

but not this one: on my third game I decided to try a huge map. I can only talk to the first seven civs I met. what am I missing here? I'm sure it's compleetly obvious... but how do I talk to the other 9 civs?

In the diplomacy screen, hold shift and right click on a leader head. An option to switch a civ will show up. Also, in the game, you can hit shift-d to talk to all civilizations.

Was playing Rome last night on a small map, regent, everything else random. Built a nice tight bunch of 6 cities, found some iron, and turned the place into legionare-a-rama... took the Egyptians, then slapped the Americans around, ending up with about 12 good cities close to the Palace & FP, with 3 a bit further off (other side of an Iroquoi city), but held off getting out of despotism until i had finished slapping people around. I was sitting pretty earning 42 GPT, about 1100 GP stuffed under the bed, with science on four fifths of bugger-all, and decided to change to republic. This wiped out my life savings, to be expected, but when the republic started i had 12 GP in the bank, and was losing 68 per turn. Everything was down to nothing, but i was still selling temples, spearmen, legionares, probably even bean-pies per turn and getting told to watch the economy! What could i have done to bring the economy to at least break even? There was very little corruption, and less entertainers around than an N'sync concert. Yet i was still losing 68 GPT. What was going on there? Any ideas? I'm new to Regent and i'm like a dear with no eyes!

Luxury slider should be at least 10%
Science may need to come down to 50% or below.
If the tiles around your city are fully improved so that you are getting the advantage of Republic and you have courthouses and temples in all your cities, then I'd suggest your army size could be too large, republic is, what 1 gpt for each unit? I've never encountered a loss in income from a switch to republic from despotism other than the sliders needing adjusting, so I can't be sure what is wrong.

I think you just hit the nail on the head with the army. My sliders were as low as both of them will go, but alas, i was still fingered. I guess if i want to keep 10 million legionares then i'll have to go Monarchy (which i don't think i've ever done, not even in Civ 2), which will mean i might as well keep using the bastards until they've all gone to Elyssium. Do you go Monarchy much, what's the general consesis with it? If i want to stay with Republic, what do i do with all my little latin speaking knight fodder? By the way, tell those politicians there in Canberra running this country to give our farmers some bloody water! (aussie thing, disregard if ur from anywhere else!)

I let Johnny know and he's heading bush with a 2 litre bottled water.

I'm too much of a builder to use anything other than Republic then Democracy both as soon as I get them so can't tell you much on Monarchy govt.
If you've got a huge army there's no reason not to go for domination or conquest victories, keep fighting till you run out of legionaire. Of course if building a fleet is required or you want to be a builder for a while, disbanding excess units to rush improvements is always a good option.

I like Monarchy. I tend to stay in Monarchy or Democracy. Monarchy never goes to anarachy because of a long war like Democracy.
You should study up on the advantage/disadvantages of each government in the civilopedia. The game gives you lots of of information and you can see the effects of changing governments.

I'm no newbie by any stretch, but I have a situation I've never seen before -- the Greeks won't die. I have the "no re-spawn" setting selected in my game and I wiped out the last Greek city but they are still in the diplomacy screen. I can trade for the Greeks' world map (which would presumably show any Greek cities) but they are nowhere to be found. They aren't generating any income, so I presume they have no cities. My only guess is they must have launched a ship with a settler in it and are continuously floating around the 95% settled world looking for a new home.

Has anyone else ever seen this?

ok here's my shot : Is it possible to set manually the % land/mass coverage?
I've seen often on game reports reports map : 30% land etc..
Is this an estimation or they have set It manually? (in the pre-game menu)
thx

Alright, I'm not a noob but is important I know this for my upcoming SG: can tanks (and MI and MA and etc.) and such be loaded onto helicopters? I know they can't be airlifted, but can they go onto helicopters? And, if they can't, how can I set this in the editor?

Thanks alot.

CG

Originally posted by reagan
My only guess is they must have launched a ship with a settler in it and are continuously floating around the 95% settled world looking for a new home.

Has anyone else ever seen this?

I've heard of it happening many times. You can hit shift-L and look for the cities in bold. Those are the capitals. If they've built one it'll be there. Also, trade maps with everybody. You'll find them eventually. You can also get treaties to go to war with them from everyone and let the AIs take him out.

What is the ranking system on this site?

Originally posted by Lieutenant_Qc
ok here's my shot : Is it possible to set manually the % land/mass coverage?
I've seen often on game reports reports map : 30% land etc..
Is this an estimation or they have set It manually? (in the pre-game menu)
thx
Yes, you can set it in the pre-game menu. In the pre-game menu there are nine small pictures of maps: Pangaea 60% water, Pangaea 70% water, Pangaea 80% water, Continents 60% water, Continents 70% water, Continents 80% water, Archipelago 60% water, Archipelago 70% water, and Archipelago 80% water. The pictures with more water in them have the higher water %. Click on one of the maps to select it as the one that you want for your game.
Originally posted by King_Lewis
What is the ranking system on this site?
I assume you mean how do the titles under everyone's user names work? Here's something taken from the forum rules:

Each poster has a title shown below his/her username. The default titles are Chieftain, Warlord, Prince, King, Emperor, and Deity. The minimum postcounts required are listed below:

Chieftain (Minimum Posts: 0)
Warlord (Minimum Posts: 100)
Prince (Minimum Posts: 300)
King (Minimum Posts: 600)
Emperor (Minimum Posts: 1000)
Deity (Minimum Posts: 1500)

You can give yourself a custom title once you have 10 or more posts and have registered in the forum for at least 10 days.

That's the only ranking system I know of (not counting certain people being moderators, and Thunderfall being the administrator). Oh, and user titles mean absolutely nothing (besides some which say things like "administrator" or "demogame pres."). I guess the default ones are just a reward for typing lots of posts. Does that answer your question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom