Newbie Questions - Civ3

Chaz200

Chieftain
Lt. "Killer" M has been doing a wonderful job answering newbie questons. Having said that, I have a request. Instead of a sticky thread could a forum similar to Patch problems be created for newbie questions. The reason for this request is that it is so confusing trying to read through the quesitons. Since there is no logical order for questions and responses. Sometimes it is painful trying to figure out which response goes with which question. It would also provide a way for a newbie to scroll through the thread to see if the question has already been asked.

I used to enjoy coming to this site and reading through the threads and finding topics I am interested in. Since the Newbie thread has been created most of the threads in the General Discussions are either rants or some indepth aspect of the game. If a newbie question is asked in the General Discussions it peters out quickly because the questioner is told to post in the newbie questions. Which of course you cannot easily search through.

I just find it difficult to find any informatioin in the newbie thread and think a forum would be more useful.

I would agree, a whole forum for Newbie questions would also give an added advantage of the Mods being able to shunt newbie question threads that get started outside of the "newbie thread" into another forum, keeping the Civ3 General area open for "what is your favorite unit" polls and of course my lovely limericks.

Not going to happen. And if it does, I'm certainly not modding another forum. The mods here are busy enough. Adding another mod just to add another forum isn't necessary.

Also, experienced users aren't going to read through a forum to answer questions..and last I checked it's not hard to ask the question in the newbie thread, even if it has been asked it should still be answered. If killer gives you lip just come to me :lol: ;) :)

We could delete the newbie Q's thread and put up a "read the damn manual/FAQ" thread instead though ;)

Originally posted by gonzo_for_civ
Not going to happen. And if it does, I'm certainly not modding another forum. The mods here are busy enough. Adding another mod just to add another forum isn't necessary.

Also, experienced users aren't going to read through a forum to answer questions..and last I checked it's not hard to ask the question in the newbie thread, even if it has been asked it should still be answered. If killer gives you lip just come to me :lol: ;) :)

We could delete the newbie Q's thread and put up a "read the damn manual/FAQ" thread instead though ;)

as long as newbie Qs are asked in the newbie Qs thread I am happy to answer them 10,000 times!

Killer's doing a great job, I feel guilty I don't go there enough
:(

If you've a simple question, just ask in that thread. Nobody is expecting you to read thru the whole thread (and previous ones) just to check if the question's being asked before. ;)

However if you have a query that's more of a discussion nature, you shld start a new thread. And then we can all talk about it and begin splitting hairs...

And sometimes if the question in the newbie thread generates into a discussion, we can always start a new thread and carry it on over there... ;)

Yeah, Chaz200... that's pretty much how I felt when I first got here. I always tried to wade through all that stuff in order to find the answers to my questions - and it was frustrating.

So I tossed that strategy. Now, if I have a question, no matter how baisc or easy or whatever, I just go to Newbie Qs and ASK.
It's just that easy. Usually, my questions are answered within thirty minutes. And in spite of what Gonzo says, you'ld probably be surprised at all the experienced players that cruise through NQ (I think they like to show off their expertise :grad: ).

So with NQ: don't read - just ask!

Let me quote the first post of the Newbies thread:

Don't bother to read through the entire thread, just ask and there's lots of people willing to help.

'Nuff said. :)

Maybe Killer can include that info in the first post of the newbie thread... :)

The thing with a newbie thread, is that newbies would probably still post in the wrong forum so then their threads would have to be moved and then they wouldn't be able to find them...

Originally posted by Dell19
The thing with a newbie thread, is that newbies would probably still post in the wrong forum so then their threads would have to be moved and then they wouldn't be able to find them...
That newbie thread we're talking about is a permanent stickied thread in the Civ3 GD. There's no way someone can post a query in that thread and ended up in a 'wrong forum'. ;)

As a Newb to this forum I must take a moment to give praise. I have only just gotten here and can see that this is a Thriving Community.

I have long enjoyed the Civ games but never really got into the Other Site, not with PTW I have brushed off my Building Skills and am entering the Fray. Several Good Folks in the pregame gave this site as their HomeSite. Now I believe it will be mine too.

OmniNewb

See you in the Forum, and Thanks in Advance

Originally posted by Lt. 'Killer' M.

You quite rightly use the past tense here.

There will always be people that do not appreciate people that are serious with their efforts and deliver great work. I'm very sorry that you decided to let them influence you. I am certain that a big silent majority has been very happy with what you have done in these past months. In hope this is a comfort for you.

Aggie: I know of a few who appreciate and many who help. But if those who appreciate it cannot speak out I cannot be bothered. Simple as that. I have more important things to do, like finally getting the combat testing done (seems jungle defence bonus is not working properly), like getting my Sgs done, like getting my first ever TETurkhan WM game done, like RL working, to name a few......

btw, I will continue to help people like you, I'll simply PM you, but I don't want to see people like Willem benefitting from my knowledge anymore - period. Let them find the stuff themselves; I didn't spend my time, e.g. searchng the editor, for them, but for me and my friends.

The newbie thread is great. I get to help ppl out, and I get motivated to look into the details, so I get better out of it as well.

Top Bottom