Newbie to GOTM

Attack Condor

Chieftain
Having enjoyed Civ I way back in the PSX1 days, and very happy with CivIII (vanilla - I guess) I'm trying my first GOTM (#32). Copied an error message at the 37% load point; but happily found the mods necessary to get started: Many thanks to ainwood for the links.

I've rarely ventured beyond Regent, so don't expect a lot, but perhaps I can learn more about improving my play.

Already, I'm at the first turn - and very hesitant to do anything! (grin)

Ah well, let the fun begin.

Thanks again for those who take the time to put this site and info together.

I'm also a newbie--I've played CivIII for a while now, but have been trying to improve before taking on a GOTM. I tried my first GOTM (32) and just got smoked by the Iroquois in about 300 AD. Argh! How do I get better at this game? I can barely hold off the AIs on Warlord.

pipster said:
I'm also a newbie--I've played CivIII for a while now, but have been trying to improve before taking on a GOTM. I tried my first GOTM (32) and just got smoked by the Iroquois in about 300 AD. Argh! How do I get better at this game? I can barely hold off the AIs on Warlord.
Well, try looking through the spoiler threads here as to how people played it. Also, look in the Strategy and tips forum for some good articles on improving your game. :)

And another good way is to join a Succession Game (SG in short) where you play the game as a team. Each player plays 10 turns and between the turns the situation and strategy is discussed. You'll find that as a team you can easily play 1 or 2 levels higher. If you join the SGOTM you'll even be able to compare what your team did to others playing the exact same game!

pipster said:

I just finished my second COTM game. I don't claim to be the best player (heck in both COTM games the AI gave me a sound beating) but here are some of the lessons I learned while playing.

@ know your tribe: each tribe has his advantages and weaknesses
@ read every strategy article on this site
@ read every forum concerning strategy on this site
@ start playing on regent level: I don't think the civfanatics staff will distribute GOTM on the lower levels
@ Try to set initial small goals for your first GOTM games. Don't think about having the best score for your first game, set small but increasing goals for each game you play.

And a final piece of advice to learn the game: AFTER you submitted your GOTM, replay the game. Off course you now have advance knowledge, but by replaying the GOTM you can experiment and learn a lot about the game.

I was also new to the GOTM and didnt start doing them until COTM 1. I have improved a lot from others strategies. I never ventured above warlord. In COTM 1 which was Regent i go 2nd to last :). But now on COTM 2 which is Monarch (which i consider hard :) ) im doing a lot better and using new strategies. I made it into the Middle Ages in 400 BC. Which is my best ever. So i wish u luck and hope that you enjoy your time here.

Welcome to the forum, Attack Condor, pipster, and KingAlbert!

My advice to Warlord players is to simply focus on early conquest. Build a few cities then build a bunch of swordsmen or horsemen and pay a visit to your neighbors.

Seems like there are lots of new people lately. We probably make use of a 'virtual tour' and 'civ 101' threads. Maybe I'll take a stab at it after the GOTM.

Me too...me too...me too....

GOTM 32 was my first outing also...let's just say I hope my sophomore effort goes a little better. But this whole site (and community) has breathed new life into Civ3 (for me) and made it even more fun than before.

Thanks everybody!

Attack Condor said:
Having enjoyed Civ I way back in the PSX1 days, and very happy with CivIII (vanilla - I guess) I'm trying my first GOTM (#32). Copied an error message at the 37% load point; but happily found the mods necessary to get started: Many thanks to ainwood for the links.

I've rarely ventured beyond Regent, so don't expect a lot, but perhaps I can learn more about improving my play.

Already, I'm at the first turn - and very hesitant to do anything! (grin)

Ah well, let the fun begin.

Thanks again for those who take the time to put this site and info together.

hello! i'm new to gotm and civfanatics site but i'm playing civ3 for some time, now comfortably at monarch level after lessons in war academy :). I tried to play this gotm (#33) but i have the same error at 37% (something with eqworker.ini). What mods do i need to install to run the game. Thx

That's them. :) You will also need a new pediaicons.txt file, and that is included in the save file download for GOTM33.

You will need to swap your resources.pcx and resources_shadows.pcx files to the origianl Civ ones. The instructions for doing this are included in one of the download packs. Look in your civ3\art\ folder for something called something like 'readme - resources swapping.txt' or similar. Any problems, then let me know. :)

GOTM = Game Of The Month.

It is where approx. 100 people each play from the same starting save file, and compare notes in a friendly competition.

In order to allow PTW and Civ players to play the same game, the Civ players have a set of downloadable civs they can install that are broadly equivalent to the PTW ones. In the past, we have also had modded units as well.

We run two of these a month - we also ahve a completely unmodded C3C version. :)

ainwood said:
GOTM = Game Of The Month.

It is where approx. 100 people each play from the same starting save file, and compare notes in a friendly competition.

In order to allow PTW and Civ players to play the same game, the Civ players have a set of downloadable civs they can install that are broadly equivalent to the PTW ones. In the past, we have also had modded units as well.

We run two of these a month - we also ahve a completely unmodded C3C version. :)

Well, I know what is stands for :lol:

So all it is is that they play the same game, and whoever plays it best is the "winner"?

MSTK said:
Well, I know what is stands for :lol:

So all it is is that they play the same game, and whoever plays it best is the "winner"?
Largely. We use a modified scoring system so that the comparisons between the different victory types are a lot more realistic - so that a 'perfect' spaceship victory (in theory) scores about the same as a 'perfect' conquest or domination victory (and the plus is that the need to milk to get a high score is largely removed). :)

My 1st GOTMwas COTM01. I got the lowest high score for conquest win. #169 of 180.
So it's only up from there.

Note 90% of my game have been PtW. But I can win with conquest.

My 2nd GOTM was GOTM32 UN Vote, I got #72 of ?100+

I have also won COTM02 by UN Vote, GOTM33 by Spaceship.

GOTM is harder than game your computer make.
They're not as hard as multi player games (NO AI Just Humans who know how to play).

EDIT: Open class

Top Bottom