[NEWCIV] Indonesia (module)

veBear

Slumerican Citizen
INDONESIAN CIVILIZATION FOR BTS! (Click to download)

¡V2 IS UP!
What's new about v2?
- A new leaderhead: Dharmasetu (thanks to Den)
- Improved (shadered) LH graphics: Hayam and Suharto (thanks to Den and me)
- Some text bug corrections

Civilopedia:
Spoiler :

Their Capital (with UU and UB present)
Spoiler :

LHs:
Dharmasetu (Expansive/Financial) - NEW IN V2
Spoiler :

Hayam Wuruk (Aggressivel/Imperialistic)
Spoiler :

Suharto (Financial/Industrious)
Spoiler :

UU:
Pencak Silat (Pikeman)
Same strenght as Maceman, though no bigger bonus against Cavalry Units
Spoiler :

UB:
Candi (Theatre)
+ 4 :culture:
+ 1 :) (does not need dye)
+ 25% :culture:
Spoiler :

Install by putting into your:
Beyond the Sword/Mods/YOUR MOD NAME/Assets/Modules/CustomCivilizations

Remember to rate and download!

Enjoy :king:

-----------------------------------------

Credits:
- Bakuel for his Unit
- Whoever made the building for the building
- The Almighty dF for LH personalities
- Me for putting this together
- Den9510 for his/her Gajah Mada LH (used as Dharmasetu, coming in v2)

I like it, except for Suharto.. he's a very evil man, then again I suppose its for historical accuracy. Why not some of the old sultans?

Because he, like Stalin and Mao and to some degree also Hitler, were sucsessfull. It's not for accuracy, but for the fact that he modernized the nation. And if I were to add a third leader, it would not be one of the Sultans, but rather Dharmasetu. Thanks for the positive response guys :)

Congratulation on the Indonesian Civilization release !!!
I have something to add though, firstly, I wonder where did you get the source for that flag, as I've never seen such flag before :) Is it from Majapahit's flag ?
There is never a realm named Indonesian Empire before, what existed is Indonesian Republic, as the name Indonesia was used around the time of Youth Oath (October 28, 1928) is, if I'm not mistaken. All previous are using the name of each Kingdom's like Srivijayan Maritime Empire, Gowa-Tallu Kingdom, and such. Why I think this is a bit important, because you won't either find Italian Empire for the time of Roman Empire or Tunisian Empire for the time when Carthage rules Northern Africa, no ? Anyway, it's just a small advice from a little Indonesian people :)
I could help a bit with the Information if you're going to make a second version or such, off course, if you permit me to do so ..
But this is amazing ! Thanks for making Indonesian Civilization ! I love this ! :)
-BenZL43-

*adding a bit information, just noticed that in the Information Screen for Pencak Silat, there's a mistype of Martial into Martal. Thanks :)*

I know that there have never been an Indonesian Empire before, though I wanted to put it in a Civ4 readable format with just the brief history overlook. I chose Indonesian Empire generally to link it with what people know as Indonesia and include its whole history, and the symbol is the Majapahit Sun. I will keep the Indonesian Empire name, though if you would like it otherwise, then feel free to change it through some easy XML work. If I were to follow your exact instructions I would have to part up the Civ in Indonesia and Majapahit, which could be compeared with parting England into England (Elizabeth) and United Kingdom (Winston Churchill and Victoria), something I guess you would not do. Anyway, I wrote the text as I did mainly so it could be understood by everybody and parted Indonesias history into four main periods: Sri Vijaya, Majapahit, Sultanates and Dutch Occupation and Modern Indonesia, mainly so it could be easely understood. The text is therefore "done" as there are a few corrections I will have to do in the future, but have been to lazy to do for a while now.

I hope this explains my use of flag and name, and thanks for the positive feedback from you to, and that text-bug will be corrected as soon as I stop being lazy ;)

You misspelled Strength in the Pencak Silat Pedia entry. :)

I'll correct that too when I have time, thanks :)

Good stuff here veBear. Once I get around to it I'll edit this to fit into Diplomacy II. Which really only involves adding some extra XML tags, but another important thing is flavored units, which is why I am here...

Didn't you mention in one of Bakuel's threads that you are creating Indonesian flavored units? Firstly; do you need help? Secondly, when do you plan on finishing them. You know DII, Indonesia can't make it in without flavored units. :goodjob:

Well, I have to finish my Khorosan Civ first (Libya can wait). Afterwords I will start on the Indonesia-units.

Just a small question. Will DII have the era-flag change as a selectable option or not? And a request I have is to make the Korea-colour more similar to the Button, as the one they currently have looks more like the Indonesian than the Korean :hammer2:

Just a small question. Will DII have the era-flag change as a selectable option or not? And a request I have is to make the Korea-colour more similar to the Button, as the one they currently have looks more like the Indonesian than the Korean :hammer2:

No, era-flag changes are unselectable. They are just going to be there.

The Korean flag was changed to match the button I have. It does match. At least in my BtS it does. I'll fix it so it forces the button to match though.

I know that there have never been an Indonesian Empire before, though I wanted to put it in a Civ4 readable format with just the brief history overlook. I chose Indonesian Empire generally to link it with what people know as Indonesia and include its whole history, and the symbol is the Majapahit Sun. I will keep the Indonesian Empire name, though if you would like it otherwise, then feel free to change it through some easy XML work. If I were to follow your exact instructions I would have to part up the Civ in Indonesia and Majapahit, which could be compeared with parting England into England (Elizabeth) and United Kingdom (Winston Churchill and Victoria), something I guess you would not do. Anyway, I wrote the text as I did mainly so it could be understood by everybody and parted Indonesias history into four main periods: Sri Vijaya, Majapahit, Sultanates and Dutch Occupation and Modern Indonesia, mainly so it could be easely understood. The text is therefore "done" as there are a few corrections I will have to do in the future, but have been to lazy to do for a while now.

I hope this explains my use of flag and name, and thanks for the positive feedback from you to, and that text-bug will be corrected as soon as I stop being lazy ;)

Well.. I'm sorry. I don't want to insult you..
okay it's understandable.. thanks a lot for the Civ and the Explanation :)

No offense taken at all :)

Hi, does this new civ come with sounds? Or is it re-using the Khmer ones?
Bahasa Indonesia would be perfect of course, but what about Javanese unit sounds?
Being Indonesian Chinese, I hate the inclusion of Suharto (and will promptly mod him out), no offense to your otherwise outstanding work. INstead I'd like to re-mod it into Majapahit with Gajah Mada (I'm sure there are suitable LHs to use, some sort of beardless, SE Asian Kublai).

bestest regards

Well, I understand Suharto, but then I think you should mod out Stalin too, as he too were sucsessfull, but not really a nice leader. Anyway, for this to be modular, I can not include sounds. For now, it only uses Khmer ones.

I think Suharto is too current of a leader, considering his term just ended 2 years ago, not, to mention you gave him, considered my many, the best Traits in the game (Financial/Industrious).
A little too good for a "new civ".
It sounds like Suharto might be more of a [AGG/FIN] type of leader. Still very good traits.

Well, he were not that aggressive at all, so that does not fit. The traits is more based on the fact that he in a 'stalin way of ruling' pretty much led his country into a more industrialized state. If you want to complain about traits, then talk to The Almighty dF, as he made the personalities, and I agree with his choices. And BTW, the most powerful trait combo is not Fin/Ind, but Phi/Ind... and that is the most natural choice for Solomon.

Well, he were not that aggressive at all, so that does not fit. The traits is more based on the fact that he in a 'stalin way of ruling' pretty much led his country into a more industrialized state. If you want to complain about traits, then talk to The Almighty dF, as he made the personalities, and I agree with his choices. And BTW, the most powerful trait combo is not Fin/Ind, but Phi/Ind... and that is the most natural choice for Solomon.

I suppose any leader's aggressive trait possibility could be debatable.
I read information on him like: "...joining the newly formed Indonesian army. Suharto rose to the rank of Major General following Indonesian independence. An attempted coup on 30 September 1965." and "Indonesia's 24-year occupation of East Timor during Suharto's presidency, resulted in at least 100,000 deaths. In the years after his presidency, attempts to try him on charges of corruption and genocide failed because of his poor health."
So, he doesn't come accross as a nice guy.

Aside from mods, [IND/PHI] is not available in the normal game thru BTS, so, I was not including it.

If one is going to use more current Leaders though, why not add more for many of the current countries?
I am sure one can create a FIN leader for Japan to represent the post-WW2 economy and benefits of Sony, Toyota and others, or the US could add Ronald Reagan which many consider a great leader.
It would seem to be out of step with the "feel" of the game.

Indonesia has a very long history of early island exploration and settlement and fishing.
Even some parts of South America teach that they were first settled by Indonesians.
I am surprised to see This Empire, Not have a UU that is a naval unit.
Of all of Civ4's Empires, Indonesia, the nation of islands, one would think would have a decient naval unit to bring to the game.
A workboat that moves 3, so, it can reach and beging using a fish tile 2 spaces away from the city.
Or a galley that can cross oceans, similar to the Portugues, but, earlier.
Either could be used for early scouting too.
It would seem to make since to have their leaders and Empire somehow represent this.
I think that would be the best contribution Indonesia could bring to Civ4.

I suppose any leader's aggressive trait possibility could be debatable.
I read information on him like: "...joining the newly formed Indonesian army. Suharto rose to the rank of Major General following Indonesian independence. An attempted coup on 30 September 1965." and "Indonesia's 24-year occupation of East Timor during Suharto's presidency, resulted in at least 100,000 deaths. In the years after his presidency, attempts to try him on charges of corruption and genocide failed because of his poor health."
So, he doesn't come accross as a nice guy.

Aside from mods, [IND/PHI] is not available in the normal game thru BTS, so, I was not including it.

Many did indeed die under his reign, but what his 'New Order' was all about were strenghtening Indonesias economy and Industry, therefor Ind/Fin. Besides we already have a Aggressive leader (hayam) and in an update we will have an expansive, trading-loving leader. Suharto is more of the cautious, block all out and manage by yourself and spam spies type of leader. Enough said.

If one is going to use more current Leaders though, why not add more for many of the current countries?
I am sure one can create a FIN leader for Japan to represent the post-WW2 economy and benefits of Sony, Toyota and others, or the US could add Ronald Reagan which many consider a great leader.
It would seem to be out of step with the "feel" of the game.

For modern and greater leaders, I can see none who stand out for Japan, and myself I do not like the idea of Reagan, though I think Gorbatchev is an outstanding leader for Soviet and Einer Gerhardsen and Gro Harlem Brundtland a must for Norway. Generally, most nations have not had that outstanding leaders recently, but Indonesia is one of them. Therefore we have Suharto

Indonesia has a very long history of early island exploration and settlement and fishing.
Even some parts of South America teach that they were first settled by Indonesians.
I am surprised to see This Empire, Not have a UU that is a naval unit.
Of all of Civ4's Empires, Indonesia, the nation of islands, one would think would have a decient naval unit to bring to the game.
A workboat that moves 3, so, it can reach and beging using a fish tile 2 spaces away from the city.
Or a galley that can cross oceans, similar to the Portugues, but, earlier.
Either could be used for early scouting too.
It would seem to make since to have their leaders and Empire somehow represent this.
I think that would be the best contribution Indonesia could bring to Civ4.

Lets compare this to the other nations UU's
Portuguese Carracks
- Significant in it's history - yes
- A unit that helped the nation in it's rise to glory - yes
- Unique to that civilization only - partly
Persian Immortals
- Unique to that civilization only - yes
Roman Praetorian