1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

News: 6otM 01: Announcement - Civ6 Game 01

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, Oct 31, 2016.

1. trojan13

trojan13 Chieftain

I've been longtime lurker in civfanatic here. Upon the release of CIVI, I gladly participate in GotM for strategy comparison/discussion.

Can we get a list of exploits in the opening thread? I was almost about to sell the builder (bad habbit from the last game) then stopped the game and came here cuz it's gotm.

2. Xger

Xger Prince

The banned exploit seems to be cheesing the unit selling system (so the builder one, or the buying someone just to sell it, or making units just to sell). Here are the quotes:
    Second half of Leif's response was to my question

3. Ribannah

Ribannah Fighter Druid

You can also buy a Great Work from the AI for 1 gold. I passed on the opportunity.

4. UnforcedError

UnforcedError Settler

Well, I will pass on playing until the list of exploits is actually posted. I personally don't think that unit selling in itself is an exploit, as long as you don't get more cogs back from the exchange you originally invested (e.g. buying ships and selling them as armadas). Even the builder exploit is questionable as their price goes up with each unit you build. So you don't actually get 7 builder tasks at the price of 6, as some people believe. However, being able to sell a unit you don't need anymore and buying one from the money on the other side of your empire is one of the reasons I prefer this game to the static Civ 5 or BE editions. It gives you the flexibility of Civ 4 but with better graphics, two new tech trees, the whole boost system, the idea of city districts etc. etc. Yes, it needs fine tuning. But I hope they keep rush selling and rush buying a valid option. Not a broken one of course, as it is today with Scythia.

5. philipmv

philipmv Chieftain

Thanks Leif and thanks CivFanatics for hosting this. I've also been a longtime lurker of CivFanatics and haven't been active in posting or Civving since playing Civ3 in 2004-2005. (But I did have a quick stint with Civ5 when G&K came out, and strangely have memories playing it as the U.S. presidential election took place. Now I find the same thing happening to me this election cycle...)

I quickly downloaded Civ6 as soon as it was available for Mac and feel like GOTM is a great way to learn quickly and participate in the community and not be a lurker anymore. CivFanatics is being whitelisted from my ad blocker (now that I am visiting regularly again for the first time since 2004).

Let's go, Trajan.

6. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

This is discouraging. The game has been out for barely over two weeks and, somehow, I am supposed to produce a list of banned exploits? We cannot possibly know what they all are and what effect they have on game play.

As I posted earlier, this is a friendly competition in which we will learn about the game and the exploits. I think we need to be reasonable and work together to assess what the exploits are and what effect they have on the game. All I ask is that you do not abuse the AI with obvious issues.

7. UnforcedError

UnforcedError Settler

No, I didn't mean that. But I saw others mentioning the unit selling issues, and I figured if I use unit selling I might not be playing fair.

8. leif erikson

Sorry if I misunderstood.

As I understand the unit selling issue, it is specifically producing units, such as Scythian Horsemen, to sell for a profit. Selling an obsolete unit is, imnsho, in the spirit of the game. Mass producing bonus units to create a cash machine is not. That is what I mean by being reasonable in one's approach to the game.

As you play, I think we should encourage players to save the game in places where they think they could exploit something and, after finishing their game for record, go back and test for exploits. These should be reported in the bugs thread under the General Discussions forum.

9. pontias

pontias Warlord

Hopefully some people remember me. . . It's been a while.
    Looking forward to trying - this will be my first civ 6 game though.

Hopefully someone will video their attempt.

10. leif erikson

11. Acken

Acken Deity

Regarding trade.
    Its somewhat difficult to really put a barrier on where exactly the exploiting begins because the AI often offers nonsensical deals with stuff I don't want or that I don't want to give. By playing around the algorithm just fails.
    I've personally gone by these rules until Firaxis fixes their non-sense trade algorithm :
    -Buying Arts/Relics at 1Gold is not fine.
    -You can sell Luxuries and strategics.

12. niicfromlozane

niicfromlozane Chieftain

I purchased the game on app store.

I found the assets folder but can t find where the save file is. If someone can help me…

13. leif erikson

On my PC, it is located at:
    D:\Documents\my games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Saves\Single

Exactly, how do we create a rule to cover this?

Not that I am opening a rules discussion in the Announcement thread. :)

14. elitetroops

elitetroops Deity

It seems that the really ridiculous deals are only triggered by the "make this deal more equitable" and "what would you give me for this" buttons. So far I haven't seen the AI accept any clearly unfair deals just by putting stuff on the table to see what deal they would accept, except in the case of relics/art. When I play this GOTM, I won't use the buttons that can give unfair deals and avoid buying relics/art altogether. I think this should be pretty safe. Alternatively, I think it's also safe to once ask "what would you give me for this" or "make this deal more equitable", though I'm not 100% sure on this.

If they want to give a relic to me in a peace deal, this is fine.

Another thing that should be banned is buying cities from the AI. Again, accepting cities in a peace deal is fine, but buying cities for x gold/turn is massively exploitable, no matter how high x is.

What do people think about selling great people? They sell at 2 gold/GPP cost of acquiring them. In a science victory you have to plow through a lot of great people and will get many that you can't/don't want to use. Passing is not an option if the AI would be too slow to pick it up and make the next GP available. Is it okay to disband Great People and receive the gold, or is this an exploit? Personally, I would allow this. Great people are supposed to be "great" and come with rewards. By the time you have too many of them, the amounts of gold you receive isn't that significant in any case. Usually the gain in gold is way less than the gain you can get from other great people of the same era. For example, an industrial era great person would sell for 840 or 1090 gold. This isn't even enough to buy one factory. An industrial era Great Engineer can give you free factory+workshop AND boost the production of all your factories. The reward of selling is very minor compared to this.

RaidandTrade and avl8 like this.
  15. Acken

Acken Deity

The way I see it regarding trade is that until there is a clear ruling its somewhat fair game to do whatever you want. Only being able to click what would you give for this is a possible ruling although it limits options. Another is to have a maximum value for ressources.

I dont see a problem with selling GP either.

16. elitetroops

elitetroops Deity

I guess you didn't see the T66 deity science victory I played by maximising trade abuse. :rolleyes: The trading bug is currently by a large margin the worst exploit in the game, if consciously abused. But I agree that writing a rule for it is somewhat tricky. Only being able to click "what would you give" once is bad indeed, and manually adjusting the offer to find best value is also annoying. Our best bet is that there will be a patch soon that fixes the bug. Other than that... eh, stick with common sense and don't agree to deals that are clearly unbalanced.

17. Acken

Acken Deity

Sure in your example its clearly overboard. I guess you kept reselling and buying a relic ?

In the current Gotm I have had mostly sells for 6-7gpt for a luxury iirc. Which isnt that crazy from civ5 240gold values. I considered that fine.

Either way... game is so broken I am not sure Ill play it much more before a patch.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  18. stormtrooper412

stormtrooper412 Peacemongering Turtlesaur

Alright I've been waiting for this :)

19. Acken

Acken Deity

Sadly its not guaranteed ill bother before deity becomes interesting to play. There are a lot of tips to talk about though so it may be interesting to comment 100 turns at the least.

20. tmarcl

tmarcl Prince

One thing I do worry about is those people, like me, who are experiencing late game CTDs no matter what we do. I'm downloading the save and will try it, but I'm not going to bother recording, as I know my game is going to CTD some time in the Renaissance to Modern era. If nothing else I can learn more about the earlier game.

This isn't a criticism of the idea - I think it's a great one - more of a heads up to those experiencing the issue.