1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

News: 6otm 20 Announcement

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by Knowtalent, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Knowtalent

Knowtalent Chieftain GOTM Staff

Civilization VI - Game of the Month 20
    Welcome to the 18th game in the 6OTM Series! These games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out the new features in Civ6 in a friendly environment. Participants are encouraged to post questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads (described below). Each game will specify the Civ you will play and the Victory Condition to strive for. We will be working to refine the 6otM concept as we move ahead with the series.
    Must Read!
    This is where you will start gotm20.jpg
    Kongo Unique Attributes:The Kongolese civilization ability is "Nkisi," which gives them +2 Food, +2 ; Production, and +4 Gold from each Relic, Artifact, and Sculpture, doubles the Great Writer, Great Artist, Great Musician, and Great Merchant points they earn, and allows their Palace to hold five Great Works. Their unique unit is the Ngao Mbeba (which replaces the Swordsman), and their unique district is the Mbanza (which replaces the Neighborhood).
    Spoiler :
    Special Ability:
    Unique AbilityReligious Convert may not build Holy Site districts, gain Great Prophets, or found a religion. However, he gains all beliefs of any religion that has established itself in a majority of his cities and receives an Apostle (of that city's majority religion) each time he finishes a M'banza or Theater Square district in one of his cities.
    Unique District: M'banza replaces the Neighborhood available with Guilds. Must be in a rainforest or woods. +5 Housing +2 Food +4 gold regardless of the tiles appeal
    Unique Unit: Ngao Mbeba is a unique melee unit of the Kongolese civilization. It replaces the Swordsman. It suffers no sight or movement penalties in woods or rainforests. receives a defensive bonus against ranged attacks, also does not require Iron to buils

Information about threads associated with each individual 6otM -- Must Read if you are new to our Game of the Month!
    Spoiler :
    Please note: If you wish to make a video of your game, please do not post any links to it until after the game submission date has passed. This is because of the potential spoilers that are created by posting before the end date. Thank you for your cooperation.
    Announcement thread (this one): This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Once you have opened the save, DO NOT POST in the Announcement thread, even non game-related information. Instead use the next thread.
    Opening Actions thread: This thread is used to discuss the game's opening decisions and strategies through the first 100 or so turns. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. We encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshot. During the time the game is active, please do not post any information concerning the game outside of the spoiler threads including screen shots, videos, or recorded/live-cast Let's Plays on other websites.
    After Actions thread: In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state your victory/loss date and final score (preferably in the post title) and describe your path to glory in this post! Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after one month, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.
    Results and Congratulations thread: We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the one month submission period (sorted by date and score). We will issue medals to the top 3 winners (based on earliest date finished). There are no long-term records kept for these results, they are just given out to top finishers to reward their efforts.

File Upload System
    In development.

This game runs for a month and ends September 2, 2017.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  2. Katakanja

Katakanja Warlord

I was just thinking of playing a game as Kongo, so I will give this a try :goodjob:

I think.... settle in place, or perhaps one tile southeast if I scout anything interesting just to the south with my warrior. In fact now that I think about it more, southeast might be a good idea so i can settle another close city at the bend in the river above the two gems. We shall see!

Score victory, interesting. Its a bit at odds with Kongo, since they kind of encourage going tall by Civ VI standards, but the best way to max out score is to go for lots of cities. Are great works worth a lot of points? That's something I've never paid attention too, and obviously Kongo would be able to get plenty of them.

Tribal villages are off, so scouting quickly isn't important beyond finding any good settling spots nearby. That will free up a few turns worth of production I guess. :think:

3. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Chieftain

Anyone give me an idea of how the score is calculated.
    250 turns is too much so that you're sure to have researched all techs and civics, built all wonders, recruited all GPs. Since you play as Kongo so no religion is enabled, so, do Mvenbas count as scores?

4. Katakanja

Katakanja Warlord

There was some discussion about this in the last score GOTM, and someone linked to a breakdown IIRC

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/6otm-12-announcement.613380/

It should be somewhere in there or perhaps the opening actions thread for 12, I might have a hunt for the specific posts later. :)

5. MIS

MIS Chieftain

I saw this:

"If I'm reading the various score stuff right, scoring is as follows: Civics – 2 each; Empire – 5xCites + 3xDistricts + 1xPopulation; Great People – 3 each; Religion – 2 each (so 10 max I think); Technology – 2 each; Wonders – 5 each"

6. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Chieftain

I see. Since Civics, Wonders, GPs and Techs actually do not make any difference(You're sure to have all of them), as Kongo cannot earn Religion, the only factor is Empire. Do Mvenbas count for points?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  7. Katakanja

Katakanja Warlord

Do you mean M'banzas? That score formula includes districts, so I imagine they count towards that.

Also, the post that was being referenced for the score details in the other GOTM was this one -

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/score-s-calculations.603919/

8. Vlad Dracula

Vlad Dracula Chieftain

I may go SE one tile as well.I'll send the warrior up the hill to get a look.Their unique district is going to cut down on chopping :(.

9. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Chieftain

Having 80 cities, each with at least 3 Mvenbas(since this one is the cheapest district and can be built multiple times) and 2 other districts with ~15pop seems reasonable.

(I imagine late-game cities may cost as much as a Spaceport)

There're ~700 points from GP\Tech\Wonders, 35*80=2800, that's 3,500 pts.

What is point record on standard map?

10. Greenlami

Greenlami Chieftain

Score victory is a first for me, looks fun! Kongo is also quite unique , haven't pleyed it yet, can't wait to try!

11. Falabello

Falabello Chieftain

SCORE: 3xDistricts...

Does anybody know if the buildings of Districts count some points? For example: Libraries, Universities, Banks...

12. Reckoner

Reckoner Chieftain

Interesting settings, thanks!
    Though with all victory conditions turned off, you don't get any information in the victory screens.

I'm pretty sure they don't.
    My question - Do districts & wonders in conquered cities get points for the new owner?

13. Katakanja

Katakanja Warlord

Score victory is turned on this time so you can see how you are doing relative to the other civs, as opposed to the last score GOTM where there was no VC at all, which made it more mysterious but also meant you got a defeat screen at the end of the game regardless of how well you did :lol:

14. WildeComputers

WildeComputers Chieftain

Since Kongo is unable to found a religion, I am still thinking a pantheon would be necessary. Only, which one? One that provides some faith per turn, great person points per turn or the 10% growth? Doesn't Kongo also inherit the pantheon belief of the dominate religion in their cities?

15. Monthar

Monthar Chieftain

The After Action thread is missing.

16. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Chieftain

17. elitetroops

elitetroops Chieftain

According to Civilopedia Future Tech and Future Civic should count multiple times. At least that's how I understand the description.

18. Katakanja

Katakanja Warlord

That's right, but the score breakdown would suggest they only award 2 points each, each time you research them, so doesn't seem to me to be a priority to burn through the entire tech/civic tree. The focus should be on settling new cities and keeping their built districts constantly at the population cap.

Tech and civic points will just be a side effect of having plenty of theatre squares and campuses, I think that's what Lily Lancer is getting at.

19. kb27787

kb27787 Chieftain

I suppose waiting for the AI to build districts for you to keep the costs down might be wise... (although on prince I wonder if they are actually capable of doing that well) anyone know how much great ppl and wonders add to the score?

20. Katakanja

Katakanja Warlord

It says wonders are 5, which means they are equivalent to a new city, and great people are 3, which means they are equivalent to a district. Given the relative effort of building a wonder versus building a settler, it would be wiser just to conquer any AI built wonders than spending time constructing them yourself, at least until the map has filled up and its harder to find spots for new cities.