News: 6otM57 Announcement

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Civilization VI - Game of the Month 57

Welcome to the 57th game in the 6OTM Series, and the first game in the Gathering Storm expansion! These games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out the new features in Civ6 in a friendly environment. Participants are encouraged to post questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads (described below). Each game will specify the Civ you will play and the Victory Condition to strive for. We will be working to refine the 6otM concept as we move ahead with the series. Gifting of cities is an exploit in a religious VC as the AI cant see that it will lose if it accepts the cities.

Must Read!
We would like to ask you to abide by our most sacred rule: Don’t replay any turns! If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. To ensure fair play and prevent results exclusions, please set your Autosaves to 1 turn. In the event of a computer crash while playing, just reload to the previous save and play it as closely to how you played it the first time. Please let Leif know (via Conversation (Private Message)) if you experienced a crash and how many turns you replayed.

Civ VI - 6otM 57 Details:
Player (You): - Kupe - Maori
Victory Condition
: Culture but all other VCs are enabled.
Difficulty: Emperor
Civs/City-States
(including player): 8/12
Map Type/Size: Island Plates/Standard Size
Game pace: Standard
Disaster Intensity: 2

Game options:
Start - Ancient Era
Enabled - Barbarians and Tribal Villages

Game Version:
This game was created in Civ6 Gathering Storm version 1.0.0.290.
Game Requirements: vanilla version of Civilization VI with Rise and Fall and Gathering Storm expansions. No other dlc is required.

Here is where you will start:
6otM_57_Start.jpg

Kupe's Unique Attributes:

Spoiler :
Kupe's Special Ability: Kupe's Voyage: Begin the game in an Ocean tile. Gain a free Builder and +1 Population when settling your first city. The Palace receives +3 Housing and +1 Amenity. +2 Science and +2 Culture per turn before you settle your first city.

Unique Ability
: Mana: Begin the game with the Sailing and Shipbuilding technologies unlocked and with the ability to enter Ocean tiles. Embarked units gain +2 movement. Unimproved Woods and Rainforests are +1 Production, becoming +2 once the Conservation civic is unlocked. Fishing Boats provide +1 Food and Culture Bomb to adjacent tiles. Resources cannot be harvested. Great Writers cannot be earned.

Unique Unit: Toa: Maori unique Classical era melee unit. Adjacent enemy units receive -5 Combat Strength. Can build a Pa. Requires the knowledge of Construction to build them and does not requiring a resource.

Unique Infrastructure: Marae: A building unique to the Maori. +2 Culture and Faith to all of this city's tiles with a passable feature or natural wonder. After Flight is researched, receive +2 Tourism to all of this city's tiles with a feature or natural wonder. Costs no maintenance. Has no Great Works slots. Requires the Civic of Drama and Poetry to build them and requires a Theater Square district.

Additional Infrastructure: Pa: Unlocks the Toa ability to construct Pa, unique to the Maori. Occupying unit receives +4 Defense Strength and automatically gains 2 turns of fortification. A Maori unit occupying a Pa heals even if they just moved or attacked. Requires a Toa unit to build them.

Information about threads associated with each individual 6otM -- Must Read if you are new to our Game of the Month!
Please note: If you wish to make a video of your game, please do not post any links to it until after the game submission date has passed. This is because of the potential spoilers that are created by posting before the end date. Thank you for your cooperation.

Spoiler :
Announcement thread (this one): This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Once you have opened the save, DO NOT POST in the Announcement thread, even non game-related information. Instead use the next thread.

Opening Actions thread: This thread is used to discuss the game's opening decisions and strategies through the first 100 or so turns. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. We encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshot. During the time the game is active, please do not post any information concerning the game outside of the spoiler threads including screen shots, videos, or recorded/live-cast Let's Plays on other websites.

After Actions thread: In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state your victory/loss date and final score (preferably in the post title) and describe your path to glory in this post! Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after one month, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

File Upload System
In development.

This game runs for a month and ends March 15th, 2019.

The save is attached below .

Attachments

• 6otM57_Culture_Maori_4000 BC.Civ6Save
    547.4 KB · Views: 619
Last edited:
From what i've observed in a few test-start (no test game but test the early game) Maori are quite luck-dependent as moving east or west on T1 can put you on vastly different lands.
Looks like there's a coast to the east and another one NW so probably Warrior NW and then Settler east (unless warrior reveals something great. It's impossible to plan anything beyond that point.
Interesting Civ anyway but i suspect there will be a huge range of results and i'm curious to see if the results are heavily dependent on T1.

Thanks Leif, looks great. Unfortunately I need to sort out some gameplay issues before I dive into GS GoTM:- I am getting black-screen crashes after 1 - 2 hours play and am yet to finish a game session "normally". Hopefully just a graphics issue:- I have sent reports to Firaxis when prompted.

The perfect Meet-Everyone-By-Turn 50 Civ. Someone might crack 100 on this one.

In my opinion, the Maori is probably the worst civilization for a quick CV since they cannot acquire GWs.
The only exception might be if you are going for a Kandy/Reliquaries cheese at a low difficulty level on a water map.

In my opinion, the Maori is probably the worst civilization for a quick CV since they cannot acquire GWs.
The only exception might be if you are going for a Kandy/Reliquaries cheese at a low difficulty level on a water map.

You can't earn them but I think you can still capture and trade for them. Or am I wrong there?

My practice game had the City State that gives you +1 Great Person points for buildings! Maximum sadness.....

This will be interesting. No great writers will really change the game for a cultural victory.

I hope that I roll the dice correctly....

You can't earn them but I think you can still capture and trade for them. Or am I wrong there?

I suppose you could, however...
-AIs rarely go for early theater squares, except a few specific AIs (Peter, Gorgo, Pericles, ...)
-The marae (Maori unique amphitheater) has no GWoW slots. So you would need to build wonders with GWoW slots if you want more than one slot (from palace). This is a no dlc game, so no Apadana. The Great Library is the only early wonder with GWoW slots (2).
-Even if you conquer cities with amphitheaters, they will be converted to marae (with no slots) upon conquest.

Well the Marae are the whole point and they actually seem very overpowered. @DanQuayle do you think their ability comes in too late?

I suppose you could, however...
-AIs rarely go for early theater squares, except a few specific AIs (Peter, Gorgo, Pericles, ...)
-The marae (Maori unique amphitheater) has no GWoW slots. So you would need to build wonders with GWoW slots if you want more than one slot (from palace). This is a no dlc game, so no Apadana. The Great Library is the only early wonder with GWoW slots (2).
-Even if you conquer cities with amphitheaters, they will be converted to marae (with no slots) upon conquest.

You can get GWoW through alternate means, I've found, because I got The Art of War and traded for one also. Not significant enough to justify a Printing push though.

Yes, you can get them but as DanQuayle said, you can't store them unless you build some wonders specifically for that which might not be worth the trouble given you can't produce Great Writings easily.

The Marae is pretty strong to give Culture and Faith but they start producing Tourism only after Flight. For me it makes T100 completely impossible but i don't know how early the best exploiters can get flight :dunno:
Then they depend on having a lot of forests/jungles. If you need to plant forests you definitely won't have T100 win.

Yes, you can get them but as DanQuayle said, you can't store them unless you build some wonders specifically for that which might not be worth the trouble given you can't produce Great Writings easily.

The Marae is pretty strong to give Culture and Faith but they start producing Tourism only after Flight. For me it makes T100 completely impossible but i don't know how early the best exploiters can get flight :dunno:
Then they depend on having a lot of forests/jungles. If you need to plant forests you definitely won't have T100 win.

You can temporarily put one GWoW in your capitol, but GWoW are definitely not going to be Kupe's main CV fuel. Which means Printing isn't your beeline temptation. A Flight beeline seems slow, like you mentioned, to pair with your Marae. Hmmmm.....

I love it. An expansion Civ that challenges preconceptions. So far, very pleased with Gathering Storm.

Sadly just got to play the new release yesterday, so still trying to understand how the new system works. Definitely surprised by new grievance system and hate the new trading. Really wish I could say I want to trade X and it would show me who will give the most for it and not the insane every turn or two someone wanting to trade for a small amount of resources for less than they are worth.

I really love this concept with no Great Writers, so hope to start on this GOTM next weekend.

Funny, for my first GS test game I actually started a Kupe game with the same options, but with all victories enabled. :lol:

I guess I can use it as a good training exercise for this one. :D

but with all victories enabled. :lol:
All Victory Conditions are enabled in this game as well. We suggest Culture VC so the games are comparable. However, you are free to choose whichever VC you like. Good Luck!

Top Bottom