1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

News: 6otM59 Announcement

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, Mar 14, 2019.

1. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Civilization VI - Game of the Month 59

Welcome to the 59th game in the 6OTM Series, and the first game in the Gathering Storm expansion! These games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out the new features in Civ6 in a friendly environment. Participants are encouraged to post questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads (described below). Each game will specify the Civ you will play and the Victory Condition to strive for. We will be working to refine the 6otM concept as we move ahead with the series. Gifting of cities is an exploit in a religious VC as the AI cant see that it will lose if it accepts the cities.

Must Read!
    Civ VI - 6otM 59 Details:
    Here is where you will start:
    6otM_59_Start.jpg

Mansa Musa's Unique Attributes:

Spoiler :
    Mansa Musa's Special Ability: Sahel Merchants: International Trade Routes gain +1 Gold for every flat Desert tile in the original city. Receive +1 Trade Capacity every time you enter a Golden Age.

Unique Ability
    : Songs of the Jeli: City Centers gain +1 Faith and +1 Food for every adjacent Desert and Desert Hill tiles. Mines receive -1 Production and +4 Gold. May purchase Commercial Hub district buildings with Faith. -30% Production towards constructing buildings or training units.

Unique Unit: Mandekalu Cavalry: Mali unique Medieval Era unit that replaces the Knight. Trader units are immune to being plundered if they are within 4 tiles of a Mandekalu Cavalry and on a land tile. Combat victories provide Gold equal to 100% that unit's base Combat Strength. Requires the knowledge of Stirrups to build them and does not requiring a resource.

Unique Infrastructure: Suguba: A district unique to the Mali specializing in finance and trade that replaces the Commercial Hub. Units, Buildings and Districts are 20% cheaper to purchase with Gold and Faith in this city. +2 Gold bonus for each adjacent Holy Site. +2 Gold bonus from a tile containing a River Edge. +1 Gold bonus for every two adjacent district tiles. Requires the Technology of Currency to build them.

Information about threads associated with each individual 6otM -- Must Read if you are new to our Game of the Month!
    Please note: If you wish to make a video of your game, please do not post any links to it until after the game submission date has passed. This is because of the potential spoilers that are created by posting before the end date. Thank you for your cooperation.

Spoiler :
    Announcement thread (this one): This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Once you have opened the save, DO NOT POST in the Announcement thread, even non game-related information. Instead use the next thread.

Opening Actions thread: This thread is used to discuss the game's opening decisions and strategies through the first 100 or so turns. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. We encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshot. During the time the game is active, please do not post any information concerning the game outside of the spoiler threads including screen shots, videos, or recorded/live-cast Let's Plays on other websites.

After Actions thread: In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state your victory/loss date and final score (preferably in the post title) and describe your path to glory in this post! Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after one month, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

File Upload System
    In development.

This game runs for a month and ends April 15th, 2019.

Attached Files:

Eyswein likes this.
  2. Poczwar

Poczwar Chieftain

Start not on desert ? Have to waste some turns to reach it up north

Eyswein likes this.
  3. DanQuayle

DanQuayle Chieftain

Not sure I will have the patience to play this (Diplomatic victory).
    I secretly hoped for a Deity/Domination/Ngazargamu game.

4. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Hey @DanQuayle , why not play it Dom?
    I am going to.
    I really cannot survive another dip game

5. Lord Yanaek

Lord Yanaek Chieftain

Having tested Mali a bit, here's a few things i noticed.
    • "Wasting" a couple turns to settle next to desert is worth it as the free food will quickly get you back on business and the free faith is invaluable in grabbing an early pantheon, possibly a religion and the era points towards a Monumentality GA that rocks with all the faith Mali can crank out.
    • Your early game will be a slog with no production from mines and production penalty. Sure once you get the gold pump going they are strong but your ability to assemble an early army is quite limited. Get Agoge ASAP (as you should anyway, but even more with Mali).
    • Be careful that an adjacent spy doesn't protect the Suguba, the spy has to be inside the Suguba to stop enemy spies from stealing your money (and Allah knows they will try :crazyeye:).
    I never played Diplomatic victory, is it that bad? I'd bet Mali can be pretty good at buying favours (and just about buying anything after a slow start). Will have to finish messing with Incas first but i'm definitely interested in testing both Mali and Diplo VC.

Eyswein likes this.
  6. Victoria

Playa dip and see, that way at least you can then speak with authority.
    Basically Mansa can easily win a dip, it is a faceroll. It is just that it takes sooo long. It is the opposite of the much espoused next turn mentality.

Eyswein likes this.
  7. kb27787

kb27787 Chieftain

On non-deity nonetheless... Even on deity the eras feel SO SLOW that I feel the game should be over by the time the first vote starts...

And I guess you need to win 3-4 such votes coupled with two from the tech and civics tree? This will take 300 turns maybe.

8. arthur486

arthur486 Chieftain

Well this really dampened my enthusiasm... guess I will replay the Inca game I've abandoned and report on that first :sad:

9. FeiLing

FeiLing Chieftain

Is that true? Or a bug with the Suguba in particular, since a spy should protect all adjacent districts to the tile he's occupying, no?
    Or is your statement made under the assumption that you were robbed once even with spy in place? (which wouldn't mean that it wasn't protected, the spy just failed at it (as it's not 100%))?

10. Eyswein

Eyswein Chieftain

Really looking forward to Mali! I've never played a Diplomatic victory, so I don't have the aversion to it yet that @DanQuayle and @Victoria have, but understand comments just from reading it - I was avoiding it just because it looked sloggish. Definitely will be fun at least one.

- Concur with @Poczwar & @Lord Yanaek that moving to get the capital next to desert tiles is a great way to go. Based upon what is shown, first step for me: warrior W, activate settler lens to see if 2NE has water or warrior discovers desert/water combo to W, settler move TBD.
    - I want at least 2 desert tiles next to capital for the +2 faith so I will much more likely be able to get Goddess of the Harvest, not that it likely will be of any use for the capital. However, later faith buying with Suguba & Grand Masters' Chapel would be awesome.
    - If I don't have much stuff to chop in capital or 2d city, then Pingala will likely be my first governor. If low on Era Score, maybe Amani for early rotating Suz for the +2 era score each time, but with it looking like we are the most southern Civ I can see barbarian spams being likely making Amani less likely to be needed for era score.
    - Need to reach future era Techs & Civics for the +1 each dip victory points. Hence, I'd like a religion with Jesuit Education (faith buy science/culture buildings) & Religious Unity (faith spread +1 envoy at CS for faster Suz for more Dip Favor).
    - Seems like eliminating my continent AIs, then making an alliance with the most advanced remaining AIs while eliminating any AIs that are far behind could speed up the later eras. Of course, does fewer AI mean less chance at Aid Requests? Need at least one random bonus to get +4 outside the votes for +2 each.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 6:52 PM
    arthur486, Cherenkov and Victoria like this.
  11. Cherenkov

Cherenkov Chieftain

Only tried Mali once and it was so frustrating dealing with that -30% production issue with buildings and units until you got the money to just buy things.

I might follow Sostratus' Mali guide and go with Reyna & Free Inquiry and try to optimize suguba adjaceny with holy sites. But at some point I'm guessing I will have to go to war to eliminate the competition..please be iron nearby for those Mandekalu :) If you can get a religion and Jesuit Education that will help a ton.

Link to guide: https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/hansa-suguba-guide.27369/

Quote from guide:

In the Malinese case, it is simple: Mali is very gold and faith oriented; getting as much gold as early as possible is how you get the most out of the civ. I should also point out that the governor Reyna has a promotion to grant +100% adj to commercial hubs and harbors in her city; further the "Free Inquiry" Golden Age dedication in the Classical and Medieval Eras grants science to all Commercial Hubs and Harbors based on their adjacency, 1:1. This means that, if you built a Crescent in your first 3 cities, and place Reyna in the +8 city, you can get 26 science just from those 3 districts on a classical golden age. Not bad.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 9:42 AM
  12. Poczwar

Poczwar Chieftain

Reyna with Mali might be worth for starting governor. Ability for buying districts is nice and with Mali gold might be easier :)

13. Victoria

I am going to take an alternative view tonight. I’ll not settle on desert and see how it goes. Call me crazy but I prefer grassland hills and something to chop. If itall goes wrong then hey ho, we live and learn.
    I’ll consider Amani for a golden classical if need be.

14. Lord Yanaek

Lord Yanaek Chieftain

I had a spy adjacent and was robbed like 6 times in a row, then i put a spy directly in the Suguba and every further attempt was blocked. That city had very high gold production so it was a priority target and received a lot of spies. Not enough to be statistically significant, but enough to be a strange coincidence unless there's a bug with the spies protection.

As for packing Sugubas and Holy Sites from several cities. Not sure how can be done on that map. There's a lux on the river unfortunately and it looks like a delta and some cliffs to the south so the coast is nearby. Maybe in the desert area to the north.

15. Casualty of war

Casualty of war Chieftain

Mali blossoms if you can settle near non-Mine hammers. Look for the hammer-rich Quarries and Camps, forested hills. Also if you settle right on top of the resource, it's not actually a Mine so you still get full benefit; planting on Copper is pretty sweet.

I've found if you settle too Desert-rich with Mali, you grow right into Happiness problems.

16. DanQuayle

DanQuayle Chieftain

Yeah, probably what I will end up doing.
    Wiping out your main continent is probably a good idea for a diplomatic victory anyway, since it will secure you all the CS on it.

17. assegai

assegai Chieftain

Building the statue of liberty grants 1 diplomatic victory point, may help speed up things but requires some planning (city on the coast with harbour, and perhaps great engineer)

Then another trick to boost science in a desert setup: once with a Nubia game I had Desert Folklore and a +10 holy site besides the Eye of Sahara, and I got Hildegard of Bingen great scientist -- with double holy site adjacency card, that gave me +20 science per turn