1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

News : Announcement TSG190

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Game Of The Month' started by Knowtalent, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Knowtalent

Knowtalent Emperor GOTM Staff

Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 190
    \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////
    Welcome to the 161st game in the GOTM V Training Series! This Series will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these features from Civ5's expansions and DLCs in a friendly environment. Participants are encouraged to post questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads (described below). Each game will specify the Civ you will play and the Victory Condition to strive for. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread.
    Must Read!
    Civ V BNW - TSG190 Details:
    German Unique Abilities:
    Spoiler :
    UA: :Furor Teutonicus:

• Upon defeating a Barbarian unit inside an encampment, there is a 67% chance to earn 25 Gold and they join the Germans
      • Pay 25% less for land unit maintenance
    UU: Panzer - a Unique unit that replaces the Tank it is stronger and faster than the Tank
    UB Hanse -Replaces Bank it provides 5% bonus production for each trade route with a city sate .

tsg190.jpg
    Information about threads associated with each individual TSG -- Must Read if you are new to our Game of the Month!
    Spoiler :
    Please note: If you wish to make a video of your game, please do not post any links to it until after the game submission date has passed. This is because of the potential spoilers that are created by posting before the end date. Thank you for your cooperation.
    TSG Announcement thread (this one): This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (dont be afraid to ask questions). Its also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please dont post any game-related info once you open and play the save. Instead use the next thread.

After Actions thread: In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state your victory/loss date (preferably in the post title) and describe your path to glory in this post! Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after one month, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.
    Results and Congratulations thread: We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the one month submission period (sorted by earliest date and highest score ). We will issue a medal to the top winner (based on earliest date finished for each VC). There are no long-term records kept for these results, they are just given out to top finishers to reward their efforts.

File Upload System
    We have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature) Please note: you must submit your game on the turn following Victory. If you continue to play, the game overwrites the data and your submission could be rejected by the submission system.
    This game runs for a month and ends Feb 15 2020.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  2. Nizef

Nizef Warlord

One of the civs I like more than average. They have both a fun UA and UB, which requires you to think ahead a little bit. And a Salt start too! I thought they were banned in GotM :) At least I can´t recall playing one within this framework... This one shouts SIP. Or does anybody have a better idea?

3. vadalaz

vadalaz King

It depends on what the warrior finds, but judging from the screenshot I'm not huge a fan of SIP here. Not enough mid to late game growth potential there. Settling on Sugar or the tile west of it could be decent, that only loses the mountain but gets Cargo ships and maybe coastal resources.

4. Nizef

Nizef Warlord

Very true, this is why I asked. Even as a regular Deity-player I still feel that I am not very good at evaluating the starting position, especially regarding the long term implications. Settling on Sugar would keep the three Salt tiles and the Stone in range, albeit in the third ring. From the screenshot it looks like there is Flood plains on the east side of the river or am I just making it up?

5. vadalaz

vadalaz King

Yeah, it does seem so. Unless the warrior finds something interesting, I'll probably settle on the grassland W of the Sugar to work the cows immediately and have both the plains Salts in the 2nd ring, plus that picks up the sheep tile in the third ring. Settling on the Sugar would be a bit of a low-production nightmare in the early game.

6. fatusblobus

fatusblobus Chieftain

I'm currently on turn 75

On turn 1 I was almost certain that I was going to move the settler around the mountain but when I moved the warrior to have a look it wasn't the tile I was expecting, so I settled in place.

Not sure how much I can say about the terrain and my actions in this thread? Can I add spoiler text? What is the command for this?

7. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Emperor

Once you actually do anything (move your settler or warrior, or settle your city in place) you really shouldn't post in the announce thread. It's too easy to accidentally give spoilers. You can post early in the "After" tread. (there used to be an intermediate thread for mid-game)

The command for spoilers is under the drop-down button for Insert, they just don't belong in this thread. HTH :)

8. fatusblobus

fatusblobus Chieftain

Thanks

I've had to head out and I'm approaching turn 100 so I'll hop over to that thread and give an update on my game so far

9. raider980

raider980 Warlord

I like settling on calendar resources so I thought, Sugar/Coast/River is awesome. Hard to move away from two Salt start though. And then I noticed the Sugar is on a Flood Plain (I think). If a city is built on FP it wipes them out and its just desert underneath so that's out. But what happens if you build a plantation on a Flood Plain? Does the extra food stay or is the FP wiped out?

So I was thinking SiP but then I read above its not so good. I didn't think about mid/late game growth. Question though, its got a lot of grassland and a couple FP to the NE, how come that is not good? I'm guessing because of food cargo ships. I never tend to run those though, I always have too much trouble with gold. Now that I look at it, I would think production would be more of a problem with SiP, only two hills visible.

Now I'm thinking, the coast may wrap around to the east, what if that hill to the east of the mountain is coastal. That would be a great place to settle. Too bad the warrior can't get there in one move. And I don't think I can waste 3 or 4 turns on Immortal. I think I'll move the warrior east and the settler to the grassland spot next to the sugar. Then next turn move the warrior to the hill and check it out before settling.

10. fatusblobus

fatusblobus Chieftain

It really depends on whether you plan to play tall or wide

SIP here is fine for a wide game

11. Nizef

Nizef Warlord

As a fun fact, the Major Gauntlet for January is also Germany on Immortal. This month will be mostly about killing barb camps and befriending CS. :)

12. raider980

raider980 Warlord

Anyone played Hemisphere map before? At first I thought it meant the map didn't scroll east and west. But I looked it up and it seems to be like continents. But one place said it has two continents and another said it could have 3 or 5 continents. How is it different from regular Continents?

13. Nizef

Nizef Warlord

There is one more catch to this setup: The "No City Razing"-option is enabled.

14. beetle

beetle Deity

Trying this map. I haven’t played in six months.

Knowtalent likes this.
  15. Nizef

Nizef Warlord

Hi, beetle. Welcome back!

16. beetle

beetle Deity

Thanks Nizef and Knowtalent! I almost forgot to submit!