News: BOTM 107 Results and Congratulations

neilmeister

Lentils have feelings too
GOTM Staff
Sorry about the delay... thought I did this a while ago and have been very busy

Domination, Diplo & Space were by far the most popular victories, with some very impressive scores. Considering this was a Hub map I was a little surprised that there were many Domination victories... seems like a lot of work to me ;)

hhhawk, nocho & shulec took out the medals and one award each, kcd_swede managed a very good religious date for this map, ShiVvV did it the very hard way with fastest conquest, Minou with space and High King JJ with a relatively late, but still fastest, culture.

Summary of Medal Winners:

hhhawk: 1818 AD Domination Victory, 310,595 points.

nocho: 1540 AD Diplomatic Victory, 253,620 points.

shulec: 1685 AD Domination Victory, 246,176 points.

Fastest Finish Award Winners:

Minou: 1836 AD Spaceship Victory, 163,017 points.

ShiVvV: 1808 AD Conquest Victory, 136,850 points.

kcd_swede: 75 AD Religious Victory, 68,570 points.

High King J.J.: 1901 AD Cultural Victory, 60,337 points.

Other Award Winners:

Deckhand: 1812 AD Domination Victory, 199,021 points.

ub40: 1905 AD Diplomatic Victory, 50,257 points.

Thomasthebold: 1934 AD Spaceship Victory, 27,688 points.

ric_hard: 1942 AD Spaceship Loss, 6,108 points.

donsig: 1730 AD Conquest Loss, 1,385 points.

>> See the full results here.
>> See the updated global rankings here.
>> See the latest Pantheon of Heroes here.
>> You can see and compare graphic replays of all the submissions here.
>> Award symbols are listed here.

Where everyone settled, I am a little surprised most took the PH as I think I would have gone for 2 pigs like Jovan.

Thanks, Neil. Know you've been busy and the time you take to host these events is appreciated.

Two games stand out to me: Nocho's fast UN date (1540AD) and kcd_swede's very fast AP win (75AD). Minou's 1836AD space is also very solid.

Scores were impressive too in this BOTM-- hhhawk breaking 300K with four others at 199K or above. Well done.

I got extremely lucky with the Dom/Conq coin-flip at end of game giving me Conquest, which allowed me to sneak away with a medal for a game that's not all that impressive. But...I'll take it! :)

Edit: As an afterthought, if you guys could create a "Ridiculously long game time" award I'm sure I'd be a real threat to win every one of those!

Edit: As an afterthought, if you guys could create a "Ridiculously long game time" award I'm sure I'd be a real threat to win every one of those!
I second the motion. And if you were to apply the award to past played games I'd sure get a lot of awards too...:rolleyes:

I too appreciate the trouble of making these Botm games. :hatsoff:

Thanks for the Game.

Congrats to the players.
I got extremely lucky with the Dom/Conq coin-flip at end of game giving me Conquest, which allowed me to sneak away with a medal for a game that's not all that impressive. But...I'll take it! :)
"not all that impressive" is about the same as my best. ;)
Fifth place score, and I get low scoring Dom award. :crazyeye:
I made mistake of taking a city in final vassalization and ended up with Domination instead of Conquest. :mad: So, I was glad you beat me by 4 years so I didn't miss out on "fastest".
Spoiler :
I could have won a couple turns sooner but was pumping up my score by taking more cities.

Spoiler :
So, there is really a coin flip?
I was almost convinced it wasn't.

"not all that impressive" is about the same as my best. ;)
Fifth place score, and I get low scoring Dom award. :crazyeye:
By not that impressive I meant compared to much earlier Conquest dates we routinely see here in BOTMs. Any Conquest victory for me (considering my builder tendencies) is...unusual and self-impressive? :confused: It should be noted that my finish date is only two turns quicker and your score is 60K+ higher...so congrats! Also, I won with nukes which, while fun, aren't nearly as impressive as Conquest earlier via medieval/rifle/cav etc.
I made mistake of taking a city in final vassalization and ended up with Domination instead of Conquest. :mad: So, I was glad you beat me by 4 years so I didn't miss out on "fastest".
I could have won a couple turns sooner but was pumping up my score by taking more cities.
To be completely honest I can recall thinking I'd messed up taking the final capitulation when I did--because I considered Domination being the better choice to win an award/medal :lol:...seriously! If I recall correctly, I just blindly took the capitulation without checking first to see how close Domination was. So, I basically just got lucky there. When the game gave me Conquest I was like..oh well. Just the way the chips fell on this particular BOTM.
So, there is really a coin flip?
I was almost convinced it wasn't.
As far as I know there is. However I'm no expert on this and am merely repeating something I've read on the forums concerning Dom vs Conq.

:) That would be a nice idea if it were possible. Unfortunately, there's no easy way to distinguish time that someone is playing from time that someone has simply left the game running while they go and have dinner. So it would be very easy for someone to win the award merely by loading the game as soon as it's available for download, then leaving their computer with civ loaded for the entire month of the competition before submitting half an hour before the deadline - even if they only actually play the game on a couple of days during that month!

btw I started this game but got distracted by real life stuff so never got much past 1AD, and (obviously) didn't submit. I really loved this map though. Very nice start. Impressed as usual by some of the victory dates.

@DS
Sorry, I was joking. I'm regularly amazed at how fast folks can play this game--while my games times are 2-3X theirs.

Thanks, Neil. Know you've been busy and the time you take to host these events is appreciated.

Two games stand out to me: Nocho's fast UN date (1540AD) and kcd_swede's very fast AP win (75AD). Minou's 1836AD space is also very solid.

Scores were impressive too in this BOTM-- hhhawk breaking 300K with four others at 199K or above. Well done.

Thanks for the praise, but... I was actually a little disappointed in failing to win in the BC years. This game seemed set up like a HOF start for fast AP finish, and I couldn't resist going for it.

But had I coordinated the chops for AP build or managed my misionaries better, a BC date was available. I was just too conservative - overbuilt and self-spread for more votes than I actually needed. I won the first victory election by less than 10 votes, so the outcome was certainly safer than if I threw caution to the wind and pulled out all the stops to get that BC finish. So I am both frustrated by my lack of guts and happy about the win - and thankful that Neilmeister couldn't play this one (because with this leader/map combo I have no doubt he could get a BC finish).

In retrospect I should have taken more risks... I'd have eventually won the AP vote even if I missed by just a couple votes in the BC years, and since it was the only AP win submitted, I'd have the exact same sheild/fastest finish combo I got.

So the lesson I take home is some times you just have to roll the dice.

The only thing I hate about the fast winning is that the game is over so quickly. It was a lot of fun while it lasted, though. Thanks Neil for providing a fun game!:goodjob: Looking forward to many more from you.;)

And congrats to all the winners, and thanks for the community of players who keep it all worthwhile and interesting!

Top Bottom