1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

News: BOTM 108 - Starts June 01, 2016

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by kcd_swede, May 30, 2016.

1. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Jag är Viking!½ GOTM Staff

BOTM 108: Catherine - Ladies Night

Ladies Night! All the BtS ladies in one place! Woo hoo!

Note: Espionage culture victories will count as normal culture victories for this game.

Game settings:
    Playing as: Catherine of Russia
    Rivals: 5 AI
    Difficulty: Monarch
    Starting Era: Ancient
    Speed: Normal
    Options: no huts, no events
    Victory Conditions: All enabled

Map settings:
    Map: Maze x4 wide
    World Wrap: Cylindrical
    Mapsize: Standard

Your traits are Creative and Imperialistic
    and you start with knowledge of HUNTING, and MINING

Creative +2 culture per city.
    Double production speed of Library, Theater, and Colosseum.
    Imperialistic Great General emergence increased 100 percent.
    50% faster production of Settlers.

Unique unit Cossack; Replaces Cavalry
    Doesn't receive defensive bonuses
    Can withdraw from combat (30% chance)
    +50% vs. Cannons
    +50% vs. Mounted Units
    Can flank attack against cannons

Unique building is the Research Institute; Replaces Laboratory
    Unique building for the Russians; Replaces Laboratory
    +1 unhealth
    +25% science
    +50% spaceship production
    Can turn 1 citizen into scientist
    +2 free scientists

Starting screenshot

This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Adventurer Class bonuses:
    N/A

Challenger Class Equalizers:
    N/A

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open at 00:01 am on 01 June 2016, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.

Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 01 July 2016.

Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.

Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.

Software Versions

Windows: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the BUFFY mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.

Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the Mac BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the Mac BUFFY mod here.

While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.

2. Deckhand

Deckhand Procrastination at its finest GOTM Staff

:cool:

:love: :queen:
    Catherine was one of three leaders who hadn't starred in a BOTM. I was thinking of a similar theme for BOTM 109.
    Spoiler :
    So, now you are going to get Mao instead.
    Spoiler :
    Did you mean to call her Cathrine, or was that a typo?
    Settle in place for fresh water and plains hill? or delay settling to get gold in bfc?
    Where move scout?

3. kcd_swede

Bet your sory now that you reminded me to get the announcement out. As for Mao, that would sure be an interesting chioce for a Ladies Night... :lol:

Thanks for the typo fixer-upper. If I was going to use some other form of the in-game name, I would have tried Katrinka.

4. Deckhand

Spoiler :
    The other unused botm leader is Asoka, but I just used him in gotm; and a long time ago I already did a game questioning his gender :lol:
    oh no problem, just wanted to see who you were picking before starting - trying to get an early start for a change.

5. Jastrow

Jastrow Deity

In case anyone is wondering, I believe Fishing costs 59 beakers on these setting. We can make 10 or 11 bpt at the start (depending on if we work the spices of, say, the banana tile). In either case, this means fishing in 6 turns.

I am tempted to:

-SIP.
    -Work banana for 6 turns while building a warrior (12 H in, 18 food)
    -two turns on Workboat working spice. 6 Hammers, 22 Food = growth
    -Complete Workboat working 2x(1F2H) = 6H per turn = 4 more turn

With nothing good for a worker to do, I probably will build a second Workboat before the worker.... I am even entertaining the almost sacrilegious though of building the lighthouse before a worker?! And of course, GLH is a must on the map...

6. Barristan

Barristan Chieftain

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking around for a few weeks, marveling at the amount of knowledge/wisdom gathered on these boards and enjoying game reports (props to Seraiel in particular).

I've been playing the game on and off for years, never been very good at it but I feel like I've learned a lot just reading about strategies here. And I do love it.

Anyway I'll try to give a go at this, I've just started playing in Monarch so this should be a good test ;)

7. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

Clever thinking. But if you settle in place, I fear you might have trouble working the banana before your border pops!

8. haphazard1

haphazard1 Dancing Bear

Thanks for the game, kcd_swede! Hmmm, gold would be really nice, but I do like that plains hill. Hmmmm.

Welcome to GOTM, Barristan! I have learned a lot from these games over the years, and seeing how much stronger players approached a situation differently than I did. (With "differently" almost always meaning "better" in this case! :lol:)

9. DynamicSpirit

I'm also wondering about the risks of orphaning that gold if you settle in place. Moving West to get the gold in the capital seems out of the question due to losing the plains hill speedup plus either settling on the spices or taking 2 turns to move. However, if we settle in-place we're very dependent on there being some other food to the west allowing a 2nd city to work that gold. I wonder if we could reduce the risk by settling on the plains hill N-NE. That at least guarantees that a 2nd city can share the fish plus use the gold. However whether that's worth it may depend on what else is around the NE.

Sadly, there's no way for the scout to investigate the gold before we settle, so I guess the scout will have to go NE-N to see whether there's anything that makes the northern plains hill more worthwhile.

10. Jastrow

Jastrow Deity

C*&^(*&!!

Well, even without the Banana for the first 3 turns, a similar plan is only 1 turns slower. Not quite as nice, but still the way I am leaning...

11. kcd_swede

You are welcome for the game. I unfogged some tiles because otherwise there was few smart options. Now I hope there are several smart options that depend on what you are trying to accomplish.:) IRL I get no thanks from the people I set parameters for, so it is especially nice to be appreciated here.:thanx:

Welcome also from me, Barristan. When I started here, Prince level was a challenge. So I hope your learning curve is better than mine, because this game just wipes me out.;)

12. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

We'd have appreciated you even more, swede, if you didn't accidentally misplace that gold. :mischief:

13. kcd_swede

Bwa ha ha...

You think that was accident?:satan:

14. DynamicSpirit

I don't doubt that the placing of that gold on that particular tile was deliberately. However, I do think it was careless of you when you accidentally forgot to put the other 3 golds in the starting area. I think some more care in that regard in future games wouldn't go amiss... ;)

15. Deckhand

Well, I doubt it.
    I think he just unfogged it, because of this:
    It was really generous of him to unfog the banana so we would know about that awesome food source. ;)

I agree:yup:

16. Barristan

Barristan Chieftain

Thanks a lot for the warm welcome!

Sorry if this is explained everywhere but I haven't found the answer yet... I have the HOF mod, it loads fine (and is a game-changer!).

However after downloading the save and placing it in my Saves folder, I get this message when trying to load it:

'The save you have selected is protected to ensure the assets in your mod folders have not been changed.'

I know there is an option to lock modified assets or some such but I'm not sure how to proceed from there.

Thanks in advance!

17. lymond

Barristan - C'mon issue with the newer OSs, so make sure you follow these instructions to a tee:

http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ4/mod.php?show=vista

Should resolve it. Steam version my have some different issues, if you have that, but I've no clue what to do for it. Someone here would, if needed.

18. Barristan

Barristan Chieftain

Alas no joy.

Initially I had trouble running BUFFY to accept HOF-valid games. Eventually after doing the Steam trick to change the version it worked.

Now I have attempted the solutions listed in your link but same message. Unless I missed the correct .exe, Steam can be a mess when trying to locate folders :crazyeye:

19. lymond

Check neilmeister's post near the bottom in the Win 10 thread a few posts down. It may help with the Steam issue.

20. Deckhand

Also, don't forget to update the DLL file - that was my mistake. - applies to vanilla not bts :blush:

All my steam games are in this folder:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common