News: BOTM 111 Results and Congratulations

DynamicSpirit

Fear him of the pink tie
GOTM Staff

Firstly, congratulations to neilmeister (the human one, not the AI) on gaining his second eptathlete, with a 1525AD fastest diplo victory – incidentally beating kcd_swede (also the human one) to a diplo win by over 300 years! This is perhaps somewhat ironic given that in this game, the AI neilmeister was a prime target for many players! Well done neilmeister!

Since this game was players vs staff, I’ll also mention that Deckhand wasn’t short of awards. While the AI Deckhand suffered at AI kcd_swede/Humbaba’s hands, the human one picked up fastest space (1886AD) and the cow (base score of 9161).

Meanwhile the three medals all went to dominations (was it something us staff had done?): Jovan Kukic – gold - also the fastest domination (1260AD), ShiVvV the silver (1450AD) and shulec the bronze (1750AD). georgjorge was just behind in score with a 1010AD fastest conquest. Since that means that georgjorge must’ve attacked and killed all of us staff members – all I can say is – we’ll be watching you (admittedly, from our graves).

I’ll also mention HuginotMunin, who up to now has won fastest diplo in every game he’s submitted – until this one – with a fastest culture instead! This was the only cultural victory, but the 1500AD date was very good for culture so I suspect could well have won even if there was any competition.
Well done everyone!

Summary of Medal Winners:

Jovan Kukic: 1260 AD Domination Victory, 312,512 points.

ShiVvV: 1450 AD Domination Victory, 245,962 points.

shulec: 1750 AD Domination Victory, 241,727 points.

Fastest Finish Award Winners:

georgjorge: 1010 AD Conquest Victory, 228,672 points.

neilmeister: 1525 AD Diplomatic Victory, 192,865 points.

Deckhand: 1886 AD Spaceship Victory, 120,959 points.

HuginogMunin: 1500 AD Cultural Victory, 78,676 points.

Other Award Winners:

Kime11: 1874 AD Conquest Victory, 108,897 points.

ric_hard: 1882 AD Domination Victory, 74,667 points.

kcd_swede: 1882 AD Diplomatic Victory, 65,954 points.

reedmaster: 1954 AD Spaceship Victory, 17,416 points.

donsig: 1977 AD Spaceship Loss, 2,133 points.

>> See the full results here.
>> See the updated global rankings here.
>> See the latest Pantheon of Heroes here.
>> You can see and compare graphic replays of all the submissions here.
>> Award symbols are listed here.

Here's where everyone settled.

The Small Print:
The numbers by each player's name indicate the turn settled on (starting turn is 0). Players are colour coded by game class (challenger=red, adventurer=blue). Symbols indicate victory condition, if there's no symbol then the player either retired or was defeated. The yellow border indicates the land that was visible at the start of the game.

A few people commented in the spoilers about waiting to attack the staff because of the warning in the pre-game thread to check what you were up against. Actually the main reason I gave that warning was because of the kcd_swede/Humbaba alliance: I was concerned that people might attack one of them without noticing that the two AIs' were in a team.

Having said that, I did give everyone a little something. AlanH and Deckhand started the game with several CG3 longbows - that was after test plays revealed that they invariably got attacked by swede/Humbaba early on, so I thought I should give them something to keep them alive! You'll also have noticed DynamicSpirit started with the city of Heaven on an island accessible only by galleys. Well, can you blame me for wanting to protect myself against being wiped out early by all you evil humans? :) neilmeister didn't get any benefits. I didn't think he needed them - the map generator gave him such a good start surrounded by gold!

And don't think you, Little Gotm Player, missed out... I created a nice inland lake with a super-magic fish, just for you!

Since that means that georgjorge must’ve attacked and killed all of us staff members – all I can say is – we’ll be watching you (admittedly, from our graves).

Actually, everyone but neilmeister (sorry!) was granted vassalage in the end. Thanks again for hosting!

I initially thought that not rushing DynamicSpirit with War Chariots was a mistake, but the extra island really made Feudalism for vassaling (instead of having to conquer the island) the better route.

I thoroughly enjoyed this game but didn't submit because I cheated. :blush: I settled down south on the (unknown) horses to take advantage of the seafood, lake, and gems while also keeping the corn. My first-built settler was aiming for NW of the corn. I had the resource signs on and didn't see the barb warrior hiding beneath the wine bubble--moved right next to him to settle, saw my grievous mistake, and said "Oh <foo>!". Not wanting to ruin my enjoyment of what looked to be a fun game, I reloaded from the previous turn and this time sent a warrior ahead to invite the barb to kill himself. Tsk, very sloppy fogbusting. :hammer2:

I left DS alone and he eventually peace vassaled. He was a good trading buddy and I didn't have to worry about losing my trade connections when DoWing the other AIs. I started my warring rather late, early ADs, I think. Neil went first, then kcd/Humbaba. DH was getting squeezed by Alan and kcd so I thoughtfully helped him out by liberating a couple cities that meanie kcd had taken from him (after I took Washington off his hands and vassalized him). A few of Alan's cities gave enough for a Dom win in 1430. Fun scenario, DS! :mwaha: Sorry I botched it!

First off, congrats to Neilmeister for achieving his 2nd statue (in a game in which AI-Neil was almost universally vassaled/eliminated !).

3 Conquests and 8 Domination games submitted out of a total of 20 game submissions--we Little GOTM players must really have it out for The Staff :lol:.

Some really nice games/dates by Neil (diplo), Jovan (Dom), Georg (Conq) and Huginog (Culture).

@Georgjorge- I think you might have had the right idea in just teching to Guilds and knight-stomping the map (instead of Lib>MT as I did). Heck I even teched to Steel which was completely unnecessary. I'm interested in looking at Jovan Kukic's replay.

Thanks, DS, for hosting what was a very fun game to play...we appreciate you not giving us AI-Deckhand's starting position !

Thanks all, it was a fun game.

Ironically I won with the votes of my namesake (whom I had vassalled) and Humbaba!!

I have had a very poor history with Humbaba, the first time I met him he conquered my capital in 3700BC, which I am convinced is the fastest ever xOTM loss, in a game that will go down in infamy: BOTM 41

How did Monty get that name-Humbaba?

Humbaba originally was the name of a barbarian Mobile Artillery that kcd added to BOTM 41.

It conquered a few of us when we went exploring with our warrior. As it is siege, it cannot conquer itself.... unless there are no units defending.

Have a read of the first spoiler: BOTM first spoiler

You get your revenge, neil by beating me for diplo vc. Another sheild to add to my vast collection.:D

I was disappointed that the team made a PA with my in-game namesake impossible. So I just put the hate on whoever the swede-team hated on. Not so oddly, when everyone else was capitulated to me, humbaba declared war on me, But the UN had already been built by then, and all the other staff members were my vassals, so the vote for VC meant I never had to engage in battle with myself or humbaba.

If I had actualy tried for fastest diplo, I could have shaved a couple hundred turns off my victory... which anyhow would have earned a sheild, so wth, it was a lot of fun to role-play.:goodjob:

Very fun game, but didn't make it much past 1AD for a lack of time. Hilarious that kcd and Deckhand really hated eachother in my game and kept asking me to crash the other guy's skull. Great US team spirit. :D

Congrats to the winners!

You get your revenge, neil by beating me for diplo vc. Another sheild to add to my vast collection.:D

I was disappointed that the team made a PA with my in-game namesake impossible. So I just put the hate on whoever the swede-team hated on. Not so oddly, when everyone else was capitulated to me, humbaba declared war on me, But the UN had already been built by then, and all the other staff members were my vassals, so the vote for VC meant I never had to engage in battle with myself or humbaba.

Lack of imagination! :) All you needed to do was provoke Humbaba into declaring war on you (probably not too hard seeing as Humbaba was Montezuma. Settling a city near his borders and then continuing to exist ought to do it :) ), wipe out Humbaba while leaving AI Swede alone (possibly apart from defending against any of his attacks), and then AI swede should hopefully be willing to form an alliance with you. Or you could just shorten it by declaring war yourself and attacking only Humbaba, but I'm not sure whether the diplo penalty from that would make a later alliance impossible.

Of if it was me, I'd probably just declare war, wipe out Humbaba, vassal AI swede, and then I could argue that as part of my empire, the AI swede morally shared my eventual victory.

Indeed, in my game kcd was actually wiped out by AlanH, leaving Humbaba free to vote for me unimpeded from any team.

Lack of imagination! :) All you needed to do was provoke Humbaba into declaring war on you (probably not too hard seeing as Humbaba was Montezuma. Settling a city near his borders and then continuing to exist ought to do it :) ), wipe out Humbaba while leaving AI Swede alone (possibly apart from defending against any of his attacks), and then AI swede should hopefully be willing to form an alliance with you. Or you could just shorten it by declaring war yourself and attacking only Humbaba, but I'm not sure whether the diplo penalty from that would make a later alliance impossible.

Of if it was me, I'd probably just declare war, wipe out Humbaba, vassal AI swede, and then I could argue that as part of my empire, the AI swede morally shared my eventual victory.
Wish I had thought of that, actually. Humbaba strikes again!:lol:

Some really nice games/dates by Neil (diplo), Jovan (Dom), Georg (Conq) and Huginog (Culture).

I'm interested in looking at Jovan Kukic's replay.

Today I noticed that there are BOTM 111 results. It was a nice game, but also a unique opportunity to beat all the GOTM staff in one game ;)
ShiVvV, I'll put my replay in the attachment. It is good that I delete saves and replay only after the game results are published :)

Attachments

• Little GOTM Player_AD-1260_15.CivBeyondSwordReplay
    233.8 KB · Views: 36
Top Bottom