1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] News: BOTM 122 Results and Congratulations

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by DynamicSpirit, Feb 11, 2017.

1. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

Congratulations – everyone who played did manage to escape from 2016 (although some might question whether 2017 is actually any better :) ), and with a good variety of victory conditions. Dhoomstriker pulled off an unusual combination of gold-medal space-win (1780AD). neilmeister's fastest domination (1670AD) secured him the silver medal, while Jovan Kukic achieved bronze with a fastest conquest (1210 AD). Thus, almost everyone who won a fastest victory award also got a medal. The one exception was nocho, who won fastest domination in 1470 AD (Sorry, only three medals, so none left :) ).

Well done everyone!

Summary of Medal Winners:

Dhoomstriker: 1780 AD Spaceship Victory, 187,552 points.

neilmeister: 1670 AD Domination Victory, 164,336 points.

Jovan Kukic: 1210 AD Conquest Victory, 158,373 points.

Fastest Finish Award Winners:

nocho: 1470 AD Diplomatic Victory, 121,840 points.

Other Award Winners:

UB40: 1852 AD Conquest Victory, 49,186 points.

greatbeyond: 1988 AD Domination Victory, 17,675 points.

kcd_swede: 1960 AD Spaceship Victory, 15,887 points.

>> See the full results here.
    >> See the updated global rankings here.
    >> See the latest Pantheon of Heroes here.
    >> You can see and compare graphic replays of all the submissions here.
    >> Award symbols are listed here.

2. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

Here's where everyone settled.

Well that was interesting! And - for me - unexpected. I designed the start area to make everyone have to think, so I'm not too surprised at there being a variety of choices. But I am surprised that so few people opted for the plains hill 2N of the settler - which would give one of the fastest ever worker builds in a GOTM (thanks to plains hill AND a 4-food tile next to it giving an unbelievable 6H/turn towards the first worker right off the bat) as well as - for fantasy realm, a relatively lush, riverside capital. Personally I thought settling there would be a huge attraction once people had considered all the options. But no, people chose everywhere, with a few people evidently prioritising getting the metals early on. kcd_swede even chose a starting tile guaranteed to give an extra-slow worker build! (only 3H instead of the usual 4 until the borders popped) (Didn't stop him winning a space race in the end though). A fascinating set of settling decisions. Could be interesting to hear what people's reasons for their choices were (if anyone can still remember...)

(For what it's worth, in my test plays, I generally went for the plains hill, with a 2nd city either on the rice or 1E from it.)

The Small Print:
    The numbers by each player's name indicate the turn settled on (starting turn is 0). Players are colour coded by game class (challenger=red, adventurer=blue). Symbols indicate victory condition, if there's no symbol then the player either retired or was defeated. The yellow border indicates the land that was visible at the start of the game.

3. neilmeister

neilmeister Lentils have feelings too GOTM Staff

I thought about the PH, but I was worried it was our best source of early hammers, a 3h tile without improvements is useful early on. I also thought about settling on the rice, but the lack of hammers turned me off. So in the end I decided on not making any decision, SIP and if it was bad blaming the map maker for putting my settler there!

4. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Chieftain GOTM Staff

I thought I could make up for the slow start by having faster tech rate pretty quick. Didn't pan out that way, and I was pretty sure my gamble was going to be a disadvantage once more tiles and resources were revealed in places that were hard to dot-map into. So I was pretty resigned to another sheild for my collection, from early on. Thanks for a cool game!